993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much for a 97 993 C4 cab?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007 | 09:34 PM
willik01
Rennlist Member

I was under the impression that C4 cab were made exclusively in '95 and '98 model years. See this post for two lists of production numbers:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/297816-anyone-know-how-many.html

And the HP rating suggests a non-varioram engine made in MY '95.

Of course doing some searching I did find one other member who has a '97 C4 Cab.

Anyone else have more of a clue here?
Old 08-26-2007 | 12:08 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Willik01 -

I've always had an issue with those production numbers , clearly since I owned a 96 C4 Cab that was apparently never manufactured.
Old 08-26-2007 | 01:12 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by InTheAir
The bad (kind of):
Although the color is nice for some, it is not generally a desirable combination. That is not a big deal if you plan to keep it for a long time, but resale may be a bit more challenging (especially with the blue interior). .
Originally Posted by InTheAir
As far as the color combo goes, my comment above was simply from a very generic standpoint. The number of white/blue 993 being sought after is less than more typical colors..

Jeff, you should consider teaming up with Bruce Anderson... he is also out of touch with reality.
Old 08-26-2007 | 01:54 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

hehe
Old 08-26-2007 | 03:49 AM
hddude
Racer

Originally Posted by Pete Lenzini
tmc,

I'll weigh in with some opinions. I don't know why someone would say that's not a desirable color combo. Personally, white is not at the top of my list but judging from a lot of posts here in the recent past, there are tons of people who do like white. And if I were looking for a white cab, I think the blue top goes the best with it.

Pete
OK the white paint and blue canvas top is one matter, but what about the hideous BLUE leather interior? If that appeals to someone I can only imagine what the furniture in their house looks like. How about a blue leather recliner to go with that nice purple leather sofa?
Old 08-26-2007 | 01:25 PM
tmc
Racer

Originally Posted by hddude
OK the white paint and blue canvas top is one matter, but what about the hideous BLUE leather interior? If that appeals to someone I can only imagine what the furniture in their house looks like. How about a blue leather recliner to go with that nice purple leather sofa?
Wow, just ... wow
Old 08-26-2007 | 07:41 PM
bill d cat
Feral Cat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmc
Wow, just ... wow
Dunno... he died in 1969, but I think Mies van der Rohe woulda approved of the 993!

Of blue chairs, too!

Old 08-26-2007 | 11:23 PM
tmc
Racer

'wow' as in I ask for a guess on price and I get people criticizing my living room furniture...

(which, by the way is a neutral off-white smothered with as much kid-proofing scotchguard as it could take)

Wife won't budge, she loves the car, so it's "mine."

Ouch ouch ouch. Anyone want a loaded (as in almost all of the options sheet) 2007 Boxster S with 1500 miles? Lemme know...
Old 08-27-2007 | 08:53 AM
Pete
Instructor

Originally Posted by hddude
So, you're gonna put a black or gray interior with the blue canvas top? That'll look great!

Pete
Old 08-27-2007 | 09:37 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tmc
'wow' as in I ask for a guess on price and I get people criticizing my living room furniture...

(which, by the way is a neutral off-white smothered with as much kid-proofing scotchguard as it could take)

Wife won't budge, she loves the car, so it's "mine."

Ouch ouch ouch. Anyone want a loaded (as in almost all of the options sheet) 2007 Boxster S with 1500 miles? Lemme know...
tmc -

Suffice it to say there has been some jokin' in this thread. But, nonetheless, if you did indeed buy that 993, you will be very happy. Congratulations!!
Old 08-27-2007 | 11:02 AM
tmc
Racer

Thanks, Jeff.

I feel embarrassed now that I actually like the blue interior

We agreed on $35k including the warranty, fixing some issues, and a new windshield (there was a chip in it). I likely could have done maybe $2k better, but he'ls consigning our 07 boxsters at "no cost" to us.
Old 08-27-2007 | 11:12 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Don't underestimate the value of that windshield--depending on your local installers, that can be a $700 score.

$35K seems fair'ish and you'll have a blast in it.

Drive it like you stole it.
Old 08-27-2007 | 11:32 AM
Derek_C
Instructor

With a documented reputable top end rebuild already done, I would say that you paid a fair price.
Old 08-27-2007 | 12:03 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmc
Thanks, Jeff.

I feel embarrassed now that I actually like the blue interior
Don't be. Blue interiors look horrible in pictures but its a beautiful interior color in person. My polar silver C4S has the blue interior and, while I resisted in buying it, both my SO and I love the color.

Not to take sides but I strongly agree with Jeff's comments and strongly disagree with Pete's. Yes, these are wonderful pieces of German engineering, however, in order to comply with US DOT standards, they put crapy US Monroe shocks that only last 20 or 30k mi. They may "feel okay" on the surface and may serve well if you're just driving to the mall but simply taking the car on a spirited drive will make the car feel nervous and well below its capabilities. How do I know this? Two of the three 993s that I've owned, I bought with the original shocks. The suspension seemed, as Peter points out, nothing to complain about, but after driving several 993s belonging to PCA and RL members with the upgraded suspension, the difference was night-and-day. Needless to say, the suspension was swaped.

GL with the new ride. I love white 993s and the blue interior is miles above the typical black or cashmere and clearly only for those with taste and guts to go with something different.
Old 08-27-2007 | 02:19 PM
Pete
Instructor

Originally Posted by ROKN
Don't be. Blue interiors look horrible in pictures but its a beautiful interior color in person. My polar silver C4S has the blue interior and, while I resisted in buying it, both my SO and I love the color.

Not to take sides but I strongly agree with Jeff's comments and strongly disagree with Pete's. Yes, these are wonderful pieces of German engineering, however, in order to comply with US DOT standards, they put crapy US Monroe shocks that only last 20 or 30k mi. They may "feel okay" on the surface and may serve well if you're just driving to the mall but simply taking the car on a spirited drive will make the car feel nervous and well below its capabilities. How do I know this? Two of the three 993s that I've owned, I bought with the original shocks. The suspension seemed, as Peter points out, nothing to complain about, but after driving several 993s belonging to PCA and RL members with the upgraded suspension, the difference was night-and-day. Needless to say, the suspension was swaped.

GL with the new ride. I love white 993s and the blue interior is miles above the typical black or cashmere and clearly only for those with taste and guts to go with something different.
I don't shop at malls. Since when did the US DOT start specifying shocks?

Pete

Quick Reply: How much for a 97 993 C4 cab?