Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ...lead astray...

Originally Posted by MarkD
request for flame granted....

did you READ all of the above?
if the drop link is installed properly, no problem.
why do you insist upon jumping to conclusions that tend to muddy the topic at hand?

please search for more on this topic before drawing conclusions that may lead others astray.

oh, and you should sell your car. clearly it is an accident waiting to happen. your STOCK susp. with the miles you have on it is more dangerous than any aftermarket solution.

hopefully this was the kind of reply you wanted
A recommendation to be safe and smart is not being 'led astray'. This mod with it's inherent danger borders on institutionalized recklessness for the sake of "improved performance" between red lights. The only way you can fix this is to have Bilstein engineer the "improved" component so that it is in fact an improvement, not a safety hazard. You be ashamed of yourself for using the 'led astray' quote. If you are serious about hazarding yourself and suggesting that others hazard themselves for the sake of a hokey workaround that you "hope'" won;t come loose, you are an accident waiting to happen. Better yet, tell it to your insurance underwriter - I'm sure they would understand. Get serious.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:35 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default knee jerk

Originally Posted by Marlon
A recommendation to be safe and smart is not being 'led astray'. This mod with it's inherent danger borders on institutionalized recklessness for the sake of "improved performance" between red lights. The only way you can fix this is to have Bilstein engineer the "improved" component so that it is in fact an improvement, not a safety hazard. You be ashamed of yourself for using the 'led astray' quote. If you are serious about hazarding yourself and suggesting that others hazard themselves for the sake of a hokey workaround that you "hope'" won;t come loose, you are an accident waiting to happen. Better yet, tell it to your insurance underwriter - I'm sure they would understand. Get serious.
Marlon, your knee jerk reactions and reluctance to read and learn exhaust me.
there is a massive amount of info here and much history on this exact topic. Search, read.
I am not sure why you seem to have this need to jump towards an absolute or extreme conclusion on various topics but it is kinda wierd.
Good luck sir!
Hopefully you read the above. I chose my words deliberately.
typing on a little PDA so I need to be brief... my thumbs hurt.
EDIT: you are correct, my "led astray" comment was inaccurate. I should have said "misinformation" or perhaps "fear mongering".

Last edited by MarkD; 08-25-2007 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:59 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marlon
...look at the Suspension Confession thread. Somebody will plow their car into a track wall or worse, plow into a street car or worse due to this "problem" that the community seems so ho-hum about. Why don't you put your collective heads together and talk to the Bilstein engineers (the pros) and see you if can get them to design a proper, goof-pruf solution? If it's so easy to install not bone up the installation of 1500-dollar shocks and struts - how come the installation "experts" are messing it up??? Please note that during all my posts I have not sent personal barbs.
read read read.
yes, I read that thread last year when it was originally posted. Those are PSS9s.

You really should understand what you are advising people to avoid before making such broad sweeping conclusions. There are MANY of the M030/Bilstein setups out there on the road sans deaths or accidents. If the M030 is setup with the drop link on a vertical plane it is good.
As for the personal aspect of my post, well, I call 'em as I see 'em. You do leap to conclusions without a grasp of the topic at hand. A lot of people read this stuff and it adds confusion. Conversation back and forth is good of course but jumping in and stating "stay away, danger, blah blah blah" is not productive.
Look, pissing match over on my end.
Have a nice weekend.
I have to drive back home today with a 2yo and 4yo in the back seat and they are already whining... we haven't left Sunriver yet
Old 08-25-2007, 11:19 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

I have to admit, in hindsight, parts of my post should have been handled privately.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:28 AM
eichlerman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. No
I couldn't tell without seeing them. The one that broke is about 4.5 inches end to end, with equal length threads of 1"

The OE part is about 5 3/4# end to end with 1" of thread on one end and 1/2" on the other (would that be top or bottom?)

Who has adjustable links? TRG?
Dr. No have you found a solution? The extra PSS9 drop links I have are 4.5 inches with equal threads of 1 inch. Sounds like the same ones you have. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:10 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Dr No
this happened on my TT. I dont remember exactly the issue (lots of threads) but if I recall the PSS9 install and the TRG sways took care of all the old parts that might be stressed by new components. I did the PSS9 first then those stressed the drop links and then that was replaced with TRG adjustable sways.
In hind sight it seems that the PSS9s with TRG sways will avoid this problem.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Drop Link Problem w/ HD/M030 setup