Best way to sell a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 11:33 PM
reltubp
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Best way to sell a Porsche

Hi There,

I wanted to get the experts views on the most effective way to sell a used Porsche ?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I would sell it on Autotrader, Cars.com, PCA and Craigslist and, of course, here on Rennlist.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:23 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Step one -- get an RL membership
Step two -- post a for sale ad here on Rennlist
Old 08-24-2007, 12:40 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ebay--I have bought 2 vehicles on Ebay with great success. I put my Bronco on Ebay 2 years ago for a few days (then decided to keep it) and I had 3 offers of trading it for an 85 Mustang that ran "ok" although the interior was missing, 2 quads and a trailer, and really nice camo duck boat with 65 decoys.

Ebay would probably be my last choice but a classified ad, rather than auction, would be a better route for exposure.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:49 AM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

I sold a car via craigslist and it was very easy. Was nervous meeting the guy at 9pm at the bart station but he was a San Francisco cop.. sniper no less.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:24 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate selling cars here, or anywhere else.

MY gt3 for sale, and man.....I think many people just want pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...then you get people that want your "best price"...and when you give them the best price...they counter about 3k less........WTF....

I cannot wait to post pics of my GT3..............LOL
Old 08-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Pete
Instructor

Pelican seems to have a pretty active classifieds board.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:18 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phil

MY gt3 for sale, and man.....I think many people just want pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...then you get people that want your "best price"...and when you give them the best price...they counter about 3k less........WTF....

I get the same crap selling my kids clothes on Ebay that he has outgrown. $100k cars or $10 worth of used clothes, its a the same thing.

Myself, I dont have the time to barter and generally know good value. If I want it I will buy it. I feel its too high priced, I wont even bother.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:07 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

LOL, hey I thought I'd pass along a tip....when someone asks for your best price, NEVER answer!!! You already posted a price, it's their turn!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:34 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 437 Posts

If you've already given an asking price, never give a "best price" when asked. The proper response to that question is, "I'd welcome your best offer" and negotiate from there More often than not, you won't get an offer because these guys are just dreamers/tire kickers. They're not going to buy at any reasonable price, usually because they have no money, so get past that lead quickly and move on.

Another trick the dreamers/tire kickers use is to ask, "Will you take X?", then when you say yes, they'll say it was a question and not an offer. So, when someone says, "Will you take X?", your first response should be "Is that a firm offer and are you funded?". If so, negotiate from there.

-Jim

Last edited by jimbo3; 08-24-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:37 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

In order of asking prices, condition and rarity of individual cars (highest is #1, lowest #3):
1. Panorama (PCA), Hemmings motor news (for the cleanest, low mileage, well cared for or rare cars)
2. autotrader, rennlist, cars.com
3. ebay, craigslist, local paper (note: local paper is probably the most expensive and not necessarily the best).

You can try all- I'm just saying you'll have the most success with ebay if the car is at or below market price and may have some flaws, and likewise do the best with PCA/Hemmings for cars that deserve a slight to wide premium to the general market. This is all my opinion of course, and very general at that- I seen some beautiful cars on ebay that didn't hit the reserve, but the point was to advertise and get people to call on the car and be willing to pay the price if the car checked out in a private (non-ebay) sale, for instance.

By the way, if there's movement in price of a car you're selling and a caller asks, I'd say there may be some movement and that's it. If people are serious enough about your car I'd say "we can talk more when you come look at the car". It's not a foolproof way to weed out tire kickers and time wasters, but it does stop people who are merely trying to low ball you on the phone before taking even one look in person at your car. A possible exception may be someone who is looking from far away but appears to be very interested and willing to do a deal over the phone subject to final inspection. (i.e. given your description I'd pay $x, as long as nothing major comes up, with stress on the word major)
Old 08-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

As for pics, I use Google's Picasa service which allows me to put the photos there and make the "album" as public that way I just ref. the url for the album in the ad and when people ask for photos.

Free and easy to use.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:10 PM
GaryB
Instructor

There is also the Porsche Market Letter. Free listings for sellers, subscription for buyers (such as me).

No affiliation, but I do look forward to each issue. They cover all Porsche models. I can't post the URL, but a quick Google will turn it up. Sample issue is always available for viewing online.

Gary
Old 08-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Marco8
Racer

When I sold my 88 911, I posted on PCA, Pelican and Craigslist. Best results, craigslist sold in two days at full asking price. Sold a Z3 last year and posted on ebay thinking I would find a local buyer after end of auction. Had 3 serious parties interested, all from Canada and sold it to someone from Vancouver.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:44 AM
McGarrett
Racer

eBay. I sold my 03 Infinity Coupe and bought my 96 993 all in the same weekend on eBay. AutoTrader was a total dud.

The DMV nightmare with all the plate swaping ( Custom plates of course) was enough to teach me not to sell my car and buy a new one in a span of two days.

Now that I have been a part of the Porsche culture, Rennlist and Pelican seem to have very good connects.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Best way to sell a Porsche