Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Price check - 95 with 90,000 miles & repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:38 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RallyJon
LOL. By all means sell your S here for $30k and move on to a real car. Better move fast before the value drops any more.
It isn't worth $30k anymore, because the value is dropping so fast. I say sell it to me for $25k.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:06 PM
umfan866
Racer

Guys - yeah I would LOVE to have an S but no they are not dropping that fast. I DO know of where I can get a < 60k 993 with Euro Suspension & short shifter really nice for around 30k, but I don't have 30k. Even 25k is a stretch for me.

Anyway the seller emailed me where the body work was done -- its "Mathews-Carlsen Body Works"
in Palo Alto. I called there and the owner looked in the file and said that only paintwork was done to the car, no bodywork, and it was because of paint issues due to the egg. The actual painter who worked on the car was on vacation but I am welcome to talk to him also. The seller is going to send the car back in Friday for them to respray the front bumper since it did have some speckling and orange peel etc. I emailed him to say that I'd want all the work done on the car before having an inspection/ PPI done, but that I'm also going to be looking at some more cars that I had already arranged to see (true).

So it does sound like a decent deal and nice car -- my first color choice is red and the 2 I am going to see are also red.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,807 Likes on 1,714 Posts

I really hope you're not buying all the BS being tossed around here. Finding an S for $30k is a rare event and could have something to do with things like chrome wheels, tiptronic transmission or a not-so-popular color combo. $35k as a minimum for a high mile S car.

Do yourself a favor and hurry up if you have to look at other cars before you decide. You might even want to think about putting a $200 deposit to hold the car subject to PPI and viewing the car once fixed so you don't miss out on it. This does sound like a nice car and there aren't many like that around for $25k. How do I know this? After I sold my 993 cab (see sig) one of my plans was to get a $25k 993 to turn into a track car. I looked NATIONALLY in Canada and the US for four months and I lost out on the only one that was a decent example because I offered $25k instead of paying the asking $27.5. Two days after my offer, the car was sold. How much is your time worth?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:02 PM
dmw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Every used car comes with risks

Yours seems well documented. Get a PPI and tell them you want them to look for any accident damage. If it was hit hard, they should be able to tell. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:45 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ledd4u
No, varioram so I say 15K to 18K. I paid 30K for an S in extrmely excellent shape with numerous options. These cars are dropping in value very fast due to the maintenace required if you are not a DIY selfer, plus they are old technology and overated cars. I am thinking of selling my S and getting a real car like a Vette or Viper.
I know a lot of women who drive Vettes, including my mom. They are fast and cute as a little puppy dog.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:47 AM
tellyc
Intermediate

The egg story is accurate. That owner listed the car forsale 6 months ago and I checked out the car prior to the repaint. The affected area looked just like as if someone threw an egg at the car.

As mentioned, the car drove well and it was clean. Owner was very honest and upfront about the condition of the car. FWIW, I passed on the car at $23.5k with the existing paint issue. Looks like the owner didn't have any takers so he had it repainted and is now trying to sell it again.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:32 PM
umfan866
Racer

tellyc,

That is very useful information -- wow. Yeah the owner said he paid 10k for the paint job and figures he will take a 5k bath/hit on the paint job, so his price at about 28k sounds right.

Ok thanks -- I will PM you to ask more details.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Pete
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
I know a lot of women who drive Vettes, including my mom. They are fast and cute as a little puppy dog.
The Vettes or your mom?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 PM
dmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by umfan866
That is very useful information -- wow. Yeah the owner said he paid 10k for the paint job and figures he will take a 5k bath/hit on the paint job, so his price at about 28k sounds right.

Ok thanks -- I will PM you to ask more details.
Wow! What a horrible financial decision. Even with bad paint he had to be able to get $20,000. Maybe he thought he would keep it after the paint job and changed his mind
Old 08-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmw
Wow! What a horrible financial decision.
And isn't that part of what could make this such a great financial decision for a buyer...
Old 08-22-2007, 05:19 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dmw
Wow! What a horrible financial decision.
Yeah, that's like not being able to sell your house and taking it off the market to install a swimming pool.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:16 AM
umfan866
Racer

dmw ---

You are right about the financial decision being bad. He is moving to Hong Kong for several years, and he had decided to repaint just before he found out about his transfer to Hong Kong -- ie he had planned on keeping the car.

Bad for me is -- the car currently has an offer on it for 26k. I had made having the fixes to his paint a pre-condition of doing an inspection myself, whereas someone else went ahead, did an inspection as is, and made an offer. For me the car was (and is) a little out of my price range in the mid-20's but for the money it is a great value, esp considering my own PPI on an 87 turned out horrible and went nowhere, but thats another thread/story.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

umfan866: Sorry to hear you lost out. You may want to read my posts again and take the advice for future reference. From the getgo, this sounded like a great car at a great price. You've got to be aggressive with opportunities like that or someone else will.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:50 AM
scat
Racer

Yea, dont listen to Marlon...
Currently hes got 666 posts...
Old 09-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scat
Yea, dont listen to Marlon...
Currently hes got 666 posts...
Scat - un-pinch your panties. Don't know about you, but we are all adults here and must temper what we hear against our life experiences when making decisions. Lot of bogus info going around - but my observation on that particular car still stands. My guess is that the car being discussed would not have sold to the potential buyer you just whined to anyway. Would you prefer a paper kleenex or cotton hanky?

Quick Reply: Price check - 95 with 90,000 miles & repaint?