Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price check - 95 with 90,000 miles & repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007 | 12:29 PM
kgorman
Drifting

The seals also would worry me. If not done correctly, rust can appear quickly, and then, well.. $$$. Sounds like there were 'issues' with the body shop. I would pass altogether.
Old 08-21-2007 | 01:05 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marlon
My feeling is that the car was painted because there's something to cover up.
Do you read? You don't need to rely on your "feelings" to determine why this car was repainted. You only have to use your eyes and brain to read. The respray was explained in the first post on this thread: some high school kids egged the car.

Old 08-21-2007 | 01:32 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by umfan866
Guys thanks for your comments. I am indeed worried a little about the paint and I think if I were to buy this car I'd wait until all of his work was done, and then have the car inspected carefully by a paint expert as well as other Porsche guys that are local. And talk to the people who did the paint.

BTW his asking price is $28,000. I haven't talked price with him since I wanted to post to this forum first.
Gotta say that I'd be more worried about the level of ignorance being conveyed by others' opinions so far in this post than about the car itself. You've introduced the car as a 95 2-owner car with 90k mi and a thorough history including a recent $10k respray and $2k clutch for $28k. You're not buying a $60k C2S dude, you're buying what seems to be a well cared for car that has had $12k in recent investment for nearly twice that much. You don't need a "careful inspection by a paint expert" what you need to do is to go over the service records, get a PPI and visit the shop where the car was resprayed to determine what kind of shop they are and what quality of work they provide. Start getting too **** with a seller who seems to have a nice car and seems to have taken no issue with spending the $$$ to keep the car in good condition and you'll risk loosing out on what seems to be a great deal, either because you'll **** him off or because someone who knows better will buy it ahead of you. I hope you don't buy too much into the nonsense responses you've gotten so far.

Last edited by Wilder; 08-21-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2007 | 02:39 PM
rconnon
Pro

+1
Old 08-21-2007 | 02:43 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a great driver.
Old 08-21-2007 | 04:06 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Originally Posted by Noah
Do you read? You don't need to rely on your "feelings" to determine why this car was repainted. You only have to use your eyes and brain to read. The respray was explained in the first post on this thread: some high school kids egged the car.

Noah
I did read this but just cant believe that eggs thrown at a car would make somebody respray the whole car....thats why I suggested having a few words with the guy that did the respray......maybe they were ostrich eggs and the paint was badly damaged due to the thyickness of the shell.........or do I smell rotten fish here......
Old 08-21-2007 | 04:58 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Default eggs!!

Well you learn something new everyday.....I was talking with Marlon via email and I decided to google eggs and paint....well well well the common egg appears to have acids and enzymes that will eiother dull or flake car paint!!!

There was also an email from a mum who has an egg throwing son in CA and he is being taken to court for egging a car.....and has had a $6500 fine.....

Lots of other egg and car stories, did not realize it was so commmon
Old 08-21-2007 | 05:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

A thrown egg can do incredible damage to a car's finish. I had a Pathfinder years ago that was egged. Fortunately, I washed it off while it was still wet, but the shell managed to spider-crack the black metal powercoat finish of the window frame. How a thin, organic material could do that was beyond me, but there was the proof.

WRT painting an entire car, a few Rennlisters have opted to have the whole car re-sprayed after a minor fender bender. Although not a popular approach, it is a direction that many elect to take. I've heard that black is one of the hardest colors to match, which makes no sense to me. Not sure if it's true or not. I figured my polar silver car would be hard to match, but I've had good luck with the the spoiler, bumper covers, etc. matching.
Old 08-21-2007 | 05:27 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I've heard that black is one of the hardest colors to match, which makes no sense to me.
Darker colors are generally easier to match. White is the most difficult to match as there are a zillion shades. Unless there is some other color added (not common) or trying to match a faded finish, black is black. The painter also has to match texture and, in the case of metalics, the painter also has to match the metal flake by not spraying a little too close or a little too far.
Old 08-21-2007 | 05:45 PM
ledd4u
Banned

No, varioram so I say 15K to 18K. I paid 30K for an S in extrmely excellent shape with numerous options. These cars are dropping in value very fast due to the maintenace required if you are not a DIY selfer, plus they are old technology and overated cars. I am thinking of selling my S and getting a real car like a Vette or Viper.
Old 08-21-2007 | 05:55 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

LOL. By all means sell your S here for $30k and move on to a real car. Better move fast before the value drops any more.
Old 08-21-2007 | 05:58 PM
ledd4u
Banned

Maybe not a Vette or Viper but perhaps a........... Vespa?
Old 08-21-2007 | 06:13 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ledd4u
No, varioram so I say 15K to 18K. I paid 30K for an S in extrmely excellent shape with numerous options. These cars are dropping in value very fast due to the maintenace required if you are not a DIY selfer, plus they are old technology and overated cars. I am thinking of selling my S and getting a real car like a Vette or Viper.
sorry to see you're not happy with tippy.....
Old 08-21-2007 | 06:15 PM
ledd4u
Banned

Just kidding!
Old 08-21-2007 | 06:26 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Dammit, I smelled a good deal, too.

Quick Reply: Price check - 95 with 90,000 miles & repaint?