Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My paintscratch.com experience...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 03:14 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My paintscratch.com experience...

Well, 24 years started catching up with my 83 Ruby Red cabriolet. And then I picked up a serious scratch somewhere - maddening... a 6 inch long booger that went through to the primer!

I bit the bullit and decided to try paintscratch.com. I oredred their full repair kit including spray can and paint pen. The first batch was mailed to me and my excitement dimmed when it turned out to be way to light - more of a purple color. I soon found out from many who replied to me that this seems to be fairly common and the second batch was almost always perfect. To paintscratch.com's credit, they are very easy to deal with. I simply sent a small piece of metal back with the paint sprayed on from what they sent and 10 days later, I had a new batch of paint.

Got the new batch of paint in today...

The new paint seems to be spot on. It really is kind of weird in a way... I had a lot of people reply to say the second attempt was good. Not sure why that happens, or how often for that matter - I am sure we are a mere fraction of their customer base!

Anyway, very happy with the new batch! I will post pictures later on... that is if I can find a spot I have not touched up yet. The front part of my hood was starting to get really chipped up. After I got going, it was hard to stop, but I want to try to take a before shot. I still need to apply the clear, followed by wetsand and buff. I also need to respray my headlight trim rings.

Question for the paint experts. I think I know the answer but would like a confirmation before I get carried away (grandpa is no longer watching over my shoulder!). I planned to wetsand the areas of touch up with 1000. Then rubbing compound and polish, etc... I have a lot of touch up on the front of the hood. I am a little sheepish about wetsanding the whole area, or even the whole hood. I think it is OK to do this, but please tell me if I am right or wrong, or should do somsthing different. I would hate to go from OK to a lot worse...

One note from my experience is this: I will not do the paint pens again! I do not working with them, and the worst part is that they tend to drop paint every once in a while when you least expect it. Very frustrating and potentially irreversible if in the wrong spot! I will stick with the little "brush-in-a-bottle" for future jobs. It could very well be my technique used that caused the problem, but I cannot see any other way to use them, except like I did.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:37 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by v8_ranch
I simply sent a small piece of metal back with the paint sprayed on from what they sent and 10 days later, I had a new batch of paint.
Can you please be a little bit more specific? Did you send in your Fuel cap cover? What piece of metal did you send back with the current body color on it to have them match it more accurately.

Thanks,
Old 08-13-2007, 04:56 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he means that he sent a piece of metal sprayed with the touch up paint color sent by them to show it was the wrong color. At least that is how I read it
Ron
Old 08-14-2007, 12:23 AM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received my paintscratch order and try as I might I couldn't get it to work properly without blobbing.
The match was good though.
brush for me too
Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 AM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
I think he means that he sent a piece of metal sprayed with the touch up paint color sent by them to show it was the wrong color. At least that is how I read it
Ron
You are correct sir! Yes, sorry, long week and usually typing very quickly, which is not good for me - or those who read it!

Part of paintscratch's guarantee is if it does not match, spray the wrong color on a sample (they are supposed to send a card, but mine was not there - hencethe metal), and mail it back to them.

As a side note though, if you need a custom color, then, yes, you could send the gas lid or some other small part that they could use for the match.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:39 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1000 grit paper is too rough. find a local auto body supply shop that sells 2500 grit.
soak the small piece of paper you are going to sand with for a bit.
20 minutes is good.
Keep it wet. it should feel pretty smooth while sanding.
This will leave you with a lot less work with a light abrasive such as poorboys SSR medium swirl remover. then go to a polish.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:04 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first attempt with paintscratch's polar silver blotched on me. But it was humid and I think that's why my first attempt really sucked! It was so horrible, it was hilarious. I had to show the kids-they laughed their butts off.

Second time, less humidity, much better coverage and finish. Any flaws in the finish were my prep and not the paint. But the color was off-too dark. V8-ranch has seen my splitters. They are noticeably a darker shade of polar silver than the rest of the car. I thought of sending paintscratch my fuel filler cover (insured) and see if that would work. But I haven't done it. I am more likely now to go and have new splitters installed (Gert) (old ones are pretty banged up), turbo s ducts (if I can figure out an electrical problem), and a front bumper re-spray. I have a great shop here in town.

chuck

Quick Reply: My paintscratch.com experience...