Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anybody tell from the photos if my alternator/fan pulleys are updated???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered my update and new belt (that nobody really needs anyhow) yesterday.

The clewett design is cool - wonder if the single belt (that nobody needs anyway) is more efficient and wonder if it spins the alt fast enough to avoid the charging issues that some folks report. I'm sure while operating on a track you get plenty of charge!

Clewett also has a 100% flow, cleanable oil filter. Bypasses at 16.5 psi. Seems pretty neat - I think it was called Pure Power or something llike that.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:39 PM
nbuyabis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Marlon,

Can you give me the part numbers for the update bought plz.

Thanks.

Najeeb
---------------------
'95 993
Old 11-25-2007, 07:01 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

$695 is actually a good price if you consider the Porsche Motorsport version (in the first pic) is about $1200...not sure of the advantages however, over the RS pulley.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Najeeb - I gotta' find the paperwork. Our basement is being remodeled and my notebook is stored away for now. The part number for the pulley halves is 993 106 268 01 and you need two. But if you call Sunset you will need: the two updated pulley halves, one new belt (the updated belt is slightly shorter and the old belt will not work), one thick shim and one thin shim for belt tension. Maybe order a new fixing nut too. You must have the Klien tool to hold the alternator shaft and a 24MM wrench to get the nut off. You will have to loosen your a/c compressor to get the a/c belt off too. You can see the new pulley halves in the photo. As you put the updated system into place and start the fixing nut, you will need to kick over your starter gently and then tighten the fisxing nut a little to get the belt to ride up into the pulley. You'll have to do this once or twice as you work since the belt is very stiff. I started out with one thick shim and that's all I needed. I've attached a photo of the stuff I removed: two pulley halves, two thick spacers (one from between the two different pulleys and one from between the fixing nut and outside pulley half) and a bunch of belt tension spacers. Keep in mind that the old belt tension spacers will not work with the updated pulley halves! And you will NOT reuse the old pulley spacers. It's really easy. If you could come by we could do in two hours and smoke a cuban cigar while working.

Originally Posted by nbuyabis
Hi Marlon,

Can you give me the part numbers for the update bought plz.

Thanks.

Najeeb
---------------------
'95 993
Attached Images   
Old 11-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone please remind me of the benefit from doing this. How much was it?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

For less than the cost of the alternator pulley update ( fan pulley remains unchanged), one can go to RS hub version using a single fan belt - and toss forever that ill conceived alt belt tension monitoring roller: the latter two add -ve $'s
The only change I've noticed, if one is searching for negatives, is that headlights slightly dim at idle: a slight touch of throttle restores those few insignificant candlepower - so another excuse to enjoy the muffler bypass pipes ...
Old 11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Garth,
I've always wondered if the factory Litronics would be affected in the same way - considering that they use less wattage? Or am I way off here?

Andreas
Old 11-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Garth,
I've always wondered if the factory Litronics would be affected in the same way - considering that they use less wattage? Or am I way off here?

Andreas
Only guessing - but regular halogen bulbs ( eg. H1's) are old tech filament style, so they produce light by heating a restive element: the colour and lumens of light produced is voltage sensitive, ergo - 'dims' as voltage drops from alternator charge of ~14v to that of battery at ~ 12.5v.
The HID type work via an arc sustained in a gas/metal atmosphere between two electrodes: this is initiated by an exciter and maintained by a ballast: my guess is that once the arc is created, it is all or nothing - full output or nada, so a modest voltage drop has no visible effect.

This may all be dashed by someone who really knows .... , for you have made me curious too.

Quick Reply: Can anybody tell from the photos if my alternator/fan pulleys are updated???