993 Forum 1995-1998

993 speakers replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:50 PM
scat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 speakers replacement

Hey guys,I am looking to replace my speakers on my 96 993.
They are in really bad shape,pretty much all the rubber around the diaphragm is shot.
I am looking for a pretty close fit on the new ones and I would like if possible to reuse the original grills,or close, do not like the really fancy ones that now prevail in audio stores.
My car does not have the factory premium sound option,and I am not going to install an amplifier and such.
Any ideas in what to use,Im sure Im not alone in this.
Thank you in advance.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:56 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 424 Posts

I used to have Eclipse's and they were terrific. Replaced them with Dynaudios (Esotec's) http://www.dynaudio.de/eng/auto/esotec/222.php and they are amazing (they do have their own grilles). They are driven by a McIntosh amp which is mounted on a piece of plywood along with the crossovers which is mounted over the carpeting (plywood under the carpeting) in front of the gas tank. I couldnt be more delighted. I am only driving the door mounted speakers, the rear decklid speakers are pretty much worthless. In my prior setup I did drive the rear Eclipse's and they provided nothing to the overall sound quality in the car.

Last edited by fast_freddy; 08-12-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Bgoldey
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced mine with the factory speakers from the dealer for about $40 per speaker. I'm a big audiophile but prefer the purrrrr of the 3.6 liters. I don't think an upgraded speaker would provide a significant imporvement in sound quality. I too wanted to retain the originality of the OE speaker grill.

Brian
Old 08-12-2007, 02:14 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey fastfreddy,
Did you have to make any mods at all for the Dynaudios? Did the tweeters fit right into the factory housings?

Thanks.
Dave
Old 08-12-2007, 05:42 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgoldey
I replaced mine with the factory speakers from the dealer for about $40 per speaker. I'm a big audiophile but prefer the purrrrr of the 3.6 liters. I don't think an upgraded speaker would provide a significant imporvement in sound quality. I too wanted to retain the originality of the OE speaker grill.

Brian
It's actually amazing how much better aftermarket speakers do sound. You don't have to spend a ton of money either.

Polk and Infinity both make plate speakers that will fit the rear cutouts ($100-$150) and you can choose virtually anything for the doors. I spent around $300 USD front & rear combined for a significant difference over factory.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:51 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black ice
Hey fastfreddy,
Did you have to make any mods at all for the Dynaudios? Did the tweeters fit right into the factory housings?

Thanks.
Dave
You'd have to ask my install guy. However, I believe the motivation behind the specific speakers was that they were selected as a result of me not wanting to modify the openings on the door panels. If memory serves the only visual difference is the grills on the "woofers", the tweeter coverings are the stock ones.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Todd P
Advanced

I went with MB Quart's All around powered by Alpine components. Speaker fit right in. Sounds is amazing!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I have some really nice rear after market speakers unopened at home. I cannot remember the brand or price. I'll crack open the box tonight and post details if you're interested in purchasing?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:39 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
You'd have to ask my install guy. However, I believe the motivation behind the specific speakers was that they were selected as a result of me not wanting to modify the openings on the door panels. If memory serves the only visual difference is the grills on the "woofers", the tweeter coverings are the stock ones.
Dare I ask how much for the Dynaudios? Went to their website, seems like nice stuff...
Old 08-13-2007, 08:52 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Todd P
I went with MB Quart's All around powered by Alpine components. Speaker fit right in. Sounds is amazing!
I have MB's in my 964 and they are just amazing sweet components. I'd have yanked them and put them in the 993 but the 964 speakers are larger than the ones in the 993. My factory were the same way, not foam left at all. Running some cheap Infinities right now.. they are OK but the MB's in the other car are so much better.

One rumor was the MB had been bought my Rockford Fosgate... makes me want not to get another set (ick). Polk and ADS come to mind as other replacement options. Dynaudio sounds interesting too.

Good thread!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Dare I ask how much for the Dynaudios? Went to their website, seems like nice stuff...
I think they were $600-ish for the entire set up (2 woofers, 2 tweeters, 2 crossovers). The dyn's sounded terrific with the JL amp that was in with the Eclipse's and unbelievable with the McIntosh amp. While the speakers are certainly very important the amp plays an equal role in the sound quality.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:44 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is another vote for Dynaudio - the Esotec System 342 will fit perfectly under the stock Hi-Fi grill

http://www.dynaudio.de/eng/auto/esot...=46c132a6dcdd1
Old 08-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I went 2 routes:

for 993 more expensive- Focal speakers, amps, Sony h/u, Infinity powered sub (sound quality is "8.5")

for 964 less expensive- Sony h/u, Infinity speakers (sq is "7")

For reference wife's new Subaru OEM stereo package is about 7.5.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:28 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It is amazing to me that people put such high end components in a tiny, noisy car. Sure, you want reasonable quality and enough power and efficiency to overcome the engine/road/wind noise. But putting audiophile grade stuff in? C'mon...
Old 08-14-2007, 12:50 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RallyJon
It is amazing to me that people put such high end components in a tiny, noisy car. Sure, you want reasonable quality and enough power and efficiency to overcome the engine/road/wind noise. But putting audiophile grade stuff in? C'mon...
Nothin' but the best for my baby!

Quick Reply: 993 speakers replacement