993 speakers replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am intrigued by this statement:
I am only driving the door mounted speakers, the rear decklid speakers are pretty much worthless. In my prior setup I did drive the rear Eclipse's and they provided nothing to the overall sound quality in the car.
Sounds like a great way to save a few pounds high and to the rear!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:41 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
I am intrigued by this statement:Sounds like a great way to save a few pounds high and to the rear!
A Provacative thought...
Those speakers are so small that the wieght savings in removing them is de minimis. However, if one was concerned about the wight of their car I seriously doubt they would put in "audiophile" speakers up front as they are heavier than the standard ones as the magnets they use are quite powerful and quite heavy. Also, a half decent amplifier is not exactly light either. If one were to eliminate the amp and drive the speakers with the head unit it would be a total waste of money as even "audiophile grade" head units have atrocious amplification and sound only slightly better than an average head unit. I'd "guesstimate" my system added maybe 20# to the car, which is what 2.5 gallons of gas? If I drop the "deuce" I can lose that kind of weight in one sitting.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:57 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have MB quart front, boston acoustics in rear (cabriolet, so the backs are small) and a fosgate amp mounted to a board that's strapped to the gas tank and under the carpet (got that idea from a rennlist poster). Sound is acceptible/pretty good- not as good as a modern sedan system, but...my goal was stock speaker sizes and grills, no drilling and minimal difference in look- secondary was better sound. Being as the car is a weekend only car, I have the radio off and top down 70% of the time anyway

I have a alpine CD head, and by chance at night the green and orange lights match the green and orange interior lights perfectly (the green light for the spoiler lift and fog light switch and orange light for mirror/rear windos defogger and other center console light (I think for the "!" if I recall) ).

Please consider your choice carefully- consider going the route of less quality sound but as close to stock look as possible using the existing speaker holes, hidden amp, etc. Think of all the older cars you've seen with bigger speakers put in or period aftermarket stuff, and how much nicer those cars would have looked with stock or close-to-stock components. Just something to think of. I'm a little **** wanting everything as close to stock as possible, but that's just me. Part of me wanted to pay to have the CD1 Porsche unit repaired instead of the alpine....I saved it just in case, but really the alpine looks fine. I chucked the stock speakers as they were completely shot.

By the way, being as I have a smaller amp and I'm not powering huge subs or anything like that, the amp gets enough cooling under the carpet and doesn't seem to get too hot.

One more thing- I bought the MB Quarts and amp brand new on ebay and saved some money.

-Andrew
Old 08-14-2007, 06:12 PM
boubi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the 993, I have done the same work I did in the 3L2 and in the 964.
The size of the loudspeahers is 16 ( mm ) and I have installed the same size in front with a 4 channels amplifier under the passenger seat .
The marks of the original loudspeakers deseappers slowly but surely in time.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:03 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone have any idea on the largest item that can be placed under the passenger seat without modifications? I'm trying to put a crossover there.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:03 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by rkb
Anyone have any idea on the largest item that can be placed under the passenger seat without modifications? I'm trying to put a crossover there.
I think crossovers would be fine. The ecu on the drivers side takes up the same amount of space as a pair of crossovers. If memory serves last time I had my passenger seat out I thought to myself, "there is some room for an amp".
Old 08-14-2007, 09:37 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I'm looking to stuff a huge electronic Alpine crossover that is WAY overkill under the seat.

(Sorry to hijack this thread – I think I should start a new thread as this is not speaker related!)
Old 08-16-2007, 04:33 AM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

How "hard" is it to install 6.5" speakers in the front doors?

I would rather stick with stock sizes (non-hifi) to keep any cutting to a minimum and make it easier to reverse to stock; so the MB Quart 5.25" look good to me (many on eBay) and buy some Infiniti 4x6" for the rears.

Is the sound improvement noticable between the two sizes? My GHL exhaust isn't loud, but it does make it difficult to hear anything through the crap stock system (music & ballgames!). I'm not going audiophile here, but any improvement without spending too much (<$700, including headunit) would be nice.

$300 Headunit-Pioneer from Costco
$300 MB Quart off eBay
$100 4x6" Infiniti rears...
Old 08-16-2007, 10:35 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Originally Posted by RallyJon
It is amazing to me that people put such high end components in a tiny, noisy car. Sure, you want reasonable quality and enough power and efficiency to overcome the engine/road/wind noise. But putting audiophile grade stuff in? C'mon...
+1. Put a $3,800 system into my Targa. It was quite nice at idle and good with the engine off. All in all a big waste of money. I have been into hi-fi since I was 13 and just could not help myself. I know better now. While I had some throaty Ruf mufflers on the Targa, a car is not a good place to invest hi-fi dollars. Plus for those weight watchers a good system is the wrong way to go. My current ride (I should say "my current park" as it is still in the shop) is sans any attempt at music - all the better to keep weight down and enjoy that wonderful cacaphony eminating from the wasps that must have taken up residence in my 100 cell cats.

If you want sound buy some el cheapo speakers. Good luck with your choice.

Quick Reply: 993 speakers replacement