Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Wear Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:11 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brake Pad Wear Sensor?

Help! I noticed this frayed wire on the rear passanger side brake caliper of my 95.

Is this wire the Brake Pad Wear Sensor wire? From searching the forum I'm confident that is what this is but I would rather to be safe than sorry.

The previous owner was a porsche shop owner and he indicated that the car had new brake pads. Is it likely he didn't bother to change this?

I saw the DYI at http://p-car.com/diy/brakepads/ , but could not tell if these be replaced without opening the caliper. How are they connected? Can I order replacements and just pull the old ones and replace them? Or is it more complicated?

As always, thank you eveyone on this forum for your help!
Attached Images   
Old 08-04-2007, 06:33 AM
Pickled Piper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Those are the wires for the brake pad sensors. From memory you can just ease them out of the pad with some long nose pliers in order to replace them. remove the large spring clip first. The sensors are fragile so be careful. If you end up having to slide the pads out of the callipers it's not really that big a job. just follow the instructions on p-car for a pad change.

pp
Old 08-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From that picture I don't see frayed wires, I see a frayed wire cover. Pop off the wheel and take a better look.

They are really not necessary if you inspect your car like you should. Just cut the wires and twist together...
Old 08-04-2007, 04:21 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Be like the rest of us..pull 'em out, zip tie them up, proclaim that you "don't need no sensors".

Really, we do.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

When I disable them I cut them back to the first clamp, solder the wires together, heat shrink the connection, then use a larger heat shrink to hold the outside rubber liner to the wires. I then tie down nice and neat with the same clamps that hold the wire to the brake line.. The sensors usually get brittle from the heat cycles and can be reused but will crack easily. If you maintain your car well and watch the brakes the sensors are not really that usefull.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-04-2007, 06:25 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhm993
Be like the rest of us..pull 'em out, zip tie them up, proclaim that you "don't need no sensors".

Really, we do.
+1

Thats all I did. No need to cut them and wire-nut them. Just zip-time them.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
When I disable them I cut them back to the first clamp, solder the wires together, heat shrink the connection, then use a larger heat shrink to hold the outside rubber liner to the wires. I then tie down nice and neat with the same clamps that hold the wire to the brake line.. The sensors usually get brittle from the heat cycles and can be reused but will crack easily. If you maintain your car well and watch the brakes the sensors are not really that usefull.

Cheers,

Mike
'xactly what I did.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:32 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993

Really, we do.

callas mentioned alot do this... i haven't though. though, i agree we don't need no stinkin' sensors.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Plumley
'xactly what I did.

+2

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Wear Sensor?