Sponsored by:

Motorsound VS LPMM (Sound clips)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motorsound VS LPMM (Sound clips)

Last Sunday in Calabasas (See SOCAL get2gether JULY 29th Sunday) I waited for a bit for most of you to show up at 10am at the VCR but I had to leave at 11, so there are only two comparison recordings here.
Dave (SCMomentum) had his beautiful '96 S with factory Motorsound and I had my '96 Targa with LPMM 1.75 bypass. So I recorded them and here are the clips. The Targa was recorded from a little further back and the input level had to be turned down a little because it was louder so you will notice Daves rumbles at idle a little louder than the targa. In person the low end of the idles is about the same.
My car at the time did not have the drilled airbox, so this is just with the bypass. I had a couple of my students come out (I teach recording engineering) and they recorded them in stereo to a portable hard disk recorder.
You can hear the comparison here:

http://webpages.charter.net/amfab/porschesound/

I would really like to get some more recordings, RSRs, Supercups, 2inch LPMMs and I would like to do them at idle, stopped and revving, WOT drive by and cruising drive by.
Is anyone interested in coming to the west SanFernando Valley for a little get together so I can make all the recordings at once? This way, with the mics in the same position we can get a good collection of comparison files under the same conditions, without compressors and limiters from camcorder mics altering the sounds. I also will have the students do all the recordings at exactly the same input levels.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Spodie!
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, mellow versus raw - nice clips!

I'd be interested in your recording session.
I'm an audio engineer by trade and love this sort of stuff.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:22 AM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to attend just to hear some hot 911's. How about getting the word out for an upcoming VCR event. Without a prior canyon run, turn out may be better.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Nicely done.
My 1.6" LPMM may be a bit quieter, but have a little more 'bark' on start-up and more of the 'hollow pipe' sound - please excuse all the technical acoustic terminology
I suspect that the differing tips we attach also influence the sound quality, and should be part of the descriptive when doing comparisons - factory wide ovals here.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:11 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Amfab, Nice job! I'd like to hear the Motorsound with the DACH 200 Cell if anyone has that setup down in SoCAL
Old 08-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Spodie, It was a set up from a student of mine, he is really into production sound and has an M-Audio hard disk recorder and pair of stereo mics Im not familiar with (Im more of a studio guy) and a zeppelin with a sock. I had gone to do it with our schools portable DAT and a pair of 414s, but there was a problem with the DAT so he volunteered. He and andother student assisting him did the recording. I just directed and kept saying things like , "nah, nah thats a 996."
We then tossed it into ProTools and faded the in and out and converted to MP3.

I just need volunteers with various exhausts. The students really enjoyed doing it and we would like to set up a situation in a more remote location without so many other cars. There was a nice '73 911S there we got on tape (and by tape I mean hard disk), but some guy in a loud 6 series would rev his engine next to the 911 every time the 911 would , so I couldn't get a clean recording (BMW People, what can you do?). Ill pop it up on the web. The 6 series did sound cool, but the 73 911S sounded great

Garth, good point about the tips, I have wide ovals, from the corvette guy on ebay, when I put them on the sound did change a bit.

Last edited by Amfab; 08-03-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:51 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are by far the best exhaust recordings I've heard to date! Hearing them in stereo makes a big difference, too, more like being there. You can even hear the left and right cylinder banks firing alternately.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:09 PM
997Heaven
Instructor

Amfab, did your Targa have a drilled or stock airbox, I just drilled mine and now am planning to do the LPMM mod as soon as the wx cools down. thanks for the clips BTW ..awesome
Old 08-03-2007, 10:09 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

DANG!
I like the middle one. What was that again?
Now we only need a comparison with RSR!( I think this one shreaks!)
Old 08-03-2007, 11:04 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

I have the Motor Sound / Sport Mufflers w/ the DACH X & 200 cell cats, unfortunately I am in NJ. For some reason I can't do a search and find the link. I will see if I can repost.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Adam,

Nice recordings. I can fill in a few gaps with my sound clips (see my signature link).

Cheers,

David
Old 08-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

I drilled my airbox actually the day before I recorded these clips. I just matched the little dots on the the airbox and made my own motorsound cover. So its LPMM 1.75 bypass with drilled box for the Targa

Quick Reply: Motorsound VS LPMM (Sound clips)