Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it wrong of me to motor in 6th at 1.6K rpm and admire my motor sound...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:15 PM
sigf
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Does an engine develop "memory" ie meaning if an owner drove it at low rpm's for a lengthy period of time, the engine becomes "conditioned" to low rpm operation?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by palladio
... I thought that while steady state cruising a good range was sort of 2500-3000 rpm. Well now I know I was wrong!
No, you're not. If you're on flat level terrain, you're saving engine wear (and gas).
Old 08-07-2007, 02:47 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is only one remaining item betwen you and a top end rebuild - engine tray on.
Yeah, right. Mine's still on. Haven't had to rebuild yet. Only burning 1 qt. oil/7500 miles!
There's a time and place for lower rpm's and higher rpm's. Clearly, when you are driving aggressively, keeping the rpm's around peak torque (4500) is the way to go. However, when the road is slick, lots of torque can hurt you. If i'm just cruising along at highway speeds on relatively flat roads, 6th gear is O'k.

There is only one rule for driving a 993: Adapt your driving style to the situation and remember to give your car a gentle warm up. And always remember, Iris Blue cars go faster and last longer.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:22 PM
tabasco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you guys are a bit extreme. I personnaly think that running an engine at low RPMs is fine as long as you don't load it...
Very low RPM is OK at very small loads. Just don't leave it there all the time.
Just don't floor it if you're too low, downshift first.

Running an engine at high RPMs without any load feels pretty bad too, I'm not sure it's a good thing. It feels likere there are too many things shaking in there for nothing...

My car sees mostly track these days, so it sees mostly high RPMs, but when on the streets I just modulate my RPMs depending on engine temp and load. I always rev it up at some time even during regular commuting anyway. I rev it more than my other cars, that's for sure, but it's not as extreme as what's been described by some.

And don't forget those aircooled engines with that much oil take a long time to warm up.

My .02

-Guillaume
Old 08-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Originally Posted by tabasco
Some of you guys are a bit extreme. I personnaly think that running an engine at low RPMs is fine as long as you don't load it...
Very low RPM is OK at very small loads. Just don't leave it there all the time.
Just don't floor it if you're too low, downshift first.

Running an engine at high RPMs without any load feels pretty bad too, I'm not sure it's a good thing. It feels likere there are too many things shaking in there for nothing...

My car sees mostly track these days, so it sees mostly high RPMs, but when on the streets I just modulate my RPMs depending on engine temp and load. I always rev it up at some time even during regular commuting anyway. I rev it more than my other cars, that's for sure, but it's not as extreme as what's been described by some.

And don't forget those aircooled engines with that much oil take a long time to warm up.

My .02

-Guillaume

Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 PM
guiness
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Exactly- that would be fine in a Corvette. American V8s love the chug-a-lug dance. Those of us with experience on such cars need to be re-trained for P-car work...

Was reading a very good article in Panorama about the experience Zurkas-Duntov's (SP) (AKA "Father of the Corvette") racing a 1100cc 550 for Ferry. Something tells me that the revs were up in that car ALL the time!
You aren't kidding. I jumped from a 2004 vette into a 993 and the difference is huge. I wanted a car that I needed to "learn to drive properly" and I got my wish with the 993. The vette is a leather recliner w/jetpack while the 993 is an agile beast on rails.

I have been doing the "keep it easy warmup" until 8:00 temp by keeping the revs around 2.5-3k, but once it gets warm I am in the 3k-4.5k rpm range for cruising and will hit 5k before shifting.

I have been trying different things with 1st. It is soooo short compared to the vette. I would hit 40mph or better in the vette. For the 993, I don't know yet if it is better for me to shift out of first at 3-4k or to let it get to the 5-6k range. I guess I will have to take the long way home after work today and find out which I like better

Lastly, this thread deserves a moment of zen:

Old 08-08-2007, 01:41 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

further to obchuck's earlier remark about looking at the tip's shifting pattern; i don't think you want to use that as a benchmark. The tip at low rpm's uses the torque converter before the gear box locks up. After a cold start i put the tip in manual to avoid the low rpm area's. it's inclined to shift up quickly if there's not much throttle applied and then runs in fourth gear at 50mph. So i prefer to manualize it and keep her over 2k when waking up.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:26 PM
obchuck
Racer

HJK - thanks for the response. So then the "auto" in normal mode is acting somewhat contrary to the general consensus on this thread??? Hmmm...
Old 08-08-2007, 03:45 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm tired of this nonsense, about hurting the car if it runs consistently above 4k. WTF? Are you kidding me? The car is redlined at nearly 7! So even at 5k your nearly 2k below the engine's threshold, which means the engineers who DESIGNED and built the car, BUILT it to withstand being run hard.

If you want a F'ing "put-put" car then get a civc, accord, or lexus. In fact, if you check the 993 write up in Excellence, the mechanic who they interviewed stated unequivocally, that the cars with the most problems are the ones that have been driven like an old lady. Anyone who knows the car's will tell you to drive them as Porsche "intended", which means, putting her "on duty" frequently.

Why would you even have one of these cars if you're going to drive it like a _ussy! Stop talking out of your @ss Bearclaw.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FLYT993
I'm tired of this nonsense, about hurting the car if it runs consistently above 4k. WTF? Are you kidding me? The car is redlined at nearly 7! So even at 5k your nearly 2k below the engine's threshold, which means the engineers who DESIGNED and built the car, BUILT it to withstand being run hard.

If you want a F'ing "put-put" car then get a civc, accord, or lexus. In fact, if you check the 993 write up in Excellence, the mechanic who they interviewed stated unequivocally, that the cars with the most problems are the ones that have been driven like an old lady. Anyone who knows the car's will tell you to drive them as Porsche "intended", which means, putting her "on duty" frequently.

Why would you even have one of these cars if you're going to drive it like a _ussy! Stop talking out of your @ss Bearclaw.
Buddy, I don't know why you're focusing on what I'M saying when others have the same opinion, but I'm flattered. I've been an engineer for 30 years and have had a lot of experience with engines of all types, and I think I've learned a little about what stresses engine parts.

My opinion's the same as yours - an opinion. What your hard-on is about, I don't know, but It's your f-ing car, drive it however you like. Sounds like you need to bleed off a little testosterone anyway. And Porsche shops need the work.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Surgeon General advises...lugging an air cooled Porsche's engine is bad for its health...and provoke the Porsche gods wrath!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:53 PM
obchuck
Racer

Which raises the question: In Bearclaw vs. FLYT993, who is Bob Barker and who is Adam Sandler???

Eeeaaaazzzy Fellas...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Even a mighty Porsche engine is susceptible to the laws of physics. Sustained low RPMs = carbon buildup: High RPMs = wear. Pick your poison, but either way - in time - the grim rebuild reaper will come-a-knocking...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:49 PM
tbil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Even a mighty Porsche engine is susceptible to the laws of physics. Sustained low RPMs = carbon buildup: High RPMs = wear. Pick your poison, but either way - in time - the grim rebuild reaper will come-a-knocking..."

Very well said, think there needs to be a bit more attention paid to the higher RPS's = wear side of the equation in this thread.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:56 PM
obchuck
Racer

Maybe I'll just end the thread right here by saying: Drive it how you like!!! (after all, you bought it!)...and know sooner or later you'll have to fix something!!

Quick Reply: Is it wrong of me to motor in 6th at 1.6K rpm and admire my motor sound...?