Sponsored by:

Help with Hawk HP Plus Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:14 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with Hawk HP Plus Brakes

I recently got a set of Hawk HP Plus pads for my dual use car. Has anyone used these pads for dual use. They are very loud on the street but great on the track. I have started to swap them out before track days.

One issue I have is that my rotors have a very defined lip and the front pads are riding on top of that lip, and trying to create a matching grove in the pad. The rear pads seem to be doing the same thing only on the inside but not as bad.

Is it possible that I have the wrong size of pads or are my rotors old. I have a C4S so I these are on big reds.

Do new rotors have a lip or are they even across the entire rotor.

The Hawk Part numbers are:

HB141N.650
HB184N.650
Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I once used these for DE at Moroso. 100 miles track use and they were gone... Metal against metal.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:56 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

You have worn rotors. If you're using new pads on old rotors the pads will have to self-machine to the profile of the rotor, so I think your lip issue isn't a big deal.

I've used the HP Plus on my 951. They were OK for moderate track use but wear quickly once you get faster. They also squeal like stuck pigs on the street so I swap, too. I used my last set up last season and have a box of PF97s waiting to go.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:08 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have used the HP-Plus for dual use before. Finn is right, they don't last very long on the track. But they have great bite, even when cold, and are very progressive/easy to modulate. They are damn loud on the street though, I had to swap them out after a while because no girl wouldn't ride in the car.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

So what are you you guys using now in their place?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:19 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

As a point of reference I was using OE Pads and they were ok, but I need a lot more bite without going to aggressive pads. I must not be very fast because I was getting decent wear out of my OE pads. And wear on the new HP Plus is good.

Not sure if it is possible to still have original rotors at 50k miles, but I think it may be time to change my rotors.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:42 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OT, FWIW, I had very good luck with Mintex Reds on the street with my BMW. Slight stopping improvement over stock and dust is almost eliminated.

Now the Boss rolls a Mercedes. The guys on MBworld seem to love Axxis Deluxe, which are from the same(?) manufacturer. Similar performance to Mintex Red. Again, both are for street cars only.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:55 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dcdude68
OT, FWIW, I had very good luck with Mintex Reds on the street with my BMW. Slight stopping improvement over stock and dust is almost eliminated.

Now the Boss rolls a Mercedes. The guys on MBworld seem to love Axxis Deluxe, which are from the same(?) manufacturer. Similar performance to Mintex Red. Again, both are for street cars only.
Axxis pads are trash. Get good brake pads guys - don't skimp on stuff like brake pads and tires - why did you buy a Porsche
Old 07-20-2007, 03:29 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Benz has Axxis. Porsche has Textars. Each work great for their given application.

Not sure how improved braking and low dust = trash.

Last edited by dcdude; 07-20-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:25 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 231 Posts

IMO the HP Plus aren't a good compromise and frankly I'm not sure if anyone makes a good compromise pad. All track pads are dusty and loud. Period. You should switch between a race compound and a street one if you can't live with the noise.

My advice for the track would be switch to the blues (9012) if you're at a beginning level and if you find yourself with smoking front rotors use the HT10s or 14s or the newer compound DTC 60/70 if you can find them. Use the stock Porsche (jurid textar whatever they are) for the street. Get rid of the noise shims as they're a PITA to take on and off.

But first and foremost get new rotors- if you have a fairly noticeable lip they're getting pretty worn. Different makes of pads have a slightly different surface area and it's always best to bed new pads with new rotors.

IMO Hawks are the best providing you have the right compound. Unlike a lot of other pads (notably Pagid) Hawks give you the ability to switch back to street pads- there is no film build up on the rotors. Competition Frictions are also good (and come in a number of formulas); I used them for a number of years no problems.

Lots of folks also swear by Pagids- I just didn't like the goop on my rotors and rebedding them at what seemed like every event- but the newer Pagid compounds (black) supposedly eliminate this.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:53 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Sorry if I wans't clear. Benz has Axxis. Porsche has Textars. Each work great for their given application.

Not sure how improved braking and low dust = trash.
Thought you were talking for the 993. I've tried the Axxis ultimates for a cheap street pad when I didn't want to spend the $ for the textars, and let me assure you they can be overcooked approaching a fast onramp - they're trash in the 993 application.

Quick Reply: Help with Hawk HP Plus Brakes