Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Electronic fix for SAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does that mean that there might not be an electronic way to fool the system for CA cars?
Is this mod possible on a 96 ECU?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:08 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So what's with the disappearing posts in this thread?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:14 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahahaha you noticed, I just removed some of my un-necessary posts
Old 07-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Svaha
Does that mean that there might not be an electronic way to fool the system for CA cars?
Is this mod possible on a 96 ECU?
There is one I know of...check here:
http://turbowerx.com/Products/SAI_By...AI_Bypass.html

It's a bypass system that cannot be detected and does not effect engine performance. From what I've read and heard, it effectively convinces the computer that the SAI is working fine. There, problem solved!!

Lots of good info on their website, so read about it there. I know the developer through our local Porsche Club. He's an Electrical Engineer with 20+ years experience and quite a few hot-rod Porsches himself. It's been tested and proven to work. I'm in line for one once they release in August. Never hurts to be prepared....
Old 07-18-2007, 05:08 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne

It's a bypass system that cannot be detected and does not effect engine performance. From what I've read and heard, it effectively convinces the computer that the SAI is working fine. There, problem solved!!

Lots of good info on their website, so read about it there. I know the developer through our local Porsche Club. He's an Electrical Engineer with 20+ years experience and quite a few hot-rod Porsches himself. It's been tested and proven to work. I'm in line for one once they release in August. Never hurts to be prepared....
Thanks for the link Adrienne. It's saved on my favorites so when, or if, the SAI CEL shows its ugly head, I'll be ready.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:42 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Adrienne. That is a great site!

Question: Should this bypass be installed before any the SAI issue or after? Once the SAI are clogged and triggers the code, would a simple code clear coupled with this bypass suffice?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm...good question 99three. I don't see how it would matter either way, as clearing the code from the computer after it has triggered only causes the computer to cycle through the testing process again. The same process would be followed if you were to actually clean the SAI. The difference with bypass installation after SAI trigger is that the computer then THINKS the SAI were cleaned. As far as I know, there is no record kept on the computer for deleted codes, but I'm no expert on the topic.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:37 PM
dhicks
Drifting

A...thats awesome .... at $300 its much cheaper that the ECU remap....I will certainly try him as well
David
Old 07-18-2007, 11:06 PM
hddude
Racer

Originally Posted by Adrienne

I'm thinking about doing this when it becomes available next month even though I've never had SAI issues. I'm not in the habit of fixing things that aren't broken, but this whole issue has caused way too much worry. Every car has an Achilles heel and this seems to be ours. Why not spend a few hundred bucks and permanently take it out of the equation? Not only would it eliminate my major worry about the car but I can brag about having it installed if I ever do the unthinkable and sell the car.

It does concern me that this part was created by a small independent shop, though. For example, if the guy isn't around in a few years and I have problems with the part I wonder if I would be able to simply remove it and return the car to stock. Also, I am a bit concerned that it could cause me problems with the AZ smog ***** when I run it through their OBD II electronics test.

Do y'all think I'm crazy to consider "fixing" this nonexistent problem?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

what is the legality of messing with a smog control like this? I thought it was a big fine if a shop did a mod to a smog part.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:16 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
what is the legality of messing with a smog control like this? I thought it was a big fine if a shop did a mod to a smog part.
Is as legal as running Cat bypass pipes, but that hasn't stop many from using them for "off road" purposes only.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:44 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
It is 100% illegal for anyone to sell or install anything that screws with OBD2 monitoring functions. I already went 9 yards with the EPA a few years ago, back when the SAI electronic bypass plans first surfaced on Rennlist and I was molding plastic connectors for the O2 sensors for a plug'n'play solution put together by another Rennlister. At least in the eyes of the enforcement division at the EPA it doesn't matter if you add the disclaimer, "for off-road use only."

Originally Posted by hdude
Do y'all think I'm crazy to consider "fixing" this nonexistent problem?
Wait until the problem surfaces or better yet put the money towards replacing the SAI check valve.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:01 AM
hddude
Racer

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Is as legal as running Cat bypass pipes, but that hasn't stop many from using them for "off road" purposes only.
No kidding and legit businesses will often participate in this terrible lawbreaking. When I lived in SoCal the local Harley dealer routinely removed the CARB CA only-version pipes with catalytic converters imbedded. Obviously they and every customer could have been busted -- including their several cop customers. I don't imagine the fact they also pasted phony DOT stickers on their cheapo beanie helmets was exactly OK under CA's mandatory helmet law either.

I don't think I'll be able to get this SAI bypass installed at the local stealer but I'll bet I can find an independent wrench who will do it. Write me at the State Pen.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:12 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
It is 100% illegal for anyone to sell or install anything that screws with OBD2 monitoring functions. I already went 9 yards with the EPA a few years ago, back when the SAI electronic bypass plans first surfaced on Rennlist and I was molding plastic connectors for the O2 sensors for a plug'n'play solution put together by another Rennlister. At least in the eyes of the enforcement division at the EPA it doesn't matter if you add the disclaimer, "for off-road use only."

Wait until the problem surfaces or better yet put the money towards replacing the SAI check valve.
I agree since I was the "other rennlister". The solution is a piece of cake, its the legal ramifications from the EPA. At the end the profit potential was not proportional to the risk so we dropped it. Another roadblock is the connectors, they are not available readily and this is why Jason was trying to fab them up.

I have another idea for a solution that I am working on but it might also have problems with the EPA....I need to find time to prototype it first.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-19-2007, 03:25 AM
jrb964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is this device? Is a physical bypass or an electronic bypass? My wrench and I have come up with an inexpensive way to bypass the current plugged SAI system and maintain the integrity of the OBD-II, for a lot less money that a rebuild.
I currently get the dreaded light after about 200 miles of driving after it is reset. The code only shows bank 4-6. I hate that yellow light, and I would like for the CEL to indicate a more serious problem than SAI.
We going to modify my car next week, July 24, and see what happens. The fix will be very reversible if it does not work.

Quick Reply: Electronic fix for SAI