Coupe vs. non, stiffness

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:04 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coupe vs. non, stiffness

Hopefully not a repost. In the May 07 Excellence there's an article about the 997 Targa and it talks about the torsional rigidity of coupe, cab and Targa. I was surprised to see there is a huge difference in stiffness, and this is with the latest engineering too.

Coupe: 24,331 lb-ft/degree
Cab: 7,373 lb-ft/degree
Targa: 11,059 lb-ft/degree
Old 07-18-2007, 05:22 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say that after driving my 3.2 Targa for 18 years, when I was deciding to sell it and move to a 993 I decided to look for another white Targa. While I was looking I came across a clean silver coupe and took it for a drive. That car was amazingly tight. For a mid 90s car that thing is built like a tank. Such a nice car I almost changed my mind and went for the coupe, but in the end after having a 84 Targa for 18 years, and a 68 targa for 4 years, and a 914 for 3 years, I just couldn't bear with not being able to open the top up wide, so I opted for the 993 Targa instead of the coupe. But boy is the coupe solid. The Targa is a stiff solid car for one that is built on a convertible platform. But squeaks and rattles come and go throughout the day depending on temperature and road conditions. That coupe was Panzer like. I cant imagine how stiff it would be with a cage in one. The coupes I also will say are more beautiful, the C pillar curve is absolutely perfect. But, a more open car, one that flexes a little, rattles a little, and leaks a little..... for me it is the sports car balance. The Targa for me was the right combo. But the flex difference is noticable.

Quick Reply: Coupe vs. non, stiffness