Sponsored by:

How easy is front bumper cover removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Removing it is not a big deal. Basically, remove turn signal, bumperette and fog light. Remove 4 top screws under hood, remove 6 bottom screws under bumper/splitter, remove 2 screws per side for bumper to fender and bottom bracket. Need to remove 2 front wheels and fender liner to get to those.

What is a PITA is re-installing it and aligning it. You may want to also buy two new rubber gaskets since the old ones need to be removed for painting.

There are details on p-car.com DIY section:
http://p-car.com/diy/bumper
Thanks so much for all this info, I've been considering doing this project too but didn't know what was involved.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Rick...you're moving to Arizona? When? Why?
Because I can! I cannot stand this overcrowded, overpriced, commuter hell, rat racetrack anymore. My company's best performing territory is the SW US, where there is currently no sales rep! So they're sending me out there to make it perform even better. No radar detector ban, plenty of empty desert fast driving, great gun laws, close to CA without their insane politics - what could be better? Oh, no winter either. Can't wait!
Old 07-17-2007, 05:11 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Rick, Sorry for the OT but do you have any pics of your SC? I have a friend who has an 85 Carrera that wants to do samething as you did with your SC. Same color and everything.

Thanks,
Old 07-17-2007, 05:20 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tour18
Wow guys! Thanks for the info. I'm going to do an R&R to go with a GT2 wing...
You mean like this?
Old 07-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
Hey Rick, Sorry for the OT but do you have any pics of your SC? I have a friend who has an 85 Carrera that wants to do samething as you did with your SC. Same color and everything.

Thanks,
Sure, I'll post them here. No one will mind, right? I got the side script from Mikez on Pelican, who makes and sells graphics stuff.

BTW, do I need to install any new gaskets when I put the bumper cover back on, or can I reuse the old one? And if I need a new one, does anyone have the part #?
Attached Images    
Old 07-17-2007, 06:04 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rick! Do you have a bigger picture of your avatar?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think this is it.
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Because I can! I cannot stand this overcrowded, overpriced, commuter hell, rat racetrack anymore. My company's best performing territory is the SW US, where there is currently no sales rep! So they're sending me out there to make it perform even better. No radar detector ban, plenty of empty desert fast driving, great gun laws, close to CA without their insane politics - what could be better? Oh, no winter either. Can't wait!
Very cool, Rick. We'll miss you at the DE's, but I'm sure you'll be making a regular appearance here and on Dorki.

BTW, the no winter and dry air thing appeals the most to me. Good luck out there!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:47 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Rick! Do you have a bigger picture of your avatar?
Which Rick? The one fleeing to AZ or me, the guy that likes winter?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:54 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
I hate you
Old 07-17-2007, 07:16 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Which Rick? The one fleeing to AZ or me, the guy that likes winter?
Sorry RickBetterley. I was asking for Rick Lee avatar.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mark. Hopefully, I'll be able to afford to get back into the track thing in AZ when I'm not spending all my money on the cost of living here and the track season is a little longer there. Best of all, I WILL have a three-car garage, I WILL ride my 1200GS all over the desert, to Moab, wherever, I WILL have a swimming pool and I WILL have a lift in my garage. I'll probably get sent out there around January, just in time to burn my winter clothes.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:02 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I, too left the DC area (see handle) over 20 years ago for browner pastures on the "left coast" as my dad says. Even in summer the water at the beach never gets as warm and convertibles can get chilly at night, but otherwise I never looked back and have actually lived more of my life in CA (still weird). I still follow my Redskins and rock my 'Skins shwag at all opportunities, but my trips to DC are less and less frequent.

Fortunately, I can get Old Bay and crab meat at Trader Joe's and Costco. But apparently there's no need to keep searching for Old Heurich http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030301853.html

Is it Phoenix, then, Rick Lee? I agree, ANYWHERE in AZ is better for streetbike riding than LA County. I've pretty much hung up my helmet and gloves until I move out of the city. The 993 is about as risky as I go. You'll have to come check out our SoCal get togethers and I can hook you up with an old friend in PHX who's a gearhead and enjoys sporting arms as well...
Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Man, I just can't get to AZ fast enough. I'm getting married in Valley of Fire in Oct. and then driving to LA for a few days and then up the coast to the wine country. I dunno how much Porsche stuff I can sneak into a honeymoon, but I'm dying to hang out with some of the LA folks.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry RickBetterley. I was asking for Rick Lee avatar.
I feel so rejected...

Quick Reply: How easy is front bumper cover removal?