Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

My 95 wont rev over about 5400....Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks Steve, I will do that if the fuel system is pumping as it should. I really dont want to bother you any more. Im sure it is a stupid problem but I just want to drive the car. I had a 1970 911t growing up (Still have it, 59k miles) and have had a 1999 and a 2000 996 and after I sold the 996's I decided to find a 993. I have instructed for PCA, BMWCCA and Viper club for years and have always loved 993's and this is just frustrating. I know that it is just a small BS issue and it will be fine in a few days but it has just take the wind out of my sails. At least my 540 sport wagon and X5 run good I can still take the 540 on the track if the 993 stays a POS.......
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Don't lift
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem on my older '84 911 and it was the air flow meter..... maybe worth a look.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:35 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could it be just a chip gone bad? Any thoughts of trying another stock chip to see if that solves the issue? If you still have the rev. limiter problems, that rules out the chip.

I have had a rev. limiter issue and I got through it with the help of someone. Some guy named Steve W. up in Portland. Anyone heard of him??

Not saying the chip is the problem but hell, it may be worth a shot.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:41 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

This may be a long shot, but did you try asking the place you got the car from to see if they would give you the previous owners info to get more info. Maybe he did everything you did, and can shed some light on the situation.
And Steve W @ Rennsport is simply the best....
Old 07-26-2007, 11:52 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Ok, Update, plugs, dist caps, rotors, plug wires, fuel filter and AFM all replaced. Car is still the same. No better.
Before you waste any more money shot-gunning your problem find someone local that can troubleshoot a 993 properly. Replacing the MAF is HUGE waste of money when you can check its operation with a Bosch Hammer or Porsche System Tester 2.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:59 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Jason, We only replaced the MAF with one from a known running car to see if that is the problem. After the car was the same it was switched back. I dont have a problem replacing the plugs, caps and wires since these are regular maint items that needed it anyways. After he checks the fuel pump flow and some of the sensors etc, if the problem isnt found we will have to do as you say. Thanks for all the help guys. I am making this a bigger deal than it is but I just want to get in the car and drive
Old 07-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Peter R.
Pro

I suspect the crankshaft sensor.

Peter R.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:19 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

I went through hoops with my Explorer awhile back ago, on another forum, and received 10 different suggestions in which all 10 were incorrect.

If I were a betting man, I would say 98% of the suggustions so far have been incorrect. Somewhere, 1 may be correct.

It will be interesting to find out what the issue is when its in the shop with the right tools and diagnostics are done.

What a bummer having to deal with this on a brand new purchase but it will soon be over with.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I am making this a bigger deal than it is
Absolutely not! I would be little pissed off if after driving a few hundred miles home, I discovered that my new (to me) 993 wasn't working properly.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:54 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just called the shop and they are going to check the fuel pump flow in a little bit. I really hope that is what it is. I have a big icecream outing with my daughters tonight and want to take the 911!! I am most upset with myself that I didnt drive it hard enough when I was test driving it. It is my fault but when it is all said and done, it will be an awesome car with all the maintenance up to date.....except that I want to put a clutch in it this fall and then starts the great debate about the LWT Fw......
Old 07-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

....I want to put a clutch in it this fall and then starts the great debate about the LWT Fw......
LOL,.....That will REALLY wake up that car,...
Old 07-27-2007, 03:30 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
LOL,.....That will REALLY wake up that car,...
It will wake it up but im not sure if i want to deal with the annoying rattle that comes with EVERY light flywheel that I have ever had. I need to get the car lower and a perfect alignment on it before I do anything else. I did buy a 997 GT3RS suede shifter for it that Im looking forward to modifying to fit the 993. The car will only see a couple track days a year so I need to decide what all I really want to do. I dont partictularly enjoy driving a street car on the track after having actual racecars and I dont want to start the slippery slope of turning a good street car into an overly annoying street car that is great on the track. I will buy a spec miata before I do something like that. Besides, I am going to start the restoration on my 70 T here this winter and that one is going to be Gruppe R esque with a 3.6 but still very streetable but entertaining.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:28 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

I just called the shop and they are going to check the fuel pump flow in a little bit. I really hope that is what it is. I have a big icecream outing with my daughters tonight and want to take the 911!! I am most upset with myself that I didnt drive it hard enough when I was test driving it. It is my fault but when it is all said and done, it will be an awesome car with all the maintenance up to date.....except that I want to put a clutch in it this fall and then starts the great debate about the LWT Fw......
My buddy up in Incline Village test drove my car when I bought it. My exact words were "Drive it like you stole it and get down on it. Give it hell and tell me what you think." He took my advice. Who wouldnt?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Mark:

As you well know, everything we do in life has tradeoffs and the RS LWF is simply one of those,...

If you are going to build an R Gruppe 3.6-powered '70 T, I would forego the LWF and keep the 993 closer to stock. You will be using the 6 lb FW in that thing so you won't need the thrill in this car,...
We've done a LOT of those conversions,...
Old 07-27-2007, 06:24 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That is exactly what I was thinking. I just got home from work a few min ago and passed a buddy on the side of the highway in his 5 sseries with the flashers on. Anyway, to make a short story long, I picked him up and took him home to get his trailer (actually a 48' emclosed featherlight) and pick up his broken car. We were talking and (he also has a 993 and a 951 racecar and a 914-6) about LWF's and his car is also going to need a clutch soon so he mentioned that someone is selling single mass flywheel kits for these. I think that is probably what I am going to do . It sounds like a good compromise. Last question, on a 993, can you get the tranny out w/o dropping the motor?

Quick Reply: My 95 wont rev over about 5400....Help!!