Sponsored by:

rennline rev2 pedals

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:48 AM
nonzerosum
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rennline rev2 pedals

Crappy pic of 3 of 4 parts installed (It's late and I want to go to bed) of the rennline rev.2 pedals, with a bit of dirt from a test drive.

Black with black extensions. Low bling. Accelerator pedal is very very adjustable, with height and depth adjustments of both the heel and toe sections made relatively easily. The wing extensions are also easily adjustable laterally. Feels great after a brief run around the block and heel-toe will be much much easier for my small shoe size.

Instructions for the accelerator install are fair. A few minor quips: the connector b/t the accelerator pedal and the ball joint is ridiculously long. You will be forced to use a hack saw on this piece, as the instructions suggest. The problem is that it might take a couple of cuts to get to the right length, and each time, you need to disconnect the entire connector which is a bit of an awkward endeavour when your head is stuck by your brake pedal.

Also, the accelerator pedal stop on the top of the peda (which is also adjustable for length - a good thing) is far too short to reach the floor of the car. Will I be getting into problems stretching the accelerator cable? What are the symptoms of a problem like this?

I'll report back after use at track day on Friday.
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2007, 09:12 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the non-bling look. How much was the dead pedal?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:33 AM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Nonzerosum, I installed all but dead pedal last week, I got the black also but without rubber nubs. I had to move the black plastic bumper for the accelerator pedal stop Up on the wooden cover plate so that the pedal's stop screw would have something other than wood to stop against. This added about 1/2 inch behind the stop screw.
Did you have to move the accelerator link to the outside of the pedal frame, like I did, to prevent binding ?
Glenn, '96 C2
Old 07-11-2007, 12:52 PM
nonzerosum
Intermediate

Glen replied: "Did you have to move the accelerator link to the outside of the pedal frame, like I did, to prevent binding ?"

No, I inserted the accelerator link into the pedal frame, as per the instructions. However, I have not tightened the link to the frame completely (it is tight enough to drive, but has a fair amt of play) b/c of the difficulty in getting at the nut and b/c I'll need to dissassemble it and cut the accelerator link (again) to drop the peddle a bit more.

My peddle did not seem to bind in the limited time that I've used it. What are the details of your binding problem?

Also: did you mount the base on the slots closer to the base of the peddle frame or farther from the base of the peddle frame. I mounted mine on the closer slots (ie, the base of the peddle frame will be 1 cm farther from me). - so for anyone else considering the Rev.2 pedals: even the base of the peddle is somewhat adjustable for depth.

cheers,
bert
Old 07-11-2007, 02:31 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
I like the non-bling look. How much was the dead pedal?
I think Pelican has the dead pedal for around $75. I plan to do it, too, as I like the (somewhat) OEM look and have read good recommendations for Rennline products here.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:16 PM
AX993
Pro

Nonzerosum, The binding was the result of the angle of the link and rod on the pedal not lineing up with the link on the car. Even with the ball-joint like linkages and the pedal all the way to the right, when the pedal link ball was between the pedal frame up-rights as shown in the instructions I would have had to bend the threaded rod to make the connection. So I moved the pedal ball-link to the outside right of the frame and put the lock-nut between the pedal frame uprights. Seems to work good this way, but not as per instructions.

I mounted the pedal base as you did only because it looked closest to the stock pedal mount position.
I've only driven the car once since the install and I'm not sure where I'll end up on the adjustments.

I haven't mounted the dead pedal yet. Did you have any interference issues with wires, tubing, when you drilled the holes for the screws ? I'm a little chicken when it comes to drilling holes in the body sheetmetal.

Glenn
Old 07-11-2007, 11:54 PM
AX993
Pro

Here are some photos of mine;

In the detail photo, the black rectangular plastic pad on the wooden backboard is the stock pedal stop that has been moved upwards. The two holes below it are the original mounting holes.
Glenn
Attached Images   
Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 AM
nonzerosum
Intermediate

Glenn:

Thanks for the pics. The RL community is great for info! Interesting about your binding issue - mine is not a problem at all. I wonder if anyone else will have the same problem.

Funny, your brake and clutch look like they have 4 bolts mounting them each. I only have 2 each.

No fear in mounting the dead pedal. Are there a lot of vulnerable things underneath the carpet dead pedal? Ignorance can be bliss(!) and it was too much pulling out glued down carpet to check underneath. The mount feels secure, but you'll notice that the pedal isn't necessarily molded to the frame. I think this is why they give you so many options to mount the 3rd screw.

Is it hard to move the rubber stop on the wood board? (ie, can I do it in 15 minutes tonight)?

thanks,
bert
Old 07-12-2007, 12:38 AM
AX993
Pro

Bert,

Yes, 4 bolts per pedal on brake and clutch. The left lower locknuts were kinda close to the welds. Not sure I would recommend it. Two or three bolts would probably hold 'em fine.

Thanks for deadpedal courage !

I used a forstner bit in a small drill-press to drill the two holes higher on the backboard. Took longer to remove the backboard from the car than to drill the holes.

Glenn

Last edited by AX993; 07-13-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:39 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you mount the dead pedal over the carpet, or have to cut out the carpet for mounting?
Old 07-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

You mount over the carpet. I have the Rennline fully adjustable throttle set. I'd highly recommend them, or whichever set from Rennline suits you. The fully adjustable suited my dainty foot, but if you are normal size, you probably don't need so much adjustability.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:25 PM
AX993
Pro

Finally finished the install including the dead pedal. Drilled three holes for the screws, jacked the left side of the car and removed several plastic panels, but could never see where the screws came thru so I could put some paint into them. The body must be double walled ? Anyway here is the final picture. I really like the black with red extensions in my black on black 993. Not as bling as silver I think. My apologies if I'm Hijacking this thread
Attached Images  

Last edited by AX993; 07-16-2007 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: rennline rev2 pedals