Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

scam victory motorcars

Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 PM
CDILL
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 11 Posts

I have heard good things and to many bad things reguarding Victory Motor Cars. With as many bad things there a floating around out there I would try to stay clear of them buying or selling a car. I don't think anyone would like to be caught up in a bad trasaction on a $30,000 + vehicle. Why take a chance?

And my dad can beat up your dad
Old 07-12-2007, 12:43 PM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been a car dealer for 14 years and I must say that I've never made $10,000 profit on any car. Your impressions on the profitability of car dealers maybe a little out of whack.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:08 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JDA, I wouldnt start this argument again, everyone seems to think all car guys are evil and trixy and hoorid liars blah blah.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:15 PM
biotechee
Racer

While I am clearly not even close to being knowledgeable about 993's, I definitely think Victory has some beautiful examples. Part of which, granted, is due to their detailer.

I guess the smartest thing to do is to have an unbiased individual who knows a thing or two about 993's have a look at any car that someone may be interested in- this is one thing I have learned from lurking here.

If I were in the market, and I could get an unbiased inspection from another nearby Rennlister, I think I would be okay with buying from them after receiving the .

No affiliation whatsoever (just want a 993 badly!)
Old 07-12-2007, 01:17 PM
jda407
Racer

don't have any interest in that argument. people have their impressions and that's going to stay. I just keep doing things my way, I happen to be in an industry with certain reputations, doesn't mean I do business that way. I've been in business for 14 years, about 80% of my customers are repeat customers and I would say at least 60% - 80% of my first time buyers come back. So I must be doing something right.
Are there dealers out there that are crooks and looking to screw someone?? Absolutely!!! Doesn't mean you have to deal with them though.
I will point out that a lot of the time there is a discrepancy of what someone "thinks" or "feels" their car is worth and what the car is truely worth in the market. In that case, wait for that buyer that "thinks" or "feels" the same way. Someone else said it earlier, if you're strapped for cash...you need out now...then you'll be stuck with what the market says your car is worth.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:19 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by long_beach_968
JDA, I wouldnt start this argument again, everyone seems to think all car guys are evil and trixy and hoorid liars blah blah.
Who says car guys are evil? It's the questionable ethics of dealers that everyone has a problem with.

Sure there are some dealers who add value by fixing problems with cars before they resell them. But many add none at all, other than a shiny detail and expert photography. For the most part, every car sold to a dealer is a car that an actual "car guy" will have to pay more for down the road for no good reason. Worse, some dealers actually build deception into their business model, concealing or failing to fully disclose issues with the cars they sell.

You tell me why dealers like that shouldn't get the abuse they deserve from the people who actually care about the cars!
Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
jda407
Racer

hey...I'm not defending dealers, nor am I taking a stand in this argument.

but....can you honestly say that every private individual that sells a vehicle does any different? Carfax's success was not built on dealer sales alone.

how many individuals have learned that there is something major about to go wrong with their car. Or something major has just happened and gone straight to the dealer to trade in that car without telling anything.

come on...selling used cars is a topic that has many issues...whether it's a dealer selling it or a private individual.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jda407
I've been a car dealer for 14 years and I must say that I've never made $10,000 profit on any car.
No offence Jim.......but it happens quite regularily. My record is $43K on a F430 spider.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:24 PM
jda407
Racer

moral to the story is that all buyers must do their homework. proper inspection and research will avoid anyone making a bad purchase. I you don't do that and you buy a bad car or pay too much for a car...is it really the sellers fault???
Old 07-12-2007, 01:26 PM
jda407
Racer

no offense taken YYC930. Good for you that you are able to do that. I reiterate....moral to the story is that all buyers must do their homework. proper inspection and research will avoid anyone making a bad purchase. I you don't do that and you buy a bad car or pay too much for a car...is it really the sellers fault???
Old 07-12-2007, 01:27 PM
jda407
Racer

very rarely can you sell something for more than it's worth. You can, however, sometimes purchase something for less than it's worth. In any business of this sort, you make your money on the purchase, not the sell.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:34 PM
creator8
Instructor

I bought my car, a 98 993 Targa, from Victory. No problems and a very hassle free experience and a good car. I'm not going to say that I'd go out for drink with Robert--the principal there--but he was polite and pleasant. I probably paid a few more bucks for my car, than had I spent six months hunting the right one at the right price down, but he had a good car that I wanted so I paid for it.

The thread starter here needs to grow up and be a big boy. Doesn't sound like anything major happened. Sure, if he'd bought a car that was a wrip off then fine put it out there, but this doesn't sound like anything to get riled up about and certainly nothing to use the might and force of the IRS to fix!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey jda - pretty cool aphorism!
Old 07-12-2007, 01:49 PM
jda407
Racer

thanks Marlon.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Another Victory 993 purchaser here... The car was exactly as advertised. No regrets what-so-ever. I too probably paid a bit more than I would have had I searched & searched. I wanted the car though and was happy with the price.

Just my 2 cents.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: scam victory motorcars