Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Do you Valet your Pcar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:43 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a couple of times when there wasn't really a choice. One tip: pull fuse #8 so they can't move your seat - I hate it when they do that.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I don't really know ....but I myself have damaged my cars parking some times (small, crowded parking places) so I prefer to let them park so I have someone to blame and yell to
Old 08-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Pete
Instructor

I've valet parked my 993 (and 944) several times in Chicago at hotels, mainly at the Chicago Hyatt on Wacker and the guys there are great. They look over the car front to back (and I've seen them do it on cars other than Porsches) and note any blems before they drive away to the garage and it's always been exactly like I've left it with them when I leave....radio on the same station, seat in the original position, etc. And I almost always get a complement on both cars when I pick them up. Nearly all the parking valets there are Africans and they are very conscientious with how they treat the customers and the cars.

I think you'll find that Porsches are well known world wide and treated with respect, maybe more respect from non-native-born USA parkers than from the pimply-faced teenagers that someone referred to on this thread.

Pete
Old 08-12-2007, 10:42 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

As a former valet at a posh country club in New Jersey (in my teenage years), I can tell you first hand that there is no F*%$'ing chance that I would let a valet touch my car. We used to sit in the valet shack drinking beer and bragging about how fast we could get a car going in the 200 yrd straight part of the lot. We had no respect... rode the clutch... burnt up the tires... searched for spare change on the floor. We got drunk one night and actually took one of the SUVs out on the golf course. It just didn't matter; at 5$ an hour plus tips, we just didn't care. Worst thing that could happen is that we'd get fired.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:01 AM
george_k
Instructor

NO WAY! If go somewhere that I may have to garage or valet I take my Truck.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:30 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by george_k
NO WAY! If go somewhere that I may have to garage or valet I take my Truck.
I am worried about valet parking as well, but I also want to take my Porsche places and running into valet situations is going to happen.

So, what should I do if the spiffy place I end up going has valet service, I can't find any place to park by myself....should I pack it up and go home?

If I will have to worry all the time whether I can stop and park, that would really cut into enjoyment of Porshce ownership, right?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:44 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Default 997 TT vs 993 C4

Okay...so I go to this somewhat trendy spot in LA, and directly in front of me is a brand new 997 Twin Turbo. The guy pulls up, jumps out, tosses the valet the keys, takes his ticket and without so much as a backwards glance strolls away.

I'm next. I pull up, and tell the valet to "Get in."

"Huh?"
"Get in"
"Me?"
"Yesss, you"
"Why?"
"Because WE are going to go park, with me driving and you directing."

He smiles and gets in the passenger seat, and off we go.

The moral of the story?....Here I am in my $30-$35k 95 C4 and I won't let the valets touch it In front of me is a guy in his $120-$130k 07 997 TT and he tosses the keys and walks away. All I can think of is, WOW!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:50 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They're just cars............
Old 08-13-2007, 12:55 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Here I am in my $30-$35k 95 C4 and I won't let the valets touch it In front of me is a guy in his $120-$130k 07 997 TT and he tosses the keys and walks away. All I can think of is, WOW!
Having lived in LA on/off over several decades (80s, 90s and 2000s) and knowing the ratio of real Porsche owners like you compared to brand-new-Porsche poseurs in LA is slim, the guy in front of you who tosses the key to the valet probably has Tiptronic, and the lever set on letter D.

You do suggest a good move: drive with the valet guy telling you where to go.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:30 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

The problem with pulling the seat fuse is the valet will keep pressing on the stupid round 4way disc thing because it isn't working and crack it
Old 08-13-2007, 03:58 AM
supergrass
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The only time I valeted my car went something like this when I returned: "Sir, your battery is dead on your car, it just makes a click noise and won't turn over" Gotta love the drive block.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:58 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
They're just cars............

Yes they are---contraption of metal and rubber to get one from point A to point B.

And NO they are not---it's doubtful Pong would have had a quarter point shaved off the mortgage loan if he had pulled up in a Chevy Silverado or Toyota Camry.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:33 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Yes they are---contraption of metal and rubber to get one from point A to point B.

And NO they are not---it's doubtful Pong would have had a quarter point shaved off the mortgage loan if he had pulled up in a Chevy Silverado or Toyota Camry.
Years ago a buddy of mine parked cars at a very expensive club and told me of some joy rides he had at the expense of some owners that never had a clue. Moral : No phuking way!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 192 Posts

Nine times out of ten, there are some nicer cars parked out front than my Porsche. I tend to valet in general but do exercise discretion.

A friend of mine had a 993TT back in 97 and parked in the middle median of Deleware Ave in Philadelphia. Now that is someone who had silly money. Not only did he buy the car but then does not care where the heck he parks it
Old 08-14-2007, 02:34 AM
nahtnoj
Intermediate

Default C&D 10Best Material

C&D is doing "valet horror stories" for its 10 Best issue this year. I think you may be a candidate!

Originally Posted by David Ray
Here's a true valet story I've been dying to tell since May 07:

For my daughters 19th birthday we finally break down for the dreaded 1st car! I pick her up from college and we go to the most ridiculous used car lots I can find. OMG she was a riot – the look and body language was priceless when we looked at the misc. cars. LSS: she wants a Passat and we buy a Passat. (Yea, yea I’m easy). We bring it home and it’s beautiful! All the pic and poses with the new ride.

That evening we have dinner res. at Flemming’s in La Jolla and of course she wants to drive the new car. No problem. Anyone familiar with the three restaurants at the Aventine complex (SD) knows there’s "only" valet parking unless you want to walk a good bit. We pull in, park, get out, turn the car over to the valet, start to enter Fleming’s and b-a-n-g, girls screaming, etc. I hesitate but decided to look back. (The rest of the family have already entered the restaurant).

Much to my surprise there’s a Land Rover sitting on the hood of my daughter’s new car. Mind you, just over 3 hours old. I start ranting at the valet in my daughter’s car and almost loose control. Finally he gets a word in and says, “the guy in the Range Rover backed into your car, I hadn’t even put it into drive yet!” I look at the valet in the RR and he takes off running. Apparently he put the RR in reverse thinking it was drive and floored it...well the rest is history!

Every mgr from every restaurant comes out to see what the problem is. My family comes back out, the Valet mgr comes out and it’s a frickn crying fest!!!! Yes it goes on and I won’t bore you – yes free dinner and two very nice bottles of Silver Oak (Napa) Cab 2001.

$4,000 dollars later the car is fixed and the valet company was incredible in their commitment they made to make sure the car was restored to it’s original condition (with genuine VW parts). I’ve never been through a more seamless transaction after something like this but truly the valet company made it easy.

As for my 993 – NO! I don’t valet.

Quick Reply: Do you Valet your Pcar?