Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Let's talk about those mods we regret:

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:19 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A $3,800 hi-fi for my Targa. Even though the weather here in summer is 30-33c (86-91F) with 80-95% humidity I drove with the windows open and often with the Targa top down. The sound was great from my Ruf mufflers and the engine. Pity I could not appreciate the hi-fi. Now wait, I am being a bit harsh. It was great at idle or when the engine was off! And the bloody thing weighed a ton!

Oh, and I know this is very much the minority experience on this board, RSR mufflers. Their resonance in my car at around 3000rpms was something I could not live with.

Big Reds on the Targa. They were a lot of money and they added additional unsprung weight for a higher fade resistance capability which I probably did not need. All is not lost though as I have put them on Project Orange which I think will need them on the track with her extra power.

I hope I do not have to add to this list after I get Project Orange back, but given all the changes I am making I worry.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big Red Brakes - Absolutely no fade, but additional unsprung weight. Learn to brake less.

Turbo S Spoiler - Looks aggressive, but adds drag and does not look as stock.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Fisher
Big Red Brakes - Absolutely no fade, but additional unsprung weight. Learn to brake less.

Learn to brake less is good...the unsprung weight will not be that significant. Now if we are talkinging going from 25 Lb. wheels to 18 Lb. wheels, that is SIGNIFICANT unsprung weight. Another thing about Big Reds, with their bigger pad surface area, they will resist fading for longer than the stock calipers..down side, pads and rotors cost more.

Turbo S Spoiler - Looks aggressive, but adds drag and does not look as stock.
How do you know it adds drag? It for certain reduces lift, a good thing, and it may even produce some down force. Nobody can seem to document this.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about those mods we regret: