Sponsored by:

Recommended tire for 993

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But the cookies stay soft even in cold weather.
What size were the BFGoodriches that were $115?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:33 PM
tbil
Racer

Replaced the Pilot Sports on my car with the Goodrich G Force from Tire Rack about 6 months ago. Can't tell the difference in performance on the street, maybe a little less noise, tread wear looks to be dramatically better, wallet is a good bit fatter. Seems like a good option so far.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90
I checked the tire rack price on the tires Damon recommends - the Bridgestones are $50 cheaper for the tire size I need versus the PS2. Does anyone feel that the Bridgestones are a "step down" in quality? I dont think they are N rated but I could be wrong...
RE050A PPs are just as good as the PS2s and vice versa.

I like that the BSs are Made in Japan. PS2s Made in France.

PS2s are overpriced now that the RE050A PPs are out.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:01 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

RE050A PPs are just as good as the PS2s and vice versa.
"just as good" depends on your priorities. The Bridgestones are heavier and a bit stiffer. They have more road noise as they wear. The PS2s weigh less and are more comfy and quieter. They both stick about the same.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:44 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Amfab
But the cookies stay soft even in cold weather.
What size were the BFGoodriches that were $115?
255 40 r17

Unfortunately, I cant compare the BFGs to PS2 or RE050. It probably is a step down in performance, but just dont know. Comparing the wear rating, the tire is a 330 where the PS2 or RE050 is just a step above R-compound tires. On the 993, Im going about 2-2.5 years(13k miles) out of the rears with 300 tread wear. I could just imagine that PS2s would be half that. But then again, that probably is seconds in an AX! Make sure you understand your priorities before plunking down the cash or complaining about the car eating tires!
Old 07-12-2007, 06:55 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is another vote for CONTINENTAL SportContact 2 tires

225/40 18 Front
285/30 18 Rear
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the last 2 months I have had Yoko AVSs, Sumitomo HRIIs, and Bridgestone Pole Position SO2s on the car. Yokos were pretty good, Sumis are pretty good, the SO2s are probably best performing out of the bunch. The car seems much more nimble on the Bridgestones, and stickier. The Sumis seem a little sluggish and the car feels heavier. But - I am on the LA freeways a lot and the Sumis tend to not get knocked around so much and the car tracks straighter and they absorb the little rattley vibrations better than the Bridgestones. Up in the hills though the Bridgestones are much more lively and the car feels lighter on its feet. The Yokos fell somewhere in between.
The Sumis though, 4 tires mounted and balanced for $385?! Crazy cheap for the performance.
I've been looking at the Sumitomos on TireRack (Damon, call incoming). Have difficulty believing any tire is going to make up the 100% markup delta between the Sumitomo/Kumho and everything else. The price difference is jawdropping.

Someone give me a reason to cut a bigger check. I don't see a reason unless the Sumitomos have a 5% chance of bursting into flames while trolling around LA at 50 mph.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 PM
quasr
Racer

Default 993 Tires

I put a set of Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position tires on my 993 and am very happy. They were the top rated tire in a survey I found a few months back. Very sticky tires. About $900.00 for the set
Old 07-12-2007, 11:21 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires like the Kumho Ecsta MXs might be cheap but it sure is a pain in the *** to have your car in for tire replacement all the time if you use it as a DD. I just got 8K miles out of the rear pair. They got stickier as I wore off the tread blocks but I had a couple of downright scary drives home when I burned through most of the tread...

A couple of folks gave me good reviews here on Bridgestone Potenza RE750s so I recently got all four. They feel great on the road and are quiet. Haven't pushed them in the rain yet. They're supposed to have something to keep them from getting loud as they wear. If the reviews were correct I can expect 20K miles out of the back pair. Only $770 installed at a Firestone so I don't think that's such a bad deal.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:49 AM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I committed heresy in the minds of some. For street tires on my 993 C2, I went with stock sizes, and with BFGoodrich G-Force. Why?

I wanted the highest performance tire with the lowest road noise, and I wanted a good ride as well. I went to Tire Rack for their Porsche 993 available tire summary. I was looking for tires in stock sizes for the best possible ride. I don't need monster tires for cruising the streets...205s in the front and 255s in the rear.

I got what I paid for and more. Not only were the BFGoodrich G-Force quiet as specified on Tire Rack, they were very inexpensive, around $500 a set as I recall. This was last year...don't know current prices, ask Damon at Tire Rack! In addition the noise was very low as delineated on Tire Rack and the ride greatly improved. Let's see now, if I can get sets of tires for the price of one spendy set...I will go for 2 every time. Most drivers won't know the difference on the street, I suspect, IMHO, of course!
Martin,
I run the BFG g-force on the street also, inexpensive, quiet and great grip wet or dry for around $500.00 can't be beat by anyone.....but I do admit to having a second set of wheels and I run Khumo Victoracers on the track.

ZP44
Old 07-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Randy if you are in the LA area (im in the west valley) and want to check them out, I have the Sumis mounted and balanced on a set of 17in targa wheels - you are welcome to come by pop em on your car and test drive em. But they are on Targa wheels so they may feel even heavier than yours do - Im going to put them on my new wheels soon.
The reason I ended up having the opportunity to try all these tires in such a short time is my Yokos wore out, I bough the Sumis, then bought a set of wheels that had the Bridgestones on them a couple weeks later- I just havent had the time yet to put the Sumis on the new wheels yet.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Are Sumis Made in China?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Randy if you are in the LA area (im in the west valley) and want to check them out, I have the Sumis mounted and balanced on a set of 17in targa wheels - you are welcome to come by pop em on your car and test drive em. But they are on Targa wheels so they may feel even heavier than yours do - Im going to put them on my new wheels soon.
The reason I ended up having the opportunity to try all these tires in such a short time is my Yokos wore out, I bough the Sumis, then bought a set of wheels that had the Bridgestones on them a couple weeks later- I just havent had the time yet to put the Sumis on the new wheels yet.
Wonderfully generous of you, Andrew.

My basic curiousity lies in whether the Sumis are half as good as a competing Z-rated tire. Obviously, that's overtly simplistic: performance is logarithmically related to price, but you get my drift.

In other words, for casual and infrequent drives around LA, am I throwing money away by shodding my ride with more expensive rubber? In the 90% of drives around town, will I notice (NVH issues? Dramatic handling differences?).

Thanks, guys. Also would be fascinated to hear from folks who've compared the Sumitomos against the Kumho Ecsta SPT.

Per Tire Rack, the Sumitomo can be had in 285/30-18, the Ecsta SPT in 295/30-18, both for under $190 per shoe.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:14 PM
veloce10
Intermediate

I have a '98 C2 narrow body with 225/40x18 and 265/35x18 on turbo twist wheels which I don't know the widths of. Without removing the wheels is there a way to determine their widths? Has anyone tried the Yoko, Advan Sports and if so how do they compare with the PS2's or RE 050A's?
Thanks, Patrick.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:52 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to muck up the mix (especially as a prior owner!), but I was very happy with my Toyo Proxes T1R's. I did one autocross and one track day on these and was very impressed with their performance, but the thing I liked most was how compliant and quiet the ride was for daily driving.

If I had not sold my car, I would've easily replaced the tires with the same, especially at less than $200 per.

As a side note, my M5 has Pilot Sports and they're great too.

Quick Reply: Recommended tire for 993