Gay? or Cool?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:09 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
So does condescension.
It's an expression, get over it. BTW, when did homosexuality become a race?

Thanks to everyone for the opinions!
Gays = Humans = Race . I am offended I will express my oppinion .What other word you want me to use BIGOT !!! why not these expression ? ****** ? or Cool ? , Polac ? or Cool ?why not Jew ? or Cool ?
a bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles .
So please should some tolerance and I will do the same .

Cheers Guy
Old 07-04-2007, 01:14 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I grew up in the '70s and '80s, and right or wrong, my peers and I universally interchanged "gay" with "lame," which I believe recently has much more popular and PC use. Even then, it never meant literally "something a gay person would do/say/think."

The reality is that gay men tend to overindex on ownership of high-end everything, cars included, and at risk of perpetuating another sterotype, those I've known generally have much better taste than my straight friends. Net-net: in reality, none would ever rock the rainbow Carrera sticker (although that was very clever!) The reality is, they're just as likely to own a TT or GT-3 as the rest of us. Remember, they're still guys!

I'll have to check with my gay friends to see if they ever say "gay" meaning "lame." If it is still deemed offensive, the more recent "ghey" doesn't soften anything a bit.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:14 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use Mutt because I am one. A little Dutch, lots of Norweigan, and some German.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Old 07-04-2007, 01:40 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by briefescape
Gays = Humans = Race . I am offended I will express my oppinion .What other word you want me to use BIGOT !!! why not these expression ? ****** ? or Cool ? , Polac ? or Cool ?why not Jew ? or Cool ?

Cheers Guy

Remind me to keep my kids out of public schools.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:13 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, boy....some people here are being as touchy as 996 owners!

I admit that I would have been upset if it was racist jargon being used but its wasn't and it was funny at the expense of others.

I also equate "gay" as "lame" but whattever...I apologize for him. Lets move on shall we?
Old 07-04-2007, 04:22 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Definitely not "Gay" but it should be the last thing to do on a project. But that's me.

Its too High..... All around. Just my .02

Script should be 1inch from the bottom of the door. If it were me, I would have gone with the later Carrera script style, it just makes it more of an updated look, again that's me. I would of lowered the car first and go with 18" wheels and then decide what color script to go with. But yet again that's me.

White is a perfect canvas to have. That's one thing you got, you can go with any color you want. With Arena Red there isn't much to choose from, Silver or Black is about the only colors you can use.
Attached Images   

Last edited by CAHRERA; 07-06-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:09 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you AC993C2S for drawing attention to the 2 types of script. I am looking to put the script on my Carrera so this is most timely. Thanks to Scott for putting the modern script on his car - it looks great at the height it is placed on his car and because the color matches the wheels. The matching as others have pointed out is key.

A pity that "gay" was used to ask the question. IMHO if I know a word can cause offence in a particular context to a particular group of people I will try not to use it regardless of the fact my intention was not to offend. If you are not of a group discriminated against, it is easy not to appreciate the hurt that a term can cause.

Back to the script, the question for me is whether it is too outlandish, boy racer, over the top etc. And IMHO it is, but with the right wheels it looks great if you want something a bit more aggressive. I love it that way and I know that with the exception of one friend everyone else I know will hate it. Since one of the worst insults for me would be that I am average, it is all the more reason to slap the script on. Life is too short to get hung up about words, but I can see the offence. And it is too short for me not to enjoy the outlandish every now and again.

All the best,
Old 07-04-2007, 08:41 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
Remind me to keep my kids out of public schools.
You will find this crap in all the schools these days. Just because the parents have money doesn't make their kids immune from all sorts of bizarre actions.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:45 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I am used to seeing this on older cars not 993s , I see the 993 as a more modern car and think that script belongs on the older car ...
.02 ...
Old 07-04-2007, 10:25 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
You will find this crap in all the schools these days. Just because the parents have money doesn't make their kids immune from all sorts of bizarre actions.
Agreed, but maybe with some sort of voucher system, parents could find schools that spend a little more time on English lessons and little less time on PC lessons.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:44 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers Guy
Interesting definition of "race" ...
the logic doesn't track.
If so, I could say woman=humans=race, right? No, wrong. "Woman" refers to gender.
And simply throwing out other offensive language doesn't really help your cause IMHO.

Be offended... but keep in mind that words can have multiple meanings in this crazy English language. Some are slang. As is "gay" in this context. Context matters.

Back to the topic of the thread: Funny, I would not have thought CAHRERA's script was the same height. It looks right on his... guess previous post is right, ride height sure makes a big difference.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:53 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gays = Humans = Race .
Not according to Merriam-Webster or dictionary.com

Maybe when he asked gay or cool,
he just meant to asked if it was "showy" or "fine"

Humans of the any race can choose to be gay.

But you can't choose to be in any race.

Unless the race is a contest.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Cheers Guy
Sorry, Guy, but homosexuality, is, by most published definitions, not considered a race. Homosexuality, while a unique characteristic of some people who are, yes, of course, humans and, thus, part of the human race, is not a matter of racial inequality or racism.

From the American Heritage Dictionary:
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

From the American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition:
The belief that some races are inherently superior (physically, intellectually, or culturally) to others and therefore have a right to dominate them.

IMHO, though, your use and definition of the word bigot is spot on.

From Dictionary.com:
Stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 07-04-2007 at 11:37 AM. Reason: replaced f with an r
Old 07-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Interesting definition of "race" ...
the logic doesn't track.
If so, I could say woman=humans=race, right? No, wrong. "Woman" refers to gender.
And simply throwing out other offensive language doesn't really help your cause IMHO.

Be offended... but keep in mind that words can have multiple meanings in this crazy English language. Some are slang. As is "gay" in this context. Context matters.

Back to the topic of the thread: Funny, I would not have thought CAHRERA's script was the same height. It looks right on his... guess previous post is right, ride height sure makes a big difference.
congrats Mark on a well-written, well-argued point-of-view.

Quick Reply: Gay? or Cool?