Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

figured out my clutch problem - a must read for those who removed their breather tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 03:26 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default figured out my clutch problem - a must read for those who removed their breather tube

well i figured out what happened to my clutch....

i removed the breather tube into the tranny casing. It was extra weight afterall and i've read how several people here removed the tube as well.

In my case a rock or something got into the tranny casing through the breather tube, after which it proceeded to make clutch salad. it froze the pressure plate, took of some of the fins of the tranny, damaged the bolts and just created an overall mess.

i now fixed my problem by adding an aluminum mesh screen on that hole!

What bad luck. I know it's never happened to anyone else and lightning never strikes twice in the same spot. Well i thought i'd share my experience in case anyone else wants to avoid an unnecessary expensive failure.

SIGH....

Boris
Old 06-30-2007, 05:30 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Boris Teksler
i now fixed my problem by adding an aluminum mesh screen on that hole!
The 993 transmission bell-housing is partially sealed and that breather tube is actually meant to help cool the clutch disc. You should consider reinstalling it!
Old 06-30-2007, 05:34 AM
irisblue
AutoX

I agree refit the cooling tube and it really doesnt weigh that much compared to some other stuff...
Old 06-30-2007, 08:43 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Boris,
What a mess! Are you refering to the short plastic tube or the clutch vent setup that leads to the airbox?

Andreas
Old 06-30-2007, 09:12 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The 993 transmission bell-housing is partially sealed and that breather tube is actually meant to help cool the clutch disc. You should consider reinstalling it!
I thought its task was to pull clutch disk dust from the bell housing via the suction of the intake ai rbox? Something that makes no sense to me.....why you would want to infuse the possibility of foreign matter into the air box.....
I removed mine long ago and even after track events have had to issues.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:45 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yes i'm refering to the tube that goes up to tube that connects into the air intake.

My understanding was the same as Chris' in that it is suppose to carry out clutch dust and not really be a venting source. But i also gathered this information from the board - so i'm not knowledgable on this.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:03 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
I thought its task was to pull clutch disk dust from the bell housing via the suction of the intake ai rbox? Something that makes no sense to me.....why you would want to infuse the possibility of foreign matter into the air box.....
I removed mine long ago and even after track events have had to issues.
While I agree in theory that you'd obviously want the cleanest air possible entering the airbox, isn't the filter's job to filter out foreign particles entering the intake??? Is the sucking of the dust so important that you'd want to have dust flying into the airbox??? I've always wondered how much good that whole system of vacuuming dust out of the trans did. On a side note, is the breather tube's main job to evacuate clutch dust or to cool the clutch off???
Old 06-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I thought the reason the tube went into the air filter was to reduce dust emissions because that filter sure seems to get dirty from the clutch.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:06 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

If you go back to the original launch material, "Impeller blades inside the pressure plate draw fresh air in; the hot air exits through exhaust stubs in the bell housing into the engine air filter, with engine vacuum assisting." The original Service Techniks for the 993 (I don't have them) might/should give a better description of the cooling effect.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:36 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
If you go back to the original launch material, "Impeller blades inside the pressure plate draw fresh air in; the hot air exits through exhaust stubs in the bell housing into the engine air filter, with engine vacuum assisting." The original Service Techniks for the 993 (I don't have them) might/should give a better description of the cooling effect.
Makes you wonder who in their right mind would want to introduce hot, dirty air into the intake tract - even if it is filtered.

I removed mine a long time ago and (knock on wood) have never experienced any issue. Think I'll take my chances......
Old 07-01-2007, 02:45 AM
scat
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I thought the reason the tube went into the air filter was to reduce dust emissions because that filter sure seems to get dirty from the clutch.
Dust emissions from clutch are not mandated by the feds ,so I agree with Jason the tube it was made there to cool the clutch .
Very smart idea,just change the air filter as recommended by Porsche.

Quick Reply: figured out my clutch problem - a must read for those who removed their breather tube