993 Forum 1995-1998

993 to maserati gransport...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 993 to maserati gransport...

has anyone here owned both? i'd like to get a gransport to replace the 911. i already have a car to play with at the track, so there is no need for the daily driver to do double duty-- a need my 911 has met exceptionally well. but now i would prefer back seats and just a bit more comfort- not fall asleep comfort- but something 'else'. i hate to compare the machines straight-up. i don't feel they are similar enough. however, i hear the maser is quite good and the gransport is supposed to be '993-like' in terms of driving enjoyment (good sound, stiff ride, appropriate acceleration).

anyone have an opinion.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:30 PM
creator8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd do it in a heartbeat especially if you have a track car. Personally I love the Gransport. Probably one of the few now semi-affordable cars (at least used) out there that you get the same and actually much better bespoke quality with the interior. Big fan. Dark grey with burgundy leather would be my pick.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gorgeous car!!

Damien
Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,

You are a Chicago native. So you need a car that can do everything. Maserati is cute and kind of unique but do your senses and pocket book and buy a BMW e46 M3, e39 M5 for a start. The Maserati will loose its appeal quicker than even its value, forget service costs. My 2 cents. Good luck mate.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:09 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Luis (RONK) had a Maserati. Sent him a PM
Old 06-27-2007, 01:39 AM
RS 197
Pro

Maserati= Junk.... Better off with a Merc or BMW. 750, My wife loves hers, It hauls ***, great ride, 4 years worth of service. Safe and looks better. Great value on the used market.

There is a reason they are affordable. Junk......If you want a fancy name on the back of your car get a personalized license plate.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:16 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by RS 197
Maserati= Junk
I agree if you're referring to Maserati before it was owned by Ferrari. Post 2005, Maseratis are essentially Ferraris with a different badge and I wouldn't exactly refer to them as junk.

I did own a 2005 Maserati GranSport. Stunning and unique looking car with awesome power. It's essentially a modern day muscle car. Incredible torque and the Skyhawk suspension provides for a unique experience when taking big sweeps at speed. You feel every single G. The note of the exhaust is orgasmic.

Nevertheless, the car did loose my interest by the third month of ownership. Six months after I bought it, I bought my now-gone 993 cab strictly as an open car for summer driving. I enjoyed my 993 so much, that it became the death nail on the GranSport. The GranSport was gone nine months after I bought it.

Here's why I sold it: The car only comes with the F1 box. To me, paddle shifters are nothing but gimmick, and yes, I do realize there is a huge advantage in shifting, trust me this thing shifts very fast. However, at the end of the day, you're still driving an automatic and it takes all the fun out of it for me. The car is also very much a GT. It feels big and heavy with poor visibility and turning radius. Big difference from your snappy 993s. The clutch went on mine after six months and luckily it was a recall that was fixed under warranty. I would've been pissed having to pay $8k for it out of pocket six months after I bought it. The oil change was around $700 IIRC.

At the end of the day, Maseratis, like all Italians, are like supermodels: every man wants one but when you get one, you quickly realize they're just high maintenance women prone to give one a headache and they quickly loose their sizzle.

This is just MO. I know others who've had Ferrari's and now strictly own Porsches so I'm not the only one of this opinion but clearly, there are others who swear by them. Then again, if you're jonesing for the Italian thing, get it out of your system.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:39 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think «junk» is a little too much, but I agree Maserati don't even come close to Porsche engineering. And if you think that is a Ferrari with a different badge... And in the future if you need a spare part...hahaha
Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 AM
billhart
Instructor

The new Maseratis have a great motor, but I'm not sure how satisfying the car will be in the long run. I think that the investment for Ferrari in a revived Maserati marque was probably a huge, costly mistake.
I drove an early iteration of the open car for a week along the PCH (around Big Sur, where the road is at its best). The car was quite heavy~ the chassis flex on the open car (which has now been rectified) was suprising. The interior is elegant but somewhat cramped, and the car, to me, never had that 'wired in' feel that is the reason for Italian sportscars. Granted, the GranSport is different, but I suspect not that different in some respects.
I have owned many of the more modern production Ferraris and a few Porsches and like both. If you want the thrill of an Italian drive, with comfort, try a 550 Maranello, which is a little long in the tooth, but a fabulous driver's car. (It too is a big lug, heavy, but it drives like a much smaller car and to me, is more of a realization of what you are describing than the Maser). Among the 'baby' Ferraris, the 355 has a far more enthusiastic owner's group than the 360, generally, based less on outright performance and more on aesthetics, sound, and overall driving experience (at least in the open car form).
Frankly, my experience with Ferraris has generally been quite positive, notwithstanding the high price of parts, and the cars have been pretty reliable, but not without their quirks. Then again, when I bought used, I had cars that were well fettled, and not at the 'bargain' end of the price spectrum, which will, I guarantee, prove to be no bargain at all.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

While not a Maserati, I traded my 997S for a M5. I needed more space and the 911 was tough for every day duties with a family. Well, like ROKN, I lost interest quickly. The 500hp was unusuable for urban living and the car had no soul. 6 months later I traded again, 1 for 2. M5 for a Cayenne S Tit for daily and a 993 cab for fun. Couldn't be happier.

When I got the M5, everyone told me I would be back to the pcar soon. They were right.

Just my thoughts. But I do love the Maserati and it is high on my wish list. But like the M5's SMG, I think there is limited resale because most buyers want a true automatic and not a F1.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:52 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

My collegue at work has a dark grey one, recaro leather, etc.
bought new jan 2006 = 129k euros (full option) ,
he did 8000 kilometers already, (5000mi)
he wants to sell, best offer he got is 78k euros. Maser is paying 67k.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Francisco Martinez
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with ROKN about getting the Italian out of your system. It happened to my father long time ago (probably will happen to me), he has always been a Porsche guy but the Italian thing got him and he purchased a Ferrari 308, had it for 4 years (6 months of enjoyment, 6 months at the shop, 3 years trying to sell it). I don't think he will ever look back.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Francisco Martinez
he purchased a Ferrari 308, had it for 4 years (6 months of enjoyment, 6 months at the shop, 3 years trying to sell it).
very amusing. well said.

thanks for the replies. i figured this to be a good place to start. porsche folks have strong opinions of sports cars in general. actually, i'm surprised to hear anyone here say anything BUT bad things about maseratis.

thanks again. i think a proper test drive will go a long way to sorting out this infatuation.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two friends that have previously owned the Maserati Coupe ... and both have wished that they had not. Lot's of issues with both.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:25 PM
creator8
Instructor

If you want something slightly more practical try the new Audi S6 V10. Just spent a week in one. Has a raw quality to it that will remind you of PCars. The V10 is awesome and the combination of all the mod cons (nav/ipod intergration etc), performance, feel, luxury and practicality is perfect. And apart from the V10 badge on the side its a total sleeper if you like that sort of thing. 80-120 is pretty impressive. And it hustles down a canyon road too.

Quick Reply: 993 to maserati gransport...