Leaking power steering fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:01 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Leaking power steering fluid?

I was at a DE event and, coming in from a medium-speed run with a student, was told that 'there was smoke coming out of the right rear wheel well and the engine lid grill.'
Hmm - tire rubbing? No
Oil overfill? Nope
Appeared to be power steering fluid; so, I wiped it up and cleaned up as best I could, then checked the fluid level: EMPTY (note: I had never checked it in the year I have owned this car, so I didn't know its level before the leak, but it wasn't enough leak to cause a full resevoir to empty, and previous track days had not revealed any leaks).
I refilled the resevoir and put a clean paper towel under the resevoir and hose, and drove around the paddock briefly. Steering felt normal, no fluid on the paper towel.
I took the car back out for some hot laps and there was no sign of any leakage.
So - it seems odd that filling the resevoir would cure a leak.
Any suggestions as to why I had this leak and have not seen it since? I ran 2 more sessions and there was no leakage.
TIA
Old 06-22-2007, 12:52 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you find out where it leaked from? It could be as simple as the reservoir hose, or it could be a leaking steering rack. Either way, it's highly unlikely that it cured itself. So watch closely for leaks. If you're unsure, take a look underneath and remove the front undertray to see if the rack is leaking.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:33 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Did you find out where it leaked from? It could be as simple as the reservoir hose, or it could be a leaking steering rack. Either way, it's highly unlikely that it cured itself. So watch closely for leaks. If you're unsure, take a look underneath and remove the front undertray to see if the rack is leaking.
Hi Eric
I too am suspicious of the resevoir hose.
The leak is resulting in fluid around the resevoir base, dripping down onto the heat exchanger, so could be from the base of the hose or the resevoir itself.
I don't think it is the steering rack, thankfully.
I am also suspicious, though disappointed, that it is unlikely to cure itself. Self healing cars would be great.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:08 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

OK, guys - I need some more ideas here.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Rick:

Here is what I would do:

1) Thoroughly clean the outside of the reserviour, pump, and lines with brake cleaner.

2) Put the car on a lift or high up on jackstands.

3) Start the engine and have someone turn the steering wheel from lock to lock several times while you observe the pump and lines for leaks. The PS pressures reach peak (over 2K psi) when the wheel is near or at full lock and that makes the pump work hard. If anything is leaking, thats when you will see it.

Please let me know what you find.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:32 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Steve
Thanks for your help; you are very generous with your knowledge and it has been a big help to me.
I tried your suggestions and am not seeing any leakage; fluid level appears to be full. No fluid drips on a clean paper towel I placed under the resevoir and hose.
I know these things don't fix themselves, but for now, I can''t replicate the leak. It revealed itself via the smoke at the end of a DE run group (not Red; I was showing a student the track and heat cycling a new set of Hoosiers, but we were at speed at the end).
Weird
Old 06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you removed the undertray at the steering rack? I'd take a look to see if there's fluid on it. Hopefully not (fingers crossed).
Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Eric
Thanks for the thought; the leakage is at the resevoir area, dripping down onto the heat exchangers.
No sign of any leakage in the front of the car, but I admit to never having removed that tray. No drips up there, though.
The hunt continues.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:58 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Just a thought.
The fluid level was probably very low from normal seepage over time.
You may have introduced some air into the system on the track, that and high fluid temperature(from the low fluid level) could have caused your problem.

Make sure you bleed the pwr steering system--Run the engine turn the wheel back and forth numerous times and top off the fluid.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:58 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by flatsics
Just a thought.
The fluid level was probably very low from normal seepage over time.
You may have introduced some air into the system on the track, that and high fluid temperature(from the low fluid level) could have caused your problem.

Make sure you bleed the pwr steering system--Run the engine turn the wheel back and forth numerous times and top off the fluid.
Hi Doug
Interesting idea; I have been wondering about why this leak came on, not (so far) to be seen again.
Thanks also for the bleeding reminder.

Quick Reply: Leaking power steering fluid?