Sponsored by:

'98 GR C2S at Dawydiak

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:16 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 GR C2S at Dawydiak

I am taking a close look at the 1998 GR C2S at Cars Dawydiak in San Francisco (sorry, not enough posts to attach the proper link).

The car has 31K miles and according to the dealer, the car is in ‘good mechanical shape’ but otherwise, they don't know a whole lot about the car except for it is a 3 owner car first sold in Plano, TX -- it was brought to California in April 2004 and the current owner has a private mechanic who worked on the car. Dealer says that it is his understanding that all maintenance was done, but they have no paper proof of this.

The car is not lowered and is totally stock. Options include 159 Motor Sound package; 454 Cruise Control; 490 Hi-Fi sound system; 650 Sunroof; 688 Radio CD CDR210; CO2 Catalytic Converter; and XX1 Embroidered Floor Mats.

Car is being sold on consignment with an asking price of $57.9K and a note in the ad that says 'call for updated pricing'. Dealer has not performed a PPI but says they hope to within the next couple of days. I have a friend in SF who can check out the car in person.

The car will be driven year-round in Toronto, Canada, but no weekday commute. I am not looking for a ‘collector car / garage queen’ by any means, but this ’98 LOOKS like it’s in good shape, which is what piqued my interest.

I would appreciate any feedback regarding pricing or other issues you think might factor in the purchase of this car.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:14 PM
M491
Racer

Here's some of the pics

Kinda tough to say much, though, there is not a lot of info given.

How does the Carfax look?

No records at all? I never understand that. The current owner has a mechanic who works on the car, yet the owner just tosses the service records/receipts in the trash? The shop doesn't maintain any records? Hmm.

That asking price seems high to me for a car with absolutely no history at all, not one service record or anything. If I pay top dollar, I like to have those things.

But the price for this particular car can be anywhere, you need more info. If it has been in 3 flaming wrecks and rebuilt, that's one thing, if it checks out as being all original paint, all original everything, compression/leakdown excellent, etc. etc. etc. that would be another.

Whatever you do, don't rely on the seller's PPI. Get your own done, by an independent shop that you pay. Have them carefully look at the body for any paintwork and any other signs of accident damage.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Crikey, that's a pretty lofty price for a car with half the miles, perfect PPI and an FSH.
Hope there's a lot of cushion for negotiating in there. But it does LOOK nice...
Old 06-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say $50K with a clean PPI and no cosmetic issues...
Old 06-20-2007, 06:30 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Thanks for posting the pics and the input re: price.

I haven't checked out the Carfax yet, but I would absolutely have an independent PPI done before closing a deal.

I will make some inquiries to the dealer re: current service records -- the current owner must have some records!!

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:47 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

The CarFax is clean and indicates three owners and 2 services (7.7K miles and 19.1K miles).

The dealer says the current owner works for a Porsche dealership and had the maintenance done by one of the technicians there in his spare time. He noted that this is not uncommon in this business since it's more lucrative for the people involved. The current owner says the 30K service was done, and is trying to put together a list of the parts that were used, otherwise there is no documentation of the service history.

Dealer is in the process of PPI'ing the car and will send me the report. I indicated a range of 'high $40s to low $50s' depending on the service history and results of an independent PPI -- dealer said don't bother with a PPI unless the price is in the low to mid $50s.

After I see his PPI report, I'm thinking I will email him and offer him $50 - $52 less any repair costs identified in an independent PPI.

Sound like a decent strategy?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default If you want this Porsche

You likely need to be at $52,000 or slightly north of $52,000......nice looking low option example......Remember a lot of folks are reading the info you have posted......I would lock it up subject to PPI, if this is the one for you
Old 06-20-2007, 10:12 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes...I agree....I just made them an offer of 53K....totally kidding. this might be a 54 or 55K car. Super clean...at least in the pix. GR too...haven't seen so many of those in 98's.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:14 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Berkley
You likely need to be at $52,000 or slightly north of $52,000......nice looking low option example......Remember a lot of folks are reading the info you have posted......I would lock it up subject to PPI, if this is the one for you
Thanks for the input. I figure it is better to be transparent with the community that seems to know the most about these cars. Throughout my search I have found it a bit frustrating as to how guarded a lot of people are regarding their search/selling process/price. I guess the market for 993s just isnt too liquid!

It's also tough when advertised prices can be negotiated significantly, but it's hard to make a serious offer until a (costly) PPI is performed. I'm more than happy to pay $50K for a great car that i love, but i wont pay +$55 for one. Any leads are appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:25 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

while searching is somewhat frustrating at times....don't let 1 or 2K stop you from getting a car you have been seeking for a long period of time. The extra seat time is worth the lil bit of extra moola. And, 993's don't really lose their value.....right?

J
Old 06-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

It sure looks nice. I'd want records though wherever possible. It's too bad there aren't a whole host of documented records on this baby, but I understand the circumstances. If you LOVE the color and it's your #1 choice, offer your $50k-52k and see what happens. IS this your #1 color combo? If not, I'd pass in a heartbeat.

Good luck,
Steve R
Old 06-21-2007, 01:11 AM
BlkC4S
Instructor

I sold my old C4S through Dawydiak. They definitely have high asking prices. Almost all of their cars are on consignment so it depends some on how motivated the owner is to sell.

Personally I'd consider a turbo for $10K more or so.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought my car from them in March. Mine was sold for an appropriate price (to me.) The in house PPI missed a couple of small items that were easily worked out with Dawydiak. I haven't seen any cars there that I would be the least bit concerned about buying. They seem to pick them well, and price them accordingly. I would strike while the car you want is there. In a couple of years, you won't remember what you paid.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:10 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's good you are willing to spend $50K+, as it's probable that
it will sell around there given the 31K miles. It's going to be
the person for whom this car is their first choice (guards red, etc)
that will pay north of $55K.
If this person is you, then a few grand over your limit will be soon
forgotten once you take ownership of the car you really want.

Toronto winter salt is going to be unkind.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:13 PM
mikestash
Racer

Ok, even though I haven't met walter(the owner), my college room mate worked for him for a while as a salesperson plus is still good friends with him. I have talked with Walter many times via email and phone - he seems to be a very upstanding guy and completely upfront in how he runs his business. He gave me great advice when looking for a car. He is trustworthy and a very nice individual and if I could afford it, I would buy a car from him in a heartbeat. Another one of our group of buddies has bought 3 cars from him (p-cars and one ferrari) with no issues. If you were going to buy a car from used dealer, this is the guy to go with. He is NOT like our houston friend.

Quick Reply: '98 GR C2S at Dawydiak