Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 GR C2S at Dawydiak

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:47 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone on this board gone over to look at the car for you?
Old 06-25-2007, 02:01 AM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the input regarding the car and the seller.

I have a friend in SF who may be able to check out the car in person, but he lacks both a car and any real knowledge of the 993. I would be grateful to any local SF rennlister who could take a look at the car in person and provide an opinion regarding its (cosmetic) condition. Apparently the car is in the process of being PPI'd, so I'm not sure if it's in the showroom at the moment. Hoping to hear more on Monday.

Does anyone have an opinon re: lightly driving a 30K mile C2s in the winter/salt. The car would likely not see much, if any, snow (no commute), but I wouldn't want to limit the car to the sunny days (I have a convertible for that!). I'm sure some snow/salt will hurt resale value, but I'm hoping it wont put too much of a dent in the car's actual life. I'm not particularly concerned about resale value.

thanks for the input!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll be in SF on Wednesday. I'll go buy if I can and check it out for you, if my copilot doesn't mind.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:26 AM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Brief update on the car --

Dealer PPI turned up a small oil drip and some type of paint problem - the car hasn’t been repainted, but there is something in the clear coat on the fenders and roof that cannot be buffed out, possibly some type of chemical fall-out.

Are there issues with repainting a 993?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Not much, other than it won't be worth $57.9K with paintwork.

Have they tried a clay bar?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:49 PM
allill
Drifting

If you're not worried about resale as you stated, paintowork shouldn't be a problem. Is the car back in the showroom?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:03 PM
BlkC4S
Instructor

Dawydiak's other half of the business is Porsche body shop work so they should easily be able to evaluate this for you. (You'd also have to assume they knew about it.)

Hopefully they can clean it up without any paint. If it requires paintwork, then it definitely changes the current and future value. It's certainly no longer a $57K car.

Even if you aren't concerned about resale value now, things change. There's many "I was never going to sell this" cars on sale all the time on Rennlist.

Personally I'd still advise you that you're very close to turbo money. I'd also tell you that a 98 CarreraS is a great collector's car, but an equivalent 95 C2 is probably $20K less for 99% the same car.

Originally Posted by mr_fizz
Brief update on the car --

Dealer PPI turned up a small oil drip and some type of paint problem - the car hasn’t been repainted, but there is something in the clear coat on the fenders and roof that cannot be buffed out, possibly some type of chemical fall-out.

Are there issues with repainting a 993?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:24 PM
allill
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlkC4S
.... Personally I'd still advise you that you're very close to turbo money....

I would have to say that you are in turbo territory with that price and if it were me, I would go for the one with the two blowers.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:32 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I looked over the car today. I looks really nice except for the paint problem. If I had to guess I'd bet that the current theory there in the shop was correct: There was some contaminant in the paint process on the horizontal surfaces of the car. When you look at it up close, there are bubbles under the clearcoat. They cannot be felt by your hand when you run it over the paint. It is very strange, and I've never seen anything like it.
If the car was adjusted pricewise, I'd live with it,and the car would be a 5 footer....
In all other regards, the car is a 10+
Old 06-28-2007, 03:50 AM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Thanks for all of the input. Falcon -- thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and see the car and report back to us (me). You guys really are invaluable, kudos.

Depending on the magnitude of the price adjustment I would probably prefer to have the paint issues corrected if there is a reasonable solution. It sounds like Dawydiak is particularly well qualified to deal with the paint issue and hopefully they get things in order. I wouldnt be opposed to taking the car 'as-is', but it sounds like everything else looks great, so it would be nice to have the exterior 10+ as well, even if it's not 100% original.

Regarding the 'turbo money' comments, I'm a bit confused -- I haven't seen any Turbos listed for under $60K, and certainly not anywhere near the $60K range with 30K - 50K miles (which is what I'm looking for). Also, the asking price is $57.9K on this car (at least prior to discovering the paint problem - price has been withdrawn from site now), but I believe there is room for negotiation, so at the end of the day it's really in a different price range than the turbos. It's all moot though since I dont want a turbo, regardless of the price -- I prefer the NA cars (jmo). I understand that some ppl really covet the turbo as the ultimate 993, but it's just not for me.

And as much as i'm not interested in the turbo, i am commited to an S car. I understand the logical argument for a non-S car re: performance, etc., but i really prefer the front bumper on the S car. the wide-body actually doesn't matter too much to me. If there is an easy front bumper conversion for the non-S car i would probably consider any MY non-S car -- I haven't done any research into this bumper conversion yet, but if I'm being foolish please chime in.

Regarding resale value, it's not that I dont anticipate selling the car at some point, rather it's that I dont expect to resell the car for a price that is close to what I paid. I'm comfortable with the notion that a 10 year old car may lose 5% - 10% in value per year (and hopefully reach a floor at some point). It's great that several buyers haven't had to take a hit, but i'm not getting into the game with that expectation. i just want to enjoy the car...depreciation be damned.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:31 PM
umfan866
Racer

Mr Fizz

I think you've fallen in love with this car, but I don't think its the car for you. If the car needs a repaint and doesn't have complete/good records, why pay 50k or more for it? Especially when there are other cars from forum members that are pristine and fully documented ? A quick example (I haven't read the whole thread):

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=sale

I like the pics I see from Cars Dwydak they always have beautiful looking cars, but I have never actually gone there because their cars are consistently at least 10k overpriced in my experience, at least the sticker price (I have no clue about actual sales). Personally I am looking to buy a Porsche privately from someone who just wants theirs to go to a good home.

If you are really sold on red, there was a nice C4S 97 with a brand new rebuild for 47 k or so - google for Burlingame European, and call Bart Hood and ask what happened to that car. Then offer the guy 40k straight. iF you need me to test drive it for you i am happy--Burlingame is 5 min away from my house.

Also I wouldnt take a super-expensive mint car and drive it year round (in salt ) in Toronto..(being from Waterloo myself)

Quick Reply: '98 GR C2S at Dawydiak