Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need help on yellow caliper paint options and a good referral source????

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Rhino
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need help on yellow caliper paint options and a good referral source????

I recently had my calipers power coated but the shop painted them the wrong color and the paint also chipped after just one test run around the block.

Before I have them done again, I wanted to check with you all and find out what you have used to paint your calipers yellow. I had the Porche insignia painted on using stencils instead of the decals and will have that done again.

1. What color yellow does Porsche use on the calipers?

2. Do you reccomend the G2 paint kit over power coating? if so, do you know if their version of yellow closley matches the porche color?

3. Does anyone have a good referral in the bay area for getting these done right?

I have completely restored my porche inside and out over the past 8 months and this is the last step in a long process. It has been well worth the wait!! Once it is complete, I will post many pictures of the end result!!! It looks and feels amazing

thank you for your help

Rhino
Old 06-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Toddimus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I don't have any caliper coating input for Rhino, I must say his car is truly amazing! I've seen it with my own eyes a few times and the car is a piece of art. The interior is particularly well done. I won't spoil it for him and tell you all what he did to it. You'll have to wait to see his pictures. It makes me want to re-do my interior like his. I think many here will agree.

Good luck on the calipers, Rhino! It will be done soon. The waiting is almost over.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Rhino
Racer

Just checking to see if anyone can help regarding the calipers?
If any of you have the yellow colored calipers, do you know what the color is called or the color code?
thank you
Old 06-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino
I recently had my calipers power coated but the shop painted them the wrong color and the paint also chipped after just one test run around the block.

Before I have them done again, I wanted to check with you all and find out what you have used to paint your calipers yellow. I had the Porche insignia painted on using stencils instead of the decals and will have that done again.

1. What color yellow does Porsche use on the calipers?

2. Do you reccomend the G2 paint kit over power coating? if so, do you know if their version of yellow closley matches the porche color?

3. Does anyone have a good referral in the bay area for getting these done right?

I have completely restored my porche inside and out over the past 8 months and this is the last step in a long process. It has been well worth the wait!! Once it is complete, I will post many pictures of the end result!!! It looks and feels amazing. .

thank you for your help

Rhino
Rhino:

I powder coated my calipers yellow (see pics) on a car I sold. I saw the car last week and afetr a year of ownership and 8000 miles they still look new. I picked the color from a chart the powder coater had. I used the decals from the eBay source. I have used them on 2 cars now with 0 issues. Do a search on eBay for Porsche caliper decals and he will come up. he sends you 6 decals for a great price. BTW may paint has never chipped off the calipers. It may be a prep issue

Mike

Last edited by Arena993; 12-21-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Rhino
Racer

Originally Posted by Arena993
Rhino:

I powder coated my calipers yellow (see pics) on a car I sold. I saw the car last week and afetr a year of ownership and 8000 miles they still look new. I picked the color from a chart the powder coater had. I used the decals from the eBay source. I have used them on 2 cars now with 0 issues. Do a search on eBay for Porsche caliper decals and he will come up. he sends you 6 decals for a great price. BTW may paint has never chipped off the calipers. It may be a prep issue

Mike

Mike, thankyou for the response. Can you tell me who did them for you? Do you have their contact info? For some reason, I cannot find anyone in California who does this type of work.
thank you
Old 06-19-2007, 06:58 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tiger Drylac is a common supplier of powder stock. porsche uses the equivalent of RAL 1016, viewable here: http://www.tigerdrylac.com/fileadmin...colorchart.pdf

i had mine done at Miller Powdercoating in Lilburn, Georgia. you have to dissasselmble the calipers. they will powder coat them any 'standard' color for $100. the yellow you're looking for is an extra $75 since they don't normally stock it and will have to order it. i literally JUST went through this. BTW, the powder coat, if done properly, is WAY more durable than paint. if yours chipped after a couple of blocks of driving, they were not prepared properly.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:19 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the G2 kit on my calipers and highly recommend it (although I used red, not yellow). As others have said, prep is very important.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Rhino
Racer

Originally Posted by insite
Tiger Drylac is a common supplier of powder stock. porsche uses the equivalent of RAL 1016, viewable here: http://www.tigerdrylac.com/fileadmin...colorchart.pdf

i had mine done at Miller Powdercoating in Lilburn, Georgia. you have to dissasselmble the calipers. they will powder coat them any 'standard' color for $100. the yellow you're looking for is an extra $75 since they don't normally stock it and will have to order it. i literally JUST went through this. BTW, the powder coat, if done properly, is WAY more durable than paint. if yours chipped after a couple of blocks of driving, they were not prepared properly.

I new someone on this site would know someone. Thank you very much!
I will post pictures once the car is done.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Rhino
Racer

Originally Posted by gordo993
I used the G2 kit on my calipers and highly recommend it (although I used red, not yellow). As others have said, prep is very important.
I spoke with the G2 rep this morning but he could not tell me what color the yellow was called. He is sending me a sample so I can compare it.
I had no idea how much time and effort it was going to take to get these calipers done correctly.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Nickels
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Xenonmods.com is the decal guy. You can also buy the clear amber bulbs from him for your Euro clear corner.

Quick Reply: Need help on yellow caliper paint options and a good referral source????