Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL 1224, O2 sensor replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:17 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL 1224, O2 sensor replacement?

I have been getting an intermittant CEL code 1224. It was rare but has now been happening almost everytime I am at idle and goes out when engine revs for 10 to 15 seconds. I checked and cleaned the O2 sensor wires without any improvement. May have even gotten worse after that could be a coincidence. Any other ideas?

The plan otherwise is to just go ahead and change the O2 sensor since it appears to be the original, now 73K on the clock.

I have not yet removed the sensor. It looks like it might be a challenge due to some corrosion. Any tips? I am going to order the OEM part but do I need anything else like a sealing ring before I pull the part and place the order?

Thanks.

Last edited by mbb993; 06-05-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:42 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

You will need a 22mm flare nut wrench to do this. A closed socket won't work. I just replaced my O2 sensor with a BOSCH replacement off Ebay for $30. The one I got asks you to cut the wires, which is the quicker way to go. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:23 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Originally Posted by ilko
You will need a 22mm flare nut wrench to do this. A closed socket won't work. I just replaced my O2 sensor with a BOSCH replacement off Ebay for $30. The one I got asks you to cut the wires, which is the quicker way to go. Good luck!
I got the flare wrench covered, thanks. Is there a special seal or crush washer that I need to order as well? I can't tell for sure from the parts list or looking at it on the cat and dont want to remove the sensor untill I have all the parts in hand.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:44 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

No seal or crusher (at least not on my car, and the sensor didn't come with one either), but I don't think it's necessary. Just don't overtighten it and you'll be OK.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:12 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Just don't overtighten it and you'll be OK.
The torque spec for the oxygen sensor is 50-60Nm (37-44 ft-lbs).
Old 06-06-2007, 12:21 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I just replaced mine with exactly that mileage. had the identical symptoms. cured the cel right away. got mine from Vertex and Pelican had them too. both charge about $100 but its oem and the wires and connectors are a perfect fit. only took a simple open end wrench - easy DIY. (assuming you are not using your undertray - easy to access)

by the way I grew up in Daytona Beach - great place to be a kid at any age!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:21 AM
mbb993
Instructor

Jason thanks for the torque specs. That saved me a bunch of time to locate!

Stace, greetings form DB. Thanks for the tip on Vertex. That's a nice savings over the dealer and I did not want to mess with the wire splicing needed for the aftermarket sensors.

In addition to the CEL I have another intermittant symptom I am hoping it will help with. I get an occassional bucking in first gear. It has been hard to consistantly reproduce but seems to happen when accelerating hard in first gear if the car is already moving, not from a stop. When it starts, giving more gas only makes it worse and to stop it one must either stop accelerating or push in the clutch. After doing an extensive search here I have only come up with three possibilities.

1. Bad DME relay. The one in the car is a the latest 993 PN and looks relatively new but might change it anyway.
2. bad O2 sensor causing one of those atypical symptoms. Considering the CEL as well perhaps this is it.
3. ECU low speed cutoff problem. I have seen this mentioned briefly on the forum but could not find any definitive resolution for it.

If you guys have any other ideas or suggestions they will be much appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mbb993
Jason thanks for the torque specs. That saved me a bunch of time to locate!

Stace, greetings form DB. Thanks for the tip on Vertex. That's a nice savings over the dealer and I did not want to mess with the wire splicing needed for the aftermarket sensors.

In addition to the CEL I have another intermittant symptom I am hoping it will help with. I get an occassional bucking in first gear. It has been hard to consistantly reproduce but seems to happen when accelerating hard in first gear if the car is already moving, not from a stop. When it starts, giving more gas only makes it worse and to stop it one must either stop accelerating or push in the clutch. After doing an extensive search here I have only come up with three possibilities.

1. Bad DME relay. The one in the car is a the latest 993 PN and looks relatively new but might change it anyway.
2. bad O2 sensor causing one of those atypical symptoms. Considering the CEL as well perhaps this is it.
3. ECU low speed cutoff problem. I have seen this mentioned briefly on the forum but could not find any definitive resolution for it.

If you guys have any other ideas or suggestions they will be much appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help.
I had a similar problem and the O2 sensor replacement solved it. Hope that it's the same case for you!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:16 AM
mbb993
Instructor

Just recieved the replacement O2 sensor from Vertex.
It is a Bosch part and has the correct connector but the grommet where the wire passes into the engine compartment is missing. I have not yet removed the old sensor. Is the grommet reusable or do I need to fabricate something or just leave it off?

BTW, the new sensore has a crush washer on it similar to those on spark plugs.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:40 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

gromet is reusable, push the old one and it goes out. The gromet is sliced so that you could slide the O2 sensor cable inside.
you could install the gromet at the end, after pluging everything.
I do not recall a washer when I changed my sensor a couple of months ago.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:10 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Thanks geolab, that's the good news I needed today!!

Quick Reply: CEL 1224, O2 sensor replacement?