993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anal perspective on 993 pricing

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007 | 07:05 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Berkley]The key words are "asking price" and the key variable is the net realization sales price to the seller......to my knowledge that is a unknown and a major flaw to your analysis, among others cited heretofore.

Each Porsche needs to be evaluated on its own merits. Condition is key to me, but condition is not a fuction of just model year and miles. Overall condtion ( to include mechanical, body, paint and interior, et.al. ) , options, color combination, owner, damage and service history are major factors for me in buying a 993. [QUOTE]

+1

I believe I was trained at the same B-school in redneckland, so perhaps we are both drinking the same cool-aid .
Old 06-06-2007 | 07:13 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Not sure you need to spend such big $$ to find a good driver's car. I just bought a 97 C2 with 61K miles for $31K. It had a few minor issues (replaced front quarter), but was a one-owner car with complete service history and passed two independent PPI's with flying colors. A set of front tires and an alignment were all that was needed. The exterior isn't perfect (a few dings/chips and some swirling that I'm hoping a good wet sand will solve), but the interior looks nearly new and everything works. The car doesn't have a single rattle and feels very solid.

I don't think you necessarily have to spend the huge premium demanded for a low mileage car to find one that will feel "right" to you, you just need to find one that has been well cared for.
Old 06-07-2007 | 11:48 AM
V
Rennlist Member

A very timely post. I have a related issue that I posted in a new thread (did not want to hijack).

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/357497-to-keep-or-not-to-keep-advice-needed-longish.html

Eventhough this issue is delicate, its still an issue. I have given it much thought, but have not yet come to a conclusion.. I'm sure I will though and I will let you know when I do. Good luck
Old 06-08-2007 | 05:26 PM
AShearer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Berkley
I am not underestimating you in any sense and please accept my apology if you were offended in any way....I think I referred you to Tim Holt in your first thread. He is a great resource for the Porsche 993 model range.

If you have interest in a 1998 C2S with 35,000 miles or so, please contact me by PM or email and I can provide you with the private owner's contact information. The Porsche is here in Richmond and in my opinion it is a fairly priced opportunity for a serious buyer.
Berkley: No offense taken. I think I may have found the right car for me. Will keep everyone in suspense until the deal is done.

You did refer me to Tim, a great guy. But, for whatever reason every car he has is a 96? I really, really want an S. Probably silly, but it's what I want.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-08-2007 | 06:57 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Originally Posted by AShearer
Berkley: No offense taken. I think I may have found the right car for me. Will keep everyone in suspense until the deal is done.

You did refer me to Tim, a great guy. But, for whatever reason every car he has is a 96? I really, really want an S. Probably silly, but it's what I want.

Thanks for your help.
96 and S are not mutually exclusive.

Hope you got the car you were searching for. Still wish someone would do a little analysis on some sale data!
Old 06-09-2007 | 01:20 PM
The Antenna Man
Intermediate

Haven't found any 993 C2S under $40k
Old 06-16-2007 | 03:41 PM
AShearer
Instructor

Originally Posted by scott watkins
Buy my '97 c4s, problem solved.

Okay, I will!
Old 06-16-2007 | 03:42 PM
AShearer
Instructor

Originally Posted by air eater
I second that!
Buy Scott's car. Great original car with the RoW M030 suspension in place.
What more could you ask for?
You won't find one in any better condition.

Thank you for the tip. As you know by now. I DID exactly, precisely take your advice.

Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2007 | 04:41 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Randy 1
96 and S are not mutually exclusive.

Hope you got the car you were searching for. Still wish someone would do a little analysis on some sale data!
yes.... they are mutually exclusive... (only 97-98).... now a 4S is a different story...
Old 06-16-2007 | 06:15 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Randy: Could you elaborate on your statement re lack of value in a nice paint job.
Antenna man: maybe not below $40K but gosh don close to $40K; found it on the PCA classifieds; great cond (needed susp), 30K miles and single PCA owner (NOT rennlister, there is a difference!), and yes it had a great paint job and yes that made a difference.

Jack
ps: It seems to me that there is at least one GREAT 993 listed on the rennlist classifieds each and every month.

Quick Reply: Anal perspective on 993 pricing