Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Quit - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:15 PM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top Quit - HELP!

Went out this morning and hit the switch to lower the top. It unlatched and moved 3 inches then quit. No noise, no motors, nothing. I adjusted the nuts to lower it manually. Now I am trying to diagnose.

According to my search it may be one of the following. Top control module, Emergency Brake Switch, or Fuse.

Can someone tell me where the top control module is and how to remove it? Or which fuse this is in the unmarked box of gizmoes?

Personally I dont mind raising and lowering it manually however I would like to at least restore automatic locking of the latches.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:34 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Could also be the retracting motor (was in my case). The fuse should be marked in the fuse box, no? Sticker on the lid?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:39 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Were you on level ground? If not you probably blew a fuse. It is # 13.
good luck
Ron
Old 06-04-2007, 03:12 PM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Okay I am a complete moron. Blew a fuze and did not know the schematic was on the lid. Swampped out the 30 amp and now the top latches work. Motors come on but wont move the top. Did I do something when I loosened the nuts to allow for manual operation? Is there a meathod for tightening them back up? Thanks guys.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:47 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Not to admit being too much of a fool, but that same fuse blows out if you try to put it up with the cover on
Al
Old 06-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ScubaJKD
Okay I am a complete moron. Blew a fuze and did not know the schematic was on the lid. Swampped out the 30 amp and now the top latches work. Motors come on but wont move the top. Did I do something when I loosened the nuts to allow for manual operation? Is there a meathod for tightening them back up? Thanks guys.
Did you tighten the bolts on the 2 side arms back up?

What I would do is keep the top up fully up and latched and from that position snug down the side bolts in the arms, this way you'll be starting from an equal position on both sides.

As for the Cab Top Controller, it's under the drivers side dash, above another control module. You'll have to remove the other module to get to the Cab top mod.

If you haven't already, do a search as there are many posts (inc. pics) of both these issues.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Scuba, you can't just tighten the bolts with the top up if you loostened them with it down. There is a tab and a slot on the transmission and the control arms. They have to be lined up before you tighten it back. If you lower your top to the previous position, they should line up. Finger tighten the bolts, then pull the top up and down a bit to center the slots. There is a thin washer on each side that needs to be centered also. Search for a thread showing all this. I learned a lot about repairing my top right here. I had to re-solder the board in the controller under the dash, but mine works great now.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:10 AM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

If you disengaged the bolts to operate the top manually don't try to move it with the motors.You will disengage the worm gear from the transmission.This is a pain in the *** to fix. Ask me how I know.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:23 PM
veloce10
Intermediate

I have a 1998 Cabrio and the dealer informed me there is a factory recall for the conv. top motor.
This is in Canada anyway.
Veloce10

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Quit - HELP!