Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Have you ever been tempted to sell your 993 and your older daily driver for .........

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Having been reading these posts for four years or so, that's funny.

Steve, I don't know if you remember me, but I drove you back to your hotel the night before you picked up your C4S. (Eric picked you up at O'Hare, a bunch of us Chicago Rennlisters met for dinner with you at a local racer bar and grill)

On that ride to your hotel you were talking about your wife not being sure about your purchase.

Steve, I'm beginning to think she is a negative influence in your life.

(BTW one of my friends, a Rennlister, had one of those Benzes. Sold it a year or so after he got it. Said it was boring once you got used to the hp)
You're killing me here, Mike. It's funny that you think I could possibly have forgotten you, OR the other guys that helped me out that weekend to get this car. I'll never forget any of you and the kindness and humor you bestowed on me.

These other replies are killing me too. My wife is a most excellent person, but she becomes my worst adversary when she starts talking about me selling my 993! She just doesn't want my cars draining our funds, and in a sense I understand her worries and fears. And yeah, she'd be happy if I only had 1 car and not 2. I doubt I'm the only one of us that is in this position, that their significant other wished we didn't have to have 2 cars, thus a huge additional drain on the family finances.

We talked about some of the points you guys brought up, and she admitted that having a Toyota Yaris or Honda Civic would be kind of a bite for her too after having the 7 series BMW's for so many years. She doesn't like Saab's at all, so that Viggen is out. I'd love a used MB 500E but that puppy is still going to cost some bucks to maintain... In the end, she agreed that keeping the BMW, for now, is the best idea. If it gets to be ridiculous in repair expense, then we can revisit it.

I told her how important it was for me to keep the 993 (thanks to all your gently nudging reminders) and she agreed it would be ok. I told her the that 993 will be staying for good, regardless of what happens financially with us, so we'll have to cut back in other ways, and on other things.

To 993Brendan: Thanks for the kind words. They really meant alot.

Steve R
Old 06-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,951 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
You're killing me here, Mike. It's funny that you think I could possibly have forgotten you, OR the other guys that helped me out that weekend to get this car. I'll never forget any of you and the kindness and humor you bestowed on me.

These other replies are killing me too. My wife is a most excellent person, but she becomes my worst adversary when she starts talking about me selling my 993! She just doesn't want my cars draining our funds, and in a sense I understand her worries and fears. And yeah, she'd be happy if I only had 1 car and not 2. I doubt I'm the only one of us that is in this position, that their significant other wished we didn't have to have 2 cars, thus a huge additional drain on the family finances.

We talked about some of the points you guys brought up, and she admitted that having a Toyota Yaris or Honda Civic would be kind of a bite for her too after having the 7 series BMW's for so many years. She doesn't like Saab's at all, so that Viggen is out. I'd love a used MB 500E but that puppy is still going to cost some bucks to maintain... In the end, she agreed that keeping the BMW, for now, is the best idea. If it gets to be ridiculous in repair expense, then we can revisit it.

I told her how important it was for me to keep the 993 (thanks to all your gently nudging reminders) and she agreed it would be ok. I told her the that 993 will be staying for good, regardless of what happens financially with us, so we'll have to cut back in other ways, and on other things.

To 993Brendan: Thanks for the kind words. They really meant alot.

Steve R

Good for you Steve. I think this is a decision you won't regret. I can see your wife's perspective from a woman's POV and it's important for you as her partner to see that also. Equally important however, is for her to understand your needs and POV and to respect those indulgences that make you tick. Most of us on this board are still kids at heart and toys and playing with those toys is an important part of staying young.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LJ in Van
Good for you Steve. I think this is a decision you won't regret. I can see your wife's perspective from a woman's POV and it's important for you as her partner to see that also. Equally important however, is for her to understand your needs and POV and to respect those indulgences that make you tick. Most of us on this board are still kids at heart and toys and playing with those toys is an important part of staying young.
Exactly, Louis. Boys and their toys.

She kind of understands this a little better now after our heart to heart we just had about what that 993 means to me. I think she'd be sad to see it go too. I'm sure she just wishes it didn't cost so much to maintain when things happen to it. . At least her Acura won't cost us much for 8 years! We'll be buying an 8 year extended warranty on it soon so it'll cost alot less than her 99 Jag XK8 ever did in repairs.

Steve R
Old 06-03-2007, 01:02 PM
NEK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on Louis's comments about your wife/partner. 993 is a helluva car but just a car (but what do I know, I don't have one yet--but I gots me a wife who I wouldn't trade for any car...except a 959).

-NEK, Chicago
Old 06-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts

Steve,

I'm very glad to hear that you are going to keep your 993. I think you would have been in a worse financial situation in the MB with future repairs coming your way.

Take care,

Rich
Old 06-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell her you'll compromise and sell both cars for a 993TT!! Seriously, I won't get into the partner thing and the work things out together thing because it's been repeated enough times to give you a complex. It doesn't sound like the S55 is your answer, either.

Have you driven an E55 or an M5? I have a 2002 M5 and it's a beast, no other way to describe it. If I had to give up my TT due to money reasons (wife won't ever LET me sell it because she knows I would regret it, totally different situation) I truly think I could be happy with only an M5. 6 speed, 400hp, traction control off, all the creature comforts of an S55 except for the BIG back seat. I have 3 kids and all five of us can fit in the M5 if necessary, albeit a little tight in the back seat.

Another thought is the Mercedes Benz CLK55 coupe or convertible. Just shy of 400 horses, lots of fun, good looking. Only lacking point is it only comes in Automatic per MB tradition.

Just random thoughts to try and help you out.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Collins - 96 993TT

Another thought is the Mercedes Benz CLK55 coupe or convertible. Just shy of 400 horses, lots of fun, good looking. Only lacking point is it only comes in Automatic per MB tradition.
Yes, but it's a 7 speed with shift paddles.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:06 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by LJ in Van
Most of us on this board are still kids at heart and toys and playing with those toys is an important part of staying young.
+1!!
I was starting to feel a little guilty about 'irrational expeditures' after reading through this thread, but these are good words LJ. The car represents more than simply something that is fun to drive....
Old 06-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Have you driven an E55 or an M5? I have a 2002 M5 and it's a beast, no other way to describe it. If I had to give up my TT due to money reasons (wife won't ever LET me sell it because she knows I would regret it, totally different situation) I truly think I could be happy with only an M5. 6 speed, 400hp, traction control off, all the creature comforts of an S55 except for the BIG back seat. I have 3 kids and all five of us can fit in the M5 if necessary, albeit a little tight in the back seat. Another thought is the Mercedes Benz CLK55 coupe or convertible. Just shy of 400 horses, lots of fun, good looking. Only lacking point is it only comes in Automatic per MB tradition. Just random thoughts to try and help you out.
Thx Robert. I of course love both those cars, the E55 and the M5 but they put me in the same position I'm in now - extremely high performance cars that will suck alot of excess cash from our bank acct. The E55 is a car my wife drove a few times before buying the Acura. She loved it, but it goes no where in snow. The M5 is a stickshift and I need an automatic for daily driving in bumper to bumper traffic all day here in and around Wash DC. Plus, when we go on family trips and we take my car, she can't/won't drive a stick shift so we have to have another slushbox.

The car I have is really a great car.

It's been in the shop alot lately, but it's worth it to an extent. The thing is, we jointed decided that we'd keep these 2 cars (the 993 and 740i) as long as they average about $3k per year per car. When one of them starts costing more than that, we said we couldn't afford that and would need to rethink one or both of the cars. We got to that point the other day, but I wormed out of the "we'd have to sell one" for now.

Steve R
Old 06-03-2007, 05:42 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,509 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I sold a 300SEL 6.3 to buy my first Porsche, an '87 3.2 Cab. The maintenance bils dropped in half. We have owned 6 MBs over the last 20 years. Have you considered a sportier lighter MB, eg the CLK 550?
no, you sold a 6.3....
when my father sold his 450sel 6.9 while i was away in college, i was vey very pissed off upon my return, despite that it was NOT my car. i love it and detailed it every weekend since new. luckily we kept the E500 (the orig AMG one, not the later crap with similar nomenclature).

but after 560SEL stopped in early 90's, MBZ really hasn't make anything worth buying. lease and dump, yes. but nothing would interest me more than 2 day on their current line up. make that 2 hours.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:59 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do it. Life is too short to wonder about what could have been.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Steve R
I hope you've come to an understanding that leaves room for your passion.

All the best with it.

Last edited by Mike in Chi; 06-04-2007 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What have you spent $$'s on on the e38? Funny thing is, my 2001 740i is my new car!

I'm fully prepared to put some decent cash into the 740i over the years, hopefully nothing internal to the engine like a top end rebuild. I know the cooling system is a weak point as is some of the front suspension components. That's why they sell for the price that they sell for. All in all, I think the e38 is a great car. Honestly I was hoping my Wife would want a reliable Japanese car like an accord, or a TL, or a honda element but she wanted the 7.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:36 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx Robert. I of course love both those cars, the E55 and the M5 but they put me in the same position I'm in now - extremely high performance cars that will suck alot of excess cash from our bank acct. The E55 is a car my wife drove a few times before buying the Acura. She loved it, but it goes no where in snow. The M5 is a stickshift and I need an automatic for daily driving in bumper to bumper traffic all day here in and around Wash DC. Plus, when we go on family trips and we take my car, she can't/won't drive a stick shift so we have to have another slushbox.

The car I have is really a great car.

It's been in the shop alot lately, but it's worth it to an extent. The thing is, we jointed decided that we'd keep these 2 cars (the 993 and 740i) as long as they average about $3k per year per car. When one of them starts costing more than that, we said we couldn't afford that and would need to rethink one or both of the cars. We got to that point the other day, but I wormed out of the "we'd have to sell one" for now.

Steve R
It appears you need video conferencing and say the hell with your commutte! I can set you up with a sweet Cisco Telepresence set up for $300k. It has 3 dispays and only takes 7meg per screen. Got 21 meg of bandwidth in your house?

I can relate to the bumper to bumper traffic. An automatic in bumper to bumper is so much better, IMHO

Its weird, its been 10 years since I have really had a commutte. I always have had an office but I rarely appear. Of course, its my office and just me so I dont need to.

Last edited by 95 C4 993; 06-03-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:48 PM
kb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve -
my CL 500 has been my dd for the last 4 years. The 993 stays in the garage for those nice days and fun runs we have. Point is, if I had to trade or sell the CL, I could live with myself. I would go as far as taking a loan to keep my 993 on the road. This is not an easy decision for you to make but spend sometime talking to a Mechanic at the dealership in Bethesda or at American Service Center in Arlington about repair costs for the S class inc. AMG models. You will not believe the cost of repair on the Sport Air Suspension (Active Body Control). All good advise here 'cos we are looking out for you. Sell the 7 and get a zip car if you must. Keep the 993. My best to you in your final decison.

Quick Reply: Have you ever been tempted to sell your 993 and your older daily driver for .........