Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have most of your 96's rusted by the windshield? $1000 later...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:31 AM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had dime sized areas of the paint start bubbling on both rear window and front fender trim of my 1991 C4. In the first case I repaired it ASAP and the work wasn't much more than pull the gasket and refresh the area and spot paint.

Unfortunately I allowed the other defect to fester as the car wasn't being used much and by the time the shop pulled the trim the area underneath had become involved. They wanted to do the right thing; I told them to do the right thing; and the right thing was to pull the fender and remove the now silver-dollar sized area and clean up the cowl area underneath. $1000 would sound like a bargain to me after the minor surgery I commissioned.

A '96 is 5 years younger (my car is really an 8/1990 build) but all the suggestions here are sound: remove standing water under trim areas, and treat any visible rust as quickly as you can.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:52 AM
Pickled Piper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it on mine. It was discovered when I had the windshield replaced. At the time I just had the new windshield installed without taking any other action. I've since tried to get Porsche to repair it under the ten year warranty. However, my car has been outside the dealer network for many years and was just outside the ten year period when the rust was discovered so Porsche eventauly declined.

I've also got a small amount of corrosion on the front wheel arches as described by the OP. The cars going in towards the end of the year to get all of it repaired.

pp
Old 06-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Glad (or sad) to hear that I'm merely one of many that has had rust on their 993 and had to spend some bucks to get it repaired. It's worth it, I guess, if you're going to keep your car long term. That may be an iffy situation now for me, but I'm working on that long term plan again with gusto .

Steve R
Old 06-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Don't forget these cars have a 10 year rust warranty so some of you (1997, 1998) might still have a chance to chase Porsche for a free repair. I have personal experience in this department and they will eventually do it with enough pressure but only if its 10 years or less. Its usually not pleasant to deal with the Stealer or the Porsche rep but be persistant. If you remember, I signed off on my Targa roof replacement on the last day of the warranty!

Oh, I also did not have any rust inspection certificates nor did I ever have my car in the stealer for service work! But I was a very persistant pain-in-the-a**.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Have most of your 96's rusted by the windshield? $1000 later...