Sponsored by:

Considering a 993 daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Considering a 993 daily driver

I'm considering a 993 as a daily driver... and am curious who else here drives one all the time. This would be a replacement for an M-B E320 4matic -- and it would be joining a 914 and 944 turbo race car in the stable.

Most importantly: How usable are the rear seats for kids? How usable is it in adverse weather? How good is the defroster? (the 914's is miserable -- although, on a cool day, I get heat in about 15 seconds -- faster than the heated seat on the M-B) In stock trim, is the ride quality soft enough for comfortable, everyday driving? Are there any known issues to look out for?

Lastly, there seems to be a large disparity between the asking prices of cars and what price guides (like SCM's sale-based price guide) publish. Naturally, we all think our Porsches are special, but I'm surprised to see that the "market value" of a nice daily driver C4S is $30k-ish and people are advertising the cars at $40-$50k.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 05-26-2007, 02:10 AM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive my car every day and love it! Just this Wednesday at the office, we we're informed we are moving to new offices making a longer drive for everyone and causing a lot of moans/whining with the exception of two people.(a co worker who drives a 03' 996 Turbo and of course me!)

Depending on how old your children are the back seat can be used until they get about 5' ft tall (When I was a kid I rode in the back of my dads 911 all the time)

Adverse weather ha!..to a C4 or C4S..it just laughs at it.............the defroster kicks *** in mine so I can't imagine a C4's being any worse..............the stock suspension is very compliant so your wife likes it too..................get a complete PPI from a shop that actually knows 993's to find any issues.

Find one that fits your budget**, criteria, color pref's and get a complete PPI from a shop that actually knows 993's.

Good luck in your hunt.......ZP44

PS: Did I mention getting a complete PPI from a shop that actually knows 993's?

**C4S's ain't cheep, try a NB C4!
Old 05-26-2007, 07:39 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No question - mine is the DD...

1. I get proper people in there. They're not happy, but they fit (just). Kids'll be fine.
2. It is probably the best-handling car in bad weather I've ever driven (together with my old Scooby). It just seems to get better and better the worse the weather gets.
3. Never had a problem with the defroster on the rear.

As far as prices, I know that here there's a massive disparity between published prices and asking prices, based on condition of the car. High-mileage average condition cars are spot-on the guides, but the lower the mileage and better the condition, the more people are asking and getting. Mint Turbos are getting silly prices - I should know... I bought one!

Get one. You won't regret it. Just make sure you get it serviced regularly and you'll be fine!
Old 05-26-2007, 07:51 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it, you will not regret it. I too switched from a M-B to the 993, 2 years ago and never looked back.
How usable are the rear seats for kids? Good until probably about 12 y old
How usable is it in adverse weather? Unbelievable! I drive mine year long, including winter in Canada. Just get a set of winter tire and go! Mine is not even a C4 but still handles incredibly on snow (up to 8" of snow). Just watch for the others on the road to avoid being hit...
How good is the defroster? 20 seconds
In stock trim, is the ride quality soft enough for comfortable, everyday driving? Well, mine was harsh until I found out that my shocks were worn out. I replaced them with Bilstein HDs and find the ride now very good (not as soft as a M-B though).
Are there any known issues to look out for? Do a search on this forum and you will find a wealth of information. But do not look too hard otherwise you will get scared. 993 are very reliable cars and if they have been weel maintained, they will not let you down on the side of the road. Get a PPI done by a reputable shop for your peace of mind.
Price-wise, you are looking at low to mid-30's for a 1995 C2 with around 50K miles and then the prices up for C4, even more for C4S and C2S.
Good luck with your search (it is half the fun!)
Old 05-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 to what everyone said.

The fun factor coupled with the car's surprising practicality make the choice of a 993 a slam dunk.

Only two times in my life have I actually gone out of my way to get behind the wheel and drive - when I turned 16 and got my license, and last year when I got my 993!
Old 05-26-2007, 09:22 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
No question - mine is the DD...

1. I get proper people in there. They're not happy, but they fit (just). Kids'll be fine.
2. It is probably the best-handling car in bad weather I've ever driven (together with my old Scooby). It just seems to get better and better the worse the weather gets.
3. Never had a problem with the defroster on the rear.

As far as prices, I know that here there's a massive disparity between published prices and asking prices, based on condition of the car. High-mileage average condition cars are spot-on the guides, but the lower the mileage and better the condition, the more people are asking and getting. Mint Turbos are getting silly prices - I should know... I bought one!

Get one. You won't regret it. Just make sure you get it serviced regularly and you'll be fine!
wow... a 1997 993 twin turbo S as a daily driver... now that is something...

Old 05-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks for the great feedback, guys.

Now I'll have to start the search!
Old 05-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I use my 96 as a daily driver. I also have 3 kids (14, 12, 10) the younger ones fit in back fine, the 14 year old does for short rides. I used to have a targa that I didn' drive when it rained, but that was because the top leaked at the roofline, right on my left leg. funny, I live in so Cal, where it never rains, and the day I picked up the car, it rained. I have no qualms driving the 993 in weather.

I picked up my C2 for $31K with 68K miles prices range drasticallly, but so do the conditions of the car. Absolutely have a PPI and ensure high price items like valve job or clutch won't be needed soon, or else take into account in the price. In my search, NB coupes range from $30-$35K with S types ~$5-$10K more, the C4Ss, ran about $10-20K more.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

I was actually about to purchase a 993 for a daily car, but some other issues gummed up the works. I ended up picking up an 00 E430 4matic. Obviously the cars are completely different, but the nice part about the MB is the options. I don't think that I would want another car without navigation, which is making it hard for me to truly consider a 993. I also don't seem much room to put an aftermarket setup in there.

Also, as silly as they are things like zenons, the rear sunshade, and the multi contour seats really appeal to me.

Its not the 993s fault, those options weren't terribly popular or widespread at the time, but for a daily car, I do wish that the 993 had some more modern options.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I bought mine as a daily driver and used it as such for a year and a half until I got a company car. They may pull the company car back due to gas prices and the 993 will again become a daily driver. The best part of the 993 as a daily driver is it gives you somthing to look forward to at the end of the day. During my breaks I would go out and wipe down the wheels.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:41 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I was actually about to purchase a 993 for a daily car, but some other issues gummed up the works. I ended up picking up an 00 E430 4matic. Obviously the cars are completely different, but the nice part about the MB is the options. I don't think that I would want another car without navigation, which is making it hard for me to truly consider a 993. I also don't seem much room to put an aftermarket setup in there.

Also, as silly as they are things like zenons, the rear sunshade, and the multi contour seats really appeal to me.

Its not the 993s fault, those options weren't terribly popular or widespread at the time, but for a daily car, I do wish that the 993 had some more modern options.
I totally and whole-heartedly disagree with everything you've just said. Sorry, but I have a little GPS unit (TomTom-alike) that suckers onto the windshield the 1% of times that I need it. It is, hands down, better than any built-in factory nav I've used - a whole lot cheaper too.

I also went from an e46 M3 to the TT, and I can safely say that I do not miss ANY of the 'extras' more modern cars have. I mean, apart from electric mirrors/windows and aircon (all standard) and xenons (a $500 retrofit), name me one 'option' that you can't happily live without?

There, exactly...
Old 05-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

+1 what urban said. I have a built-in Nav on each of my '07 MB and '07 Lexus. Compared to the Garmin I use in my 993, their user interface is primitive.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:09 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
wow... a 1997 993 twin turbo S as a daily driver... now that is something...

My Dad said it best:

"It's a car right? So shut up and drive it!"
Old 05-26-2007, 05:41 PM
danpugh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to laugh at Terry Adam's picture showing mounting position of his GPS - that's where I stick mine, too. It just sort of makes sense.

I bought mine almost one year ago with the intention of using it as a daily driver, and I do drive it every day to work -- about 65 miles total a day, year-round. The car loves the miles and driving it is a joy every day - it never gets old. Weather is never a problem (I have a 4S). One piece of advice if using it as a commuting car - try to find some fun roads to drive on; avoid the boring mega-highways in favor of country roads if you can. It enhances the enjoyment of the car, at least for me.

Maintenance is costly and slow, though. My only complaint really.

My kids fit easily in the back still (I even have a car seat for my 3-year-old), but only a very small adult can sit in back.

The prior posts are correct about price - expect 40K+ for a low-to-middle mileage 993 in good condition, IMO.

I'd certainly buy another one, knowing what I know now. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2007, 06:12 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"One piece of advice if using it as a commuting car - try to find some fun roads to drive on; avoid the boring mega-highways in favor of country roads if you can. It enhances the enjoyment of the car, at least for me."

This is excellent advice that I use every day for my enjoyment too.

Nav this, Nav that....doesn't any read maps or a Thomas Bro's anymore?

I use a Garmin 295 whenever I fly but still navigate by hand when VFR and have never used it for road directions.....guess I'm too old school for a Tom-Tom or to be told where to go by a computer voice.

ZP44

Quick Reply: Considering a 993 daily driver