Sponsored by:

Considering a 993 daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:08 PM
guiness
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
And that Britax fits in the back no problem? We have one like that, but my wife is very nervous about it fitting. (I have a 3 year old, too).
I put two britax parkways in the back of mine when I have my 5yr old and 3yr old in the car. It does impact my legroom and at 6'1" it takes wiggling for me to get in.

The joy on their face while driving is well worth getting smushed.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:13 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Guinness, it was your post a while ago about your two Britax Parkways that got me to get this one. I gave up on finding a baby seat (for under 3 y.o.).

Van, yes, it fits pretty well. It is curved on the bottom, and goes farther back into the seat than anything else I tried. I just got it Sunday, and I have not even had a chance to put my kid in it (he's not quite 3 anyway), so I can't say just yet how well it works.

The Onyx color looks great with the black interior. What looks like gray on the web is actually black nylon with gray stitching. Looks much, uh, blacker. I didn't take any pics, because like I said, I want to make sure it works well with my son in it first. I'll write up a new thread when I do.

Sorry for the thread hijack!
Old 05-29-2007, 04:13 PM
creator8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought and use mine as a daily driver. There's not much else out there for the money that I'd personally prefer. The seats are fine for kids--I have a 5 and 7 year old that love travelling back there.

My only issue with having kids in the back is that the rear seat backs don't go high enough so, god forbid I get rear ended or hit something, the kids aren't going to get the proper whiplash protection. I've thought about car seats, but I don't need more stinking car seats in my garage. Before kids I had five motorcycle in the garage and no car seats. That flipped to about six car seats and one motorcycle. I've been reversing the trend recently as the kids grow--I'm up to three bikes.

I digress, and I'll actually be the odd one out, with kids, if you don't have a "mom wagon" or the like--we have a Navigator, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a 993 as a daily driver with kids being regular passengers, absent of a car seat of course.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Ahh, don't worry. There is a "Mom Wagon". And even a truck in the mix to tow the race car. A 993 would just have me in it 90% of the time -- that's kind of why I think the E320 is a little bit of a waste right now.

BTW, I think that E320 is a spectacular car. It has many good strong points -- but, now that the weather is nice, I find myself jumping in the 914 more and more. I'd like to have a p-car to jump into when the weather gets crappy.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 993 makes a great daily driver. While some might want more modern amenities in the car for DD, I enjoy the simplicity of the car compared to the gadget filled family truckster. I have also done a few trips in the car in the year and a half since I bought it. I'm always impressed with how easy it is to travel distance in. As others have said, make a point of getting of the highway and find some roads you might not otherwise travel to get to your destination. It is some of the most fun you'll have. My kids are 9 and 7 and fit reasonably well in the back seats. Last fall we did a family trip, my wife and both girls, in the car for a 3 day weekend with luggage. I won't lie, it was tight, but an awful lot of fun. Good luck with the search.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:02 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got mine when i turned 60, 22k then 93k 3 yrs later, everyt day, rain etc, who cares, she is no hangar queen Its a cab, chuck helped me manualize the top[many thanks chuck]. after a long day in the OR its almost orgazmic and carbon footprint..... to hell, i love it. i put HiD s in it as my eyes are olderand the bright lights during the day bleach the retina a bit. Its an auditory symphony at the end and beginng of the day, and the seats are the best iv had. ive never had it over 95mph but i love getting there. ds
Old 05-30-2007, 09:39 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I used mine as a daily driver for a while but now it's garaged. When I put the kids in the back their heads are inches from the rear and side glass so I got to thinking it's a bit 'silly' to expose them unnecessarily.

Now I'm thinking about selling her for a sedan but every time I drive it I realize "WHY!?".

Quick Reply: Considering a 993 daily driver