993 Forum 1995-1998

Side mirrors not mounted symmetrically and other fun facts

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:12 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GabiOsz
The spoiler light is actually for the contol module that gauges the speed of the car. If it isn't working and the spoiler dosen't rise, engine cooling isn't efficent as the spoiler also "catches" air and directs it down into the engine compartment.
The light actually came in handy yesterday, it alerted me to the fact my speedo was out (hm.. I guess these cars DO have speedos, facinating). I raised it manually. The speeds started to work again after I'd parked the car for a while and of course the light went out after moving a few yards. So foe me that was good because.. well.. I guess I don't look at my speedo very often.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:16 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JPS
Qs:
1) Why isn't the steering wheel centered on the seat?
2) I'm not understanding about the plug on the keys...I can unlock my car with key from both sides. But I'm '95 and don't have remote either...
Sounds like a 96+ thing, my '95 is the same way (keyholes on both sides and no remote).
Old 05-26-2007, 03:28 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my car has key holes on both sides
Old 05-26-2007, 05:31 PM
danpugh
Advanced

So does mine -- I know, because I have plugs in both sides... odd.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:29 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
I've driven, washed, and otherwise fussed over my car for over a year and never noticed this until now: driver and passenger side mirrors are mounted on different places on their respective doors. In retrospect, it makes total sense to ensure clear lines of sight, but I was amazed to stumble upon this nonetheless.

Any other quirky oddities lurking on our cars that you folks have found? I'm just curious more than anything else.

It took a year???Huh?.....you may need to have your eyes checked for possible blindness....don't get mad I was just kidding.................I guess you have never seen overhead photos of every later than 73 model 911with two mirrors....as far as I know, all of them are off set for visibility.

ZP44
Old 06-03-2007, 10:32 AM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can't get just the tracking done on these cars. You have to do a full suspension alignment. On 'normal' cars, if you have some uneven tyre (tire) wear on the front, they can adjust the tracking, but not on a 993.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
...I guess you have never seen overhead photos of every later than 73 model 911with two mirrors....as far as I know, all of them are off set for visibility...

ZP44
The overhead shots really are the best way to catch the mirror offset - despite that, although I've seen plenty of pics, I never noticed. Didn't expect it, as other cars of mine are symmetrical.

Back to German engineering - these guys clearly have their hearts in their engines and not on creature comforts, which is a wonderful thing for enthusiasts like us. It's a common Teutonic foible to be able to do incredibly clever engineering, yet miss some rather obvious points. That's probably one of the many reasons why WWII turned out the way it did.

Back in my recording studio days, we auditioned a used Studer 24 track tape machine. These beasts are designed to shuttle massive reels of 2" wide tape at extremely high speeds with great precision. This one did so with astonishing composure - smooth as glass, no shudder, no noise save for the whoosh of the spool. But then came time to maintain and calibrate. Very tricky, very finicky.

Our Japanese entrant, a brand new Otari, made more racket than my washing machine at home, but it was easy to keep in spec. For a shoestring budget like mine was, I needed bulletproof.

Nowadays the equation comes up differently. My wife gets a carefree Honda Odyssey, while I get a somewhat more demanding critter.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:31 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amfab
....Can someone tell me what those indentations which look like they are for optional electrical accessory switches, are for? The ones on the dashboard, one next to the ignition....
On my '94 993 cab there is a little dial with three markings: -1, 0, and +1. The switch adjusts the height of the headlight throw depending on whether you have passengers in the rear seats or/and a full trunk.
....and one next to the fog light/defroster switches...
Rear fog light switch...Gert sells a retrofit kit and there is a DIY on p-car.com.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Originally Posted by ron_dargenio
Sure, in the engine compartment on the right side, you'll see a large cap that is marked OEL, which means "Open for Engine Liquid".
It figures that every car in the world has a 710 cap, and Porsche has a 730 cap. They were always ahead of their time !

Peter R.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:44 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Any other quirky oddities lurking on our cars that you folks have found? I'm just curious more than anything else.
The rear fenders house the exhausts. To release the hot air accumulated in the top of these fenders, there is an opening at the fender tips between the fenders and the top of rear turn signals.
Look very closely at the top of the turn signals inside, curious design.
here are the gaps
Attached Images   
Old 06-03-2007, 06:37 PM
sonny1
Banned

Quirky is a car that you can take 4 hours or more to change spark plugs, with innumerable socket extensions, with a difficulty level that reaches a point where some people just give up on the 12th plug while you can remove both front headlight assembly without tools in less than 45 seconds.

Im sure the designer who came up with the headlight mechanism has been fired.

I will give Porsche this though, it only took less than 30 years to move the positive terminal of the battery more than 3/8 inch away from the body. The basic concept of turning the battery 180 degrees was a monumentally huge engineering breakthrough, I am sure other auto manufacturers were stunned at the technology leap.

And those window switches. Man they are on top of it! The old ones with the contacts that broke off the back all the time- they fixed that design in just over 10 years! Maybe they will fix the rocking point where they break by 2010. Although it would probably ential actually talking to Bosch.

The 8 way power seat switches, now thats something they can get to later, they are just SO durable, maybe after they tackle the enormous engineering task of designing a superceding cockpit floorboard/footboard part.

And the air conditioning, another lightning fast solution to complaints from customers. It took them under 30 years to get a solution that cools the cockpit down better that a penguin blowing through a straw. Stunningly fast revision.

Can someone tell me what those indentations which look like they are for optional electrical accessory switches, are for? The ones on the dashboard, one next to the ignition and one next to the fog light/defroster switches, they have been around forever.

-Andrew
It is better to have the + pole closer to the chassis than closer to the tank!!
Old 06-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Why did they put an "intensive washer" bottle above the ABS control unit so any leaks short-out a rather expensive bit of hardware?

Marc
Old 06-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on the comments here, during today's drive I made it a point to pay attention to where the center line of my steering wheel was vis a vis the centerline of the driver's seat. (cut to "Twilight Zone" music) OMG, they're not lined up! I feel so asymmetrical now.

Perhaps too much knowledge is dangerous at times.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:54 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Based on the comments here, during today's drive I made it a point to pay attention to where the center line of my steering wheel was vis a vis the centerline of the driver's seat. (cut to "Twilight Zone" music) OMG, they're not lined up! I feel so asymmetrical now.

Perhaps too much knowledge is dangerous at times.
That's right. And now you'll have the urge to sit crooked in every seat you
sit in!

BTW The steering wheel in my 2003 VW GTI doesn't seem perfectly on center
either.... (re enter Twilight Zone music)...
Old 06-04-2007, 12:05 AM
hyphenf15
Pro

How about the fact you must buy a special tool, or design one yourself, to replace the belts on the car. Love the sense of humor those German engineers have....I really enjoyed putting new spark plug wires on the car.

Quick Reply: Side mirrors not mounted symmetrically and other fun facts