Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird BLUP BLUP BLUP noise on start sometimes... is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:24 AM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm bringing up this old thread because it perfectly describes the sound I'm hearing. If the car had always made this sound, I would not be concerned. When something sounds like it is getting worse, that concerns me.

When I bought the car about 2 years ago, it did not make this gurgling sound. Then, about 8-10 months ago, I began to hear it for a split second on a cold start in the morning, but not every time. From then until now, it has gotten progressively more regular, and now it happens every time, and lasts several minutes after starting the car (cold starts only).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm - I hadn't started my car for over a week or so and the temp was in the 40's this afternoon. Started the car and heard this really weird sound in the back - almost like the engine was gulping something really hard. Kind of startled me enough to where I actually popped the hood to look. I thought maybe a belt had jumped especially since I had just performed the pulley update yesterday (not RS). I didn't see anything amiss so I drove to the florist anyway - no problemo. I HAD change the oil a couple weeks ago (0/40) + filters but have driven the car once or twice since then.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:08 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive heard it on any temperature morning, upon start....until i did my 19k mile oil change, then it went away, and now after 3.5k on the new oil/filters etc, its starting up again. wonder if the viscosity changes with age of the oil. i have heard it summer and winter on the old oil. 35-40degrees in Napa this am, one small gurgle. ...no clue. ds
Old 11-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Jetmech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I start my car....I hear Angels.......
Old 11-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetmech
When I start my car....I hear Angels.......
Old 11-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had this problem fixed by the dealer. You should ask your mechanic to check the radiator first.

Quick Reply: Weird BLUP BLUP BLUP noise on start sometimes... is this normal?