Sponsored by:

Big fan of the 993

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:37 AM
john0719
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big fan of the 993

I have always been a huge fan of the 993, especially the looks which I'm sure many of you will agree. Recently I have started my search for the 993 and came across two 1995 C2s. As I'm coming from the 996 GT3, other than the usual, can anyone tell me what problems to look for when I inspect and test drive the cars? TIA for any input.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:10 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 702 Likes on 420 Posts

Chech out the 993 article from Excellence a few months back. Do a search on it here, too, as there are several thread about the article.

-Jim
Old 05-14-2007, 10:27 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

IMHO, the '95s have some advantages being ODBI cars and won't set a CEL for the 'dreaded' SIA port issue.

Some upsides:
- OBD I (easier to located / build a decent code reader)
- does not set a CEL when SAI ports are plugged (does not seem to be a performance issue when plugged)

Some of the downsides:
- lower power output being pre vario-ram
- rear suspension suseptible to wag, plamed for some track crashes (about $2500 to replace all parts with 96+ components)

I'm sure there are many other things to consider. As far as stuff to look out for? Uh.. door check condition, ratteling hydraulic lifters/followers, does it have the steering brace installed (req. for 18"+ wheels) .

Fun cars, that's for sure!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Hey John,

You may want to check out the post from 5/9 called '1995 vs 96-98 993's' here in this forum, should be helpful.

Also, the I have found some of the best research is to go to the place on the PCA tech site where 993s are discussed and spend time pouring through all of the problems folks have w/ their cars...you will begin to see a lot of recurring themes, especially in the 'suspension' and 'engine' categories. Also, there are some good things to note in the 'Other' section I believe, where they discuss what to look for when buying.

Hope this helps, Rick
Old 05-14-2007, 10:50 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce

Some of the downsides:
- lower power output being pre vario-ram
- rear suspension suseptible to wag, plamed for some track crashes (about $2500 to replace all parts with 96+ components)
The power difference is mainly in the low end torque. Otherwise not much of a difference despite the posted factory figures. Besides the varioram models are 42lbs heavier than the 95 due to the weight of that varioram intake.

The rear suspension IMO should not be listed as a factual problem, I own 2 95's and have yet to have the problems that some have reported. Both have been driven hard on the track... On this one I think the jury is big time out...
Old 05-14-2007, 10:58 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DJF1
The power difference is mainly in the low end torque. Otherwise not much of a difference despite the posted factory figures. Besides the varioram models are 42lbs heavier than the 95 due to the weight of that varioram intake.

The rear suspension IMO should not be listed as a factual problem, I own 2 95's and have yet to have the problems that some have reported. Both have been driven hard on the track... On this one I think the jury is big time out...
That's good news, I'm not really all that fired up about dumping $2500 into replacing all the rear suspension parts... assuming mine are not worn out.. if they are, I might as well... if someone could determine if everything needs to be replaced (assuming the problem is real for the sake of debate) or just 1 or two parts that would be good. So far, that also seems to be a point of active debate.

My '95 *feels* a hell of a light lighter than my '90 does. 42lb + for the Varioram? WOW! That's a lot of weight. I'll take me few less low-end ft/lb.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:32 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the 993s available in Taiwan U.S. spec or Euro-spec like here in Hong Kong? If they are Euro-spec then if John L is referring to a MY95, that is equivalent to the MY96 stateside since the 993 was introduced as a 1994 model outside of the U.S. and Canada IIRC. Also I thought that all Euro-spec cars are OBDI...isn't it only U.S. cars that are OBDII from MY1996 onwards? Can anyone confirm this?
Old 05-14-2007, 11:37 AM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be in the silent minority here, but I have a hard time going backwards in car technology. Some day I may upgrade to a 996 GT3 OR TT. No rush though as the love afair with the 993 continues. Maybe it'll even be a 997 when the time comes to pull the trigger. Who knows.

Good luck with your search.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
+1. A few people have experienced handling issues that seem to be the cause of major crashes, but far more people, myslef included, have not had any issues with uncontrollable tail-wagging. The handling issues that I have had were isolated to driver ineptitude or incorrect suspension settings.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:06 AM
john0719
Racer

Originally Posted by David in LA
Are the 993s available in Taiwan U.S. spec or Euro-spec like here in Hong Kong? If they are Euro-spec then if John L is referring to a MY95, that is equivalent to the MY96 stateside since the 993 was introduced as a 1994 model outside of the U.S. and Canada IIRC. Also I thought that all Euro-spec cars are OBDI...isn't it only U.S. cars that are OBDII from MY1996 onwards? Can anyone confirm this?
I believe one is Euro spec while the other a U.S. spec. So more less, most people would prefer Euro spec because U.S. spec cars are usually tuned down a bit???
Old 05-15-2007, 01:08 AM
john0719
Racer

Originally Posted by 97Targa
I may be in the silent minority here, but I have a hard time going backwards in car technology. Some day I may upgrade to a 996 GT3 OR TT. No rush though as the love afair with the 993 continues. Maybe it'll even be a 997 when the time comes to pull the trigger. Who knows.

Good luck with your search.
I'm going backwards for the style and not the technology.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:23 AM
drgn2phnx
Intermediate

it would be nice and more fun to get a manual instead of an automatic/tiptronic 993c2
Old 06-03-2007, 02:28 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

check for:

suspension
cel
rust (esp by windhsield)
leakdown and compr (if you get to PPI)
check that all the stickers are where they are supposed to be
leaks, steering rack
obviously, make sure there is a history of good maintenance, and talk to whomever did the work if you can.

figure out if there are any must have options (that could also make car harder to find or more $$). Some people love the sport seats, some don't, for example.

figure out if you like the S wide butts or narrow butts. You will pay more for the widebody cars.

The 2S is a wide C2. The 4S has big red brakes, AWD from tt, susp from tt. Weighs a little more, but not much that 2S.

you are better off if you find a car with the suspension already done. Other nice mods are done by many of us, include turbo s ducts, aux oil coolers, front protection bars, etc.

You'll pay a premuim for low miles cars, and S cars (though, frankly, a 2K mile car is not worh it in my opinion, unless you are going to display it and not drive it). Are they any better? Nah, just the 4S adds I noted above, but if you are not tracking it, who cares? It is just an aesthetic difference.

Have fun.

Quick Reply: Big fan of the 993