Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Rolex Cosmograph Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:00 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Guys, do yourself a favor... Do not buy a SS Daytona for a premium.. It takes all the fun out of owning it. IMHO, part of the fun of owning a Daytona is getting one at list.
And, I really doubt that the premium on them will last forever. First off, every year, there are more and more and more of them, on the street. They are not limited in production and there is no clear end in sight of their production run.
I have watched the market on these watches for several years and despite what cnrfan has to say, it appears as though the premiums have come down since the height of the Daytona craze.

And the reason they have come down in price.. Because there are LOTS of them out there.. And dealers don't want to wait to get the high premiums on watches they know, are inflated in value and readily available. There are not many buyers on these watches for +10K.. You know how I know? Because every time I speak to any watch dealer, they always have one for sale for $10k or under.
Everyone has them.

And the trick to getting one at MSRP, be at the right place at the right time and be dilligent. They are considered a reward for people who buy a lot of watches, so find a way to send a lot of business to a local dealer..

Matter of fact, I have stopped wearing mine. It is now permanently fixed on the wrist of my fiancee. Why? Because a SS Daytona on a man is pretty common.. A SS Daytona on a lady, much sexier !!

B
Old 05-14-2007, 06:59 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still amazed at the popularity of Rolex vs other great watches such as the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, my personal favorite. Very very few people in the US even know what it is.
Ron
Old 05-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Rolex has superb marketing and a huge budget compared to the rest. It is an excellent product. There are many fine (and many finer) watches out there. Personally I think that Blancpain makes the best chronograph (Flyback) but only a few know about the brand.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:32 PM
cnrfan
Advanced

B-line,
I do not make the prices, and I'm used to people claiming they can get them for less. Fact is unauthorized dealers pay just under $11000 from wholesalers and that price is across the board, there is no such thing as a new SS Daytona for under that unless it is a dealer that is in need of quick cash or an authorized dealer willing to sell it at list price. As far as being a value or not is up to the buyer, and I have been waiting 10 years now for the market to slow down on this model, right now it is as strong as ever. Like I posted earlier, these are not rare watches, they are mass produced and have a huge following. There have been subtle dips in the value over the years but always ends up more expensive after a slow period. I noticed you said "despite what cnrfan says" and you have watched the market for years. This model is now more expensive than ever and I've been doing this full time for over 10 years. So while you "watch" the market I'll continue to work in it, every day, and do my best to keep up with current trends and be sure my information is accurate.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:54 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by cnrfan
Hey guys,
I own and operate one of the best online stores for Rolex (non-authorized dealer = great discounts) and will be happy to give any Rennlisters an even better deal than I normally sell for. Aaron
Aaron,

I find it interesting that you say, in the same breath, that you operate one of the "best" online stores for Rolex, yet you can't even get Daytona's at MSRP ??
If you were buying and selling that much volume, who ever you were buying your Rolex's from should be throwing Daytona's at you. Your a nobody. You move no volume, otherwise, you would have plenty of SS models.
And quoting an $11,500 price tag is an insult and a joke.

Anybody who knows anything about the way grey market dealers buy and sell watches, know, that you buy bulk Rolex's from dealers who need to move quantity to make quota. There is no WHOLESALE Rolex.. It's back door merchandise you buy from AD's. (ROLEX knows it goes on, but of course, they frown upon it.)

-- And, nobody buys DAYTONA'S from WHOLESALERS either. Every watch dealer has em, you are just trying to charge people for having it go through your hands when they can buy it direct, second hand, for $10K.

And you obviously don't do enough good business that you get stocks of Daytona's.. So people have to overpay you for watches that you are overpaying for. -- Every watch dealer in the country now has Daytona's in the safe.. WHOLESALE ROLEX DEALERS?? What are you talking about???
You mean GREY MARKET ROLEX DEALERS..

I wouldn't buy a bucket of water from you if I were on fire.
B

btw, I own two SS Daytona's, both MSRP, with my name on the slips, bought authorized.. How? Because I obviously know things that the "BEST" online Rolex guy doesn't know. How to use buying power to get difficult pieces.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:57 PM
B-Line
Drifting

btw CNR..

I have a brand new, in box, SS Daytona.. Want to buy it?
$11k
Old 05-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

:subscribed:
Old 05-14-2007, 09:37 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Seth,
Nice collection I'll take that ROO if it's in the way.....

Andreas
Old 05-14-2007, 09:39 PM
cnrfan
Advanced

WHOA B-line, slow down! I think your taking this all wayyyy to personally. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't set the prices and I'm not pushing anything on anybody, I just sell them as I get them. And as I said, I pay a little under $11000 on this model, so your asking $11000 even is a little too high. Authorized dealers tend to keep Daytona's aside for the customer's that they profit the most from, not saying that is you as I'm sure they like to give you everything at they're own cost or better. And you are right, I don't keep stock of Daytona's in SS, they are usually spoken for before they get in the shop. I'm not here to make enemies just chat and learn about our common interest in 993's, you'll see I did not start this thread. In conclusion, if I were next to you and you were on fire, I'd give you the water for FREE, no need to bring your wallet! See, I am a nice guy.
Aaron
Old 05-14-2007, 09:50 PM
B-Line
Drifting

LOL Cnr,

Fair enough...

I didn't mean to be a jerk.. Just watching the backs of my fellow R-listers. Welcome to the Forums and please make sure to give good deals to the members here, the money you spend with Rennlisters will come back to you times 10 in friendship and karma alone....

We really try (most of us) to keep this community as helpful to one another as possible. Again, sorry for my attack..

B
Old 05-14-2007, 10:26 PM
cnrfan
Advanced

Hey B-Line,
Thanks for the message, much apprecited and I fully understand trying to keep a tight-knit forum like this one protected. When this thread started yesterday I stated I would do better on any of my listed prices for Rennlister's and because I plan on hanging around this site for a long time to come and it seems there are tons of good people here. But please, nobody ask me for a SS Daytona!!!
Have a good one and thanks again for that last post, I hate confrontation!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Those of you that have too much spare change money I am now taking donations! You can send the money to my paypal account at webmaster@p-car.com :P
Old 05-14-2007, 11:17 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Seth -

Nice collection - I take it you like chronos
I love that Panny, it's just WAY too big for me personally.

Last edited by DocTock993; 05-14-2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old 05-15-2007, 12:39 AM
wayne993
Instructor

some of you guys are watch freaks!!!! Car guys... gotta love'em.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:28 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Thanks guys,

Yes, I like chrono's.. Especially if they Stainless Steel.. lol. The Panny is huge (47mm) and it's heavy as all hell but it's actually very comfortable to wear.

B

Quick Reply: OT: Rolex Cosmograph Daytona