Sponsored by:

Antenna booster.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:12 AM
SJB993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna booster.

Having a few AM radio reception issues, and one thing which might be the cause it the lead that runs between the antenna booster and the radio. When I got the car the antenna lead was sheered through about 3 inches from the plug that connects to the radio. I joined it back together using a high quality rf cable connector, and things were fine for a while.

I'm wondering whether the repair isn't quite good enough, and so I'm thinking of replacing the cable with a new one. BTW - I have checked that the lead that takes power to the booster is connected to the correct pin on the radio's connection.

My specific question is, I'm sure I've read here (or maybe it was the 964 forum) that RHD cars have the booster located in a different position, i.e. under the dash, rather than under the hood. Can anyone confirm this? PET shows two different part numbers, and my local OPC has confirmed the cables are different for LHD & RHD - maybe because of the different locations of the booster???

TIA.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:25 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Oh, this is an intesting thread. The antenna lead on my 964 is busted and I have zero AM and crappy FM reception. It sounds like I can replace it, is it easy? I to place a new connector on the end of the current cable but it did not seem to work.

I'm fairly sure that I have the correct power connections. What thread did you find the 964 info on, and have you tried to effect the repair yet on your 993?

THX!!
Old 05-13-2007, 03:43 PM
SJB993
Pro

Hi Fotovloce,

Maybe try a search in both the 993 and 964 using "antenna booster" or "radio reception" or something similar.

The dilemma I'm in that there are at least four reasons for the AM reception problem:-

1) The radio itself.
2) The connection from the windscreen to the antenna booster.
3) The antenna booster itself.
4) The connection from the antenna booster to the radio.

Since I know there was a problem with the cable between the booster and the radio (i.e. it was cut in two, and I repaired it), that'll be my first port of call. I believe the booster in RHD cars is in the space between the lugggage compartment metal work and that of the passager compartment somewhere down beneath the fusebox (on the passenger side in LHD cars) and that it's a real pain in the butt to get at. I'm hoping that RHD cars are different, and that it is more accessible being under the dash somewhere behind the instrument cluster.

So, does anyone know where it is in RHD cars?

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:51 PM
SJB993
Pro

In recognition of a post a while back about spelling and grammar ........

I've just re-read my post above. How many times have you sent a post or an email only to notice after it had gone that you'd made stupid typo errors????? What's a "passager" I hear you saying. I also note that at least two words are missing all together. ;o(

Apologies to all the English language/grammar purists out there (I'm something of a pedant when it comes to the English language, and so I'm thoroughly ashamed of myself). ;o)

Anyway guys, come on, where's the antenna booster in a RHD 993?

TIA.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:33 PM
asimler
Racer

Mine is right behind the clock. Lever the clock out and you should see a small black box and two leads going into - theres little else there except for 2 relays so you cant miss it!! btw my car is a '94 964.

Good luck - would like to know if you solve this as I have the exact same problem.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:03 PM
goldengun
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hey chaps... i'm the same position

just changed my head-unit and now radio reception has totally gone... interested if anyone has guidance... will keep you updated if i learn anything.

Last edited by goldengun; 05-21-2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-22-2007, 04:45 AM
SJB993
Pro

Goldengun,

When you replaced your head unit, did you make a connection from the radio to the lead that powers the antenna booster? There's a black wire that's wound around the antenna lead, and this should be connected to a power output from the radio - the radio output to use is the one for powered antennae (it's usually used to power antennae with motors to extend/retract them). Hope this helps.

BTW - I fixed my problem at the weekend. As I said in my post I had to repair the antenna lead which was sheared when I got the car, and that repair was the problem. I re-did it an all is now OK.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 AM
cyinisis
Advanced

I would imagine you can make your own antenna using the car's chassis for much cheaper...
Old 05-22-2007, 06:13 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SJB993
Goldengun,

When you replaced your head unit, did you make a connection from the radio to the lead that powers the antenna booster? There's a black wire that's wound around the antenna lead, and this should be connected to a power output from the radio - the radio output to use is the one for powered antennae (it's usually used to power antennae with motors to extend/retract them). Hope this helps.

BTW - I fixed my problem at the weekend. As I said in my post I had to repair the antenna lead which was sheared when I got the car, and that repair was the problem. I re-did it an all is now OK.
How did you repair the antenna coax? I've tried a couple of times and soldering did not want to work, and the crimp-on end that I tried is just as bad with more noise on AM and FM both than if maybe I had no antenna at all. :/

I now it will work when the wire is in good shape, the same head unit I had was picking up Seattle radio stations in mountains between Nevada and Oregon.. and it was so good I thought it was a Reno or Redding station until I heard the Seattle callsign! :0 On AM of course. Right now I can't listen to anything except my now very boring iPod playlists on my commute. Any tips on the physical repair of the cable is appreciated!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:14 AM
SJB993
Pro

I used a high quality co-ax connector - the type that is used here in the UK on cables that connect between satellite TV dishes and the satellite receiver box (see the pictures below - you need two of the first type, one for the two ends of the antenna lead, and one of the second type to join them together). Unlike normal RF co-ax connectors, they screw together rather than being push-fits. Radio Shack in the U.S. should stock them

The biggest PITA is the centre core of the antenna lead - it's not much wider in diameter than a human hair! You need to make sure the cable's screening braid is kept well away from the core wire, and that the core wire is fed into the connector's core terminal properly. It's a bit fiddly - but you'll get there with perseverance. Good Luck!
Attached Images   
Old 05-22-2007, 12:01 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Excellent. And thank you for the pictures... for me, they are worth a 1000 words! That center wire is what keeps screwing me up. This patch/extension method should solve two problems for me. The busted wire AND how short it is now since I've tried two other repairs. I'm tempted to put a screw type coax connector on the back of the head unit and be done with all of it, LOL.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:49 PM
SJB993
Pro

One advantage of these connectors is that the sleeve that receives the cable is threaded - you peel back the screening braid and then screw the sleeve onto it. It's much better than the crimping insert you get with regular co-ax connectors.

Here's wishing you success!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:59 AM
goldengun
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SJB993
Goldengun,

Thanks - the info above is very useful... but i'm sorry to say I need a bit more help. I did see the power connection for the antenna booster - that was connected to the ISO connector so i think that is ok. However, the old head-unit used an antenna adaptor which i had to remove (as the connetion on the new head-unit did not require it).

Here's the strangest thing - i realised last night that the level of interference i get on the radio actually changes when i turn the head-lights on! So, when i turn the dipped lights on (e.g. for normal night driving), i get increased static on the radio.... its as if the headlights are draining away power from the booster or something ?!

Thanks for your advice above - any more thoughts/guidance would be much appreciated...
Old 05-23-2007, 07:20 AM
SJB993
Pro

Might be worth checking that the antenna booster power lead is tapped off from the A5 pin on the ISO connector. This is the power supply that can be used for aerials with motorised lift/retract.

Also, since you've removed the DIN to ISO aerial connector adaptor, it would be worth checking that the outer part of the aerial connector is making good contact with the case of the radio.

Clutching at straws here ........ Are you testing the radio with the car in the open air, or in your garage? If it's the latter, try it with the car outside. Do you get interference on FM and AM?

Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:08 AM
goldengun
Intermediate

Haven't checked AM yet - will do so this evening...

I tested the radio both in the garage and out on the way to work today.... reception slightly worse in the garage but that is to be expected i guess...

will check the pin on the ISO but i think it is ok, as the old head-unit was working fine...

its the link to the headlights that really seems odd... the headunit has a small cable coming out of the back which connects to the car's antenna cable - connection seems to be ok but will have to double check... do you think maybe using the coax socket in the picture above might help ?

Quick Reply: Antenna booster.