Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Installing Recaro Sport Toplines & Schroth Profi 2 & Profi 2 HANS 6 pts.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 12:15 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Installing Recaro Sport Toplines & Schroth Profi 2 & Profi 2 HANS 6 pts.

As per my saga posted here: Installation saga I finally have my cashmere Porsche leather Recaro Sport Topline seats.

Pics for installation

Basically, there is a spot under the thigh bolster where one can cut a hole for the anti-sub belt. Doing this eliminates a tab that holds down the leather, so I mounted a little plastic loop and ziptied the leather in place of the plastic tab. I made sure to make the hole long enough to allow 2 belts and wide enough to allow the hardware associated with them. I can post better pics of someone is interested.

These seats are cushier and the stock ones, so the standard long BK mounts for harnesses dent into the seat too much. I mounted the shorter ones instead...sort of a hassle to use, but don't mess up the seats so much.

I bought grade 12 longer bolts since the install kit on the sliders wasn't right. Then mounted the sliders to the seat and the seat to the floor. I set them where I woud be sitting, then measured according to the Schroth guidelines for the 2" back from straight down from the hole.

Then I moved the DME out of the way and cut two holes in the metal pan to allow for the eye bolts to poke through. Then I drilled & mounted the eyebolts. One the passenger side I turned the amp upside down & sideways to fit without moving the other electronics under the seat. Then I did the same drilling & Dremeling there.

I ran the sub belts to the eyebolts, and then adjusted the size (several times...argf). I mounted the shoulder straps to my DAS bar, using the LV4 (I think that is the number) to wrap the belts flush to the bar so the seats can be further back without a bracket/slider out in front of the bar.

I used the new 2" HANS specific Profi 2 H on the driver and a standard Profi 2 on the passenger. Both these are 2" sub & lap belts, and the standard is a 3" shoulder harness.

Couple of things to note:

Be sure to sit in the seat and make sure the belt holes are in a good spot for your shoulders, esp if using HANS. They seem to be higher than standard, so if you are short, they might not work for you.

The spacer bars included in the install kit are not needed.

The BK fire extinguisher mounts are meant for stock seats and apparently won't work on after market. At least that is what I have been told. I'll be remounting my extinguisher on the rollbar.

Because of the low clearance of the aftermarket seat, I don't see how any bars would fit. Additionally, they most likely wouldn't be in the right spot to be 2" back from the hole (the right mounting spot). This is why ended up drilling. Even if I could get a bar, with the wrong angle I don't think they would function as designed.

So, despite the drama, these aren't so bad to modify. The in and out to measure and get the spot to drill right was a PITA and nerve wracking, but worked out fine.

This is overall a good compromise for streetable seats with an anti sub mount. They are not race shells, so I would never club race and such, but I'm comfy with them as street / DE.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Installing Recaro Sport Toplines & Schroth Profi 2 & Profi 2 HANS 6 pts.