Sponsored by:

Tri-State NY "Spring Is Not Over" Meet & Drive - June 10th

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
LawmanF350, nice job on the video, I love that road! I'm going to start mapping out some new routes for later in the summer. There are some great roads in Western NJ and Upstate NY. If we get a big enough participation maybe we can break into groups and meet at a central place for lunch and key stops to gather. One idea is to get more groups such as Boxsters, 993, 996, 997, Turbo, etc...for a better representation of each type. Arwinn, are you up to planning another one before Labor Day? Any more volunteers???

Great idea. It was tough being in such a large group and once the cops got involved it made it hard to keep together. A little detour for some of us but the directions were key.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is a great idea to post on other groups. I think that's part of the fun, seeing all the diff. cars. I bet your response would be huge.

Right now it is understood that all are welcome by those who read the thread, but I bet some never make it that far because they think it is an exclusive 993 run.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:52 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
Any more volunteers???
I can scout a lot of roads through the Shawangunks and the Catskills - lots of twisties, great views, little traffic.

I'll send you a PM with a few maps.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:08 AM
bigimp65
Advanced

another great run guys. my kids missed this one...they wont make that mistake again. much thanks to arrwin and bob.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys,

First off, I want to thank everyone for coming out despite the threatening weather. I expected 50% of you guys to show up, but rather almost everyone showed up. We had some drizzle during the run, but when we made our stop by the water at Cornwall on the Hudson, it was beautiful! Couldn't have been better timing. The roads were excellent with not too much traffic, albeit a few roving authorities. It was definitely a challenge trying to keep 40+ fast Porsches together, but I think we came out fairly well. I'm really glad everyone had a good time and a BIG thanks for Bob for leading and doing multiple recon runs of the route.

I have no problems organizing another run in the near future, unless of course someone else wants to take a stab at it.

There are some great suggestions here that we can incorporate on the next one:

1. If we get a big enough participation maybe we can break into groups and meet at a central place for lunch and key stops to gather. - I thought of this as well as 40+ cars becomes unmanagable at times. A smaller group is also less of a target for authorities (usually). It turns out that we naturally end up into smaller groups anyway with the result of lights, other cars, authorities, etc., so this is definitely a great idea.

2. One idea is to get more groups such as Boxsters, 993, 996, 997, Turbo, etc...for a better representation of each type. - The Meet was actually posted in all of the other Rennlist forums, albeit not aggressively. We already had 40+ cars just mainly posting on the 993 forum, I wouldn't know what to do with 100+ cars. We'd have to find another meeting place! If we break everyone into smaller groups we should be OK.

3. I was also thinking of setting up the parking in groups of it's model, concour style. Although, this may be difficult, how cool will it look to see and compare your beauty with your neighbors?!

4. Another suggestion is if we could be provided the route before we actually meet, I may be able to either convert to a standard format for GPS units or plot it out on something like Google Maps so we can minimize people getting lost.
Great suggestion!

So....when do you guys want to have the next Run?? I definitely sense Fall is way overdue, so how about Sunday, July 1st?

Also...my pics are coming!

Last edited by Arrwin; 06-12-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

I can't do July 1 - I'm out of the country for the 4th of July weekend, and I think others might be travelling well. There may also be more traffic on the roads, since some people are taking the days before the 4th as vacation, and others the days after. So I would stay away from the 1st and the 8th as possible dates
Old 06-12-2007, 01:44 PM
inactiveuser6117
AutoX

Arrwin,

I may have mentioned this at the meet, but let me point out again that if the drives are more frequent, people won't try as hard to make it to every single one. You'll naturally get less participation for any given run (addressing your concern about the meet being too large) yet you'll also be able to get more diversity (different people can make different days).

I'm not looking to volunteer your efforts on your behalf. I know that coordinating more drives would be a lot of work. Please feel free to call upon me to help you out in coordinating these things if you'd like.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ark3
Arrwin,

I may have mentioned this at the meet, but let me point out again that if the drives are more frequent, people won't try as hard to make it to every single one. You'll naturally get less participation for any given run (addressing your concern about the meet being too large) yet you'll also be able to get more diversity (different people can make different days).

I'm not looking to volunteer your efforts on your behalf. I know that coordinating more drives would be a lot of work. Please feel free to call upon me to help you out in coordinating these things if you'd like.
Good point and one I forgot to mention. I do remember us talking about this at the meet. I guess we'll need to be more diligent in setting up more frequent runs. I know there is a HUGE meet every Saturday morning at Captree that i've always been looking to check out. They have 500+ cars there I hear. Perhaps we can set up a little caravan there. I'm in Queens, so not difficult to meet up with you LI guys.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Hi Arwin,

Another suggestion is if we could be provided the route before we actually meet, I may be able to either convert to a standard format for GPS units or plot it out on something like Google Maps so we can minimize people getting lost.

If you like, I can start investigating the options. I used to have software that did this, but deleted it because I never got a chance to put it to use.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,424 Likes on 824 Posts

Id love to do another drive soon, if im still invited.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck A.
Hi Arwin,

Another suggestion is if we could be provided the route before we actually meet, I may be able to either convert to a standard format for GPS units or plot it out on something like Google Maps so we can minimize people getting lost.

If you like, I can start investigating the options. I used to have software that did this, but deleted it because I never got a chance to put it to use.
Good idea as well and another that was mentioned and ANOTHER I forgot to mention. I will add it to the list above. Not sure how many have GPSs, but it would be great for those that do and i'm sure they'd be grateful if you are able to convert the format.

I would be nice to provide the directions in advance for people to look over beforehand and not during a white-knuckle switchback. But in order to do so w/o posting it publicly, i'd have to email or PM it individually. Can't think of another way.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:45 PM
LC997C4s
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

ark3 - sent you a PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Originally Posted by Arrwin
...Not sure how many have GPSs...
Well I played around with Google Maps at lunch time and I can manually create a map with way-points and a highlighted route. So at a minimum, we can print that out and give it to everyone once they arrive at the meeting point.

So if you have a route in mind for the next "Meet & Drive" you can e-mail it to me beforehand and I can create the map and print it.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:59 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F350Lawman
Here's a 5 minute clip of the best part of the run. This was after the rain, on the way to lunch.

I am following someone?? in a black 993.

VIDEO
A video says alot more than words.

Thx F350Lawman.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:09 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Good point and one I forgot to mention. I do remember us talking about this at the meet. I guess we'll need to be more diligent in setting up more frequent runs. I know there is a HUGE meet every Saturday morning at Captree that i've always been looking to check out. They have 500+ cars there I hear. Perhaps we can set up a little caravan there. I'm in Queens, so not difficult to meet up with you LI guys.
A bit exaggerated at 500+

But a large turn out of awesome cars none the less

Plus Captree wised up. They're charging admission into the parking lot.

So some groups have moved to other parking lots

Next time I head out there, I'll give you a holler

Quick Reply: Tri-State NY "Spring Is Not Over" Meet & Drive - June 10th