Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of the cab after wetsanding - It's like a mirror!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody know of any SoCal resources for color sanding? Is it way better than clay, but more invasive? Should it be reserved for extreme cases? Ideally, I'd like somebody with both techniques available, and an objective assessment, without a vested interest in either method. Can my body man do this? (then new stone guards!) Is someone like Brace's overqualified?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:48 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Louis she looks hotttttttt !!!!!!!

Folks keep in mind this wet sanding is not a paint maintenance but a paint restoration . I would only do this if the clear coat is beyond cut and polish restoring otherwise you realize your taking sandpaper to the finish and you are shaving thickness off the finish coat ( clear coat ) and you can only do that so often and your down to the paint .
Also you have to be experience and VERY patient doing this procedure .You should measure the paint and do a test spot and asses the amount of aggressivenessse to restore the finish . You only want to go as agressive as need be to keep as much clear coat protection on .
A good body shop will also do thisto fresh painted cars to get rid of the "orange peel ' affect . They will charge for it too . Boris quote one guy here $1800 to fix his paint fiasco from another body shop . It`s labour intense and he has to pay his guys .

Cheers Guy
Old 05-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something to be said for living in the country. My body shop did a great job on mine.....$250 total! lol.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,222 Likes on 1,855 Posts

Originally Posted by briefescape
Hey Louis she looks hotttttttt !!!!!!!

Folks keep in mind this wet sanding is not a paint maintenance but a paint restoration . I would only do this if the clear coat is beyond cut and polish restoring otherwise you realize your taking sandpaper to the finish and you are shaving thickness off the finish coat ( clear coat ) and you can only do that so often and your down to the paint .
Also you have to be experience and VERY patient doing this procedure .You should measure the paint and do a test spot and asses the amount of aggressivenessse to restore the finish . You only want to go as agressive as need be to keep as much clear coat protection on .
A good body shop will also do thisto fresh painted cars to get rid of the "orange peel ' affect . They will charge for it too . Boris quote one guy here $1800 to fix his paint fiasco from another body shop . It`s labour intense and he has to pay his guys .

Cheers Guy
Guy:
My car certainly didn't require anything near restoration as you well know, since you've seen my car and know the finish was near perfect before hand. I got my car wetsanded, as many others do, simply to improve the condition of the finish. Yes, I'm a perfectionist and like me, I know people who have done it to new cars because they're not happy with the orange peel from factory on their $100k+ cars. This is not something you want to do every couple of months, in fact I would see it as a one-time deal, but there is no detriment to doing it and I think you're over-dramatizing and exaggerating the issue. As you pointed out yourself, this is part of the prep process for high end body shops before delivering a freshly sprayed car, so more than likely, those who have had partial or full resprays have had their cars wetsanded...they just wouldn't know it because it's part of the process. Even Boris from Korva, whom you seem to know, would not be hardpressed to recommend wetsanding. Boris has worked on my cars for years and in fact, he's the one who suggested I get it done.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:38 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Hey Louis was not implying your car`s paint was not in good condition but I was trying to state to folks like dcdude68 who ask " is it better than claying ? " it is a more abrasive procedure
I don`t think I was over dramatizing it sorry if you thought so . Don`t be so sensitive

Cheers Guy
Old 05-09-2007, 10:50 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Btw wet sanding is not a routine procedure after painting a high end car there`s plenty of other avenues to choose from , for instant you should see what can be done with wool pads and good surface leveling compound . Wet sanding is about as aggresive procedure as you can go . I know a bit about detailing .

Cheers Guy

Quick Reply: Pics of the cab after wetsanding - It's like a mirror!!!