Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Curious: Any one still using a Colgan Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:21 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Curious: Any one still using a Colgan Bra?

With the advancements in the plastics used by the 3m and others is anyone still using the factory proven, old fashioned Colgan Bra?
My soon to be delivered C4S with Aero package has the 3m all over the front and lower sills, but I was wondering if the Colgan creates more problems than the protection it gives?
All comments are welcome.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:31 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

here is a posting i made a few years ago. yes.. they create more problems than protection. :

as pete mentioned, i know the pros and cons of hood bras all too well.

bras are really good, when worn correctly, and at the right times, and the owner uses his best judgment.

i was always great about being carful, and making sure not to have it on when it rained. i goofed one time.

the heat under the black bra, caused the metal to get really hot. the water from the rain got under the bra. no matter what kind of bra you use, this can happen, whether it be magnetic, or vynal, leather, whatever.

here is a message from a post i made a few mos ago.

ive always taken my bra off when done driving. and rarely drive in the rain. when i was at the south east 912 registry event in april.. it rained. the one time i leave my bra on, in the rain, in the 5 years i have owned her and this happens.

luckily, after alot of wax and elbow grease, the paint seems to be coming back. this is the right front fender. no waxing.

this is the front left fender after alot of waxing and elbow grease. (both fenders were equally as bad) all i can say is im lucky it can be brought back, but i have alot of waxing to do! hopfully my arms wont fall off when im finnished, so that i can at least enjoy and drive her!

LEARN A VERY IMPORTANT LESSON FROM THIS!!!!!!!!
I KNOW I HAVE!!!!

only have the bra on when its nice.. rain will cause whitening (moisture baked into the paint, as you see above), and also if you leave the bra on there when not driving, any moisture underneath can cause rust. take it off after each time you have driven it, or when it is raining.. no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (again.. look at the pics above.. hopfuly they will scare sense into everyone, and this message can teach others the hard lesson i personally learned)

bras are not a bad thing. they can do alot to protect paint. BUT when used in correctly
they will cause more harm than good. use common sense and you will be fine.

btw.. what did i have to do to fix my paint....
alot of time, elbow grease, patience, prayer, ulcers (about worrying about an immaculate paint job done in 1983, that cost $6k when it was done, was ruined.) it is not 100%, and i doubt it can ever be brought back 100%, as if you look really closely you can still tell.

we got it to about 90% back, using 3m rubbing compound, 3m glaze, polishing compound, and zymol.. alot of work. still not 100% but this is a pic after we fixed it... took many weeks and lots of work.

btw i still do use my car Bra. it does help alot against chips, bugs, etc.. however.. using a bra is kind of like going out drinking...
if you act responsibly, you will have no problems. if you dont act responsible, you will be in deep ****. bras can do more harm than good, if one is not responsible.

please excuse the rant, but i hope this can really help you out. please, learn from my mistake!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:32 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I purchased one to protect my '95 on the drive from Seattle to Baltimore. When I arrived at the seller's house and saw how much of the car was wrapped, I decided against using the bra. Five days later I arrived home, with no additional chips in the paint.

The clear protection was quite a few years old and starting to discolor, so I removed all of it a few months ago. It came off without an issue and revealed pristine paint underneath. I have yet to reapply, as the car is not a daily driver and is typically kept far behind other cars.

I've used a an old-school bra on former cars and found them to be more of a hassle then anything else. They can only be attached when the car is squeaky clean, lest you trap dirt under the cloth backing. When driving, most bras with move or flap in certain spots. With time, this will start leaving rub marks. Also, the cloth backing is very difficult to clean properly, and seems to always contain some random dirt or grit.

Stay with the clear stuff - it works. The entire nose of my car looks like this partial shot - thanks to the since-removed clear protection:

Andreas
Old 05-07-2007, 10:18 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts

Do not use a bra - it's an inferior product. They can cause clouding as shown above and scratch the paint either via blown sand getting underneath (which turns the bra into sand paper) or buffeting at high speed. My company used to manufacture them in the 80's when they were popular and although we sold thousands due to demand, I never used one on my own car, other than for photographic sessions...and I could just grab one out of inventory at any time, if I wanted to...

The new films do a great job of actually preserving the paint, which was the idea of the original bras.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 05-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only use mine on the track. I use 3-4 rows of painters tape accross the top edge of the hood & fenders, so any dirt that gets under doesn't hurt the paint. I make sure the car and bra are clean and never use it in the rain. I already have chips, so it's not worth using the clear film. The bra helps it from getting any worse.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

the PO gave me a Colgan Bra, and I had been using it, but after reading this thread, I will use it more sparingly.

Quick Reply: Curious: Any one still using a Colgan Bra?