Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NA vs 993TT vs 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:16 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really notice I have to keep the rev's up in the 3500+ range to wring the performance out of the car.
if this is the real issue, then just stick to 5th gear. i haven't shifted into 6th in a year. 80 mph (my highway cruizing speed) in 5th gear is just about 3500 rpm...if you need to kick it to 130, you will already be in the powerband. a board member let me test out his 993TT once. the boost is intoxicating, but i'm not sure it would make a good daily driver.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,153 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
funny how we all think about some of the same things.... here is a list from my recent porsche dreams at night...

- 997 GT3 new dream car, but far too expensive
- 996 GT3 probably the next best thing, prices have come down quite a bit, still dont like the 996 looks, and my son could NEVER take a ride with daddy (no back seat)
- 993 TT the ultimate aircooled development, still very expensive, would I miss the NA sounds, not too "responsible" to drop $70k+ on a 10 yr old car
- 996 TT just so easy fast... a GT...so many of them out there, not unqique, too cushy... HOWEVER, a modern day supercar with crazy performance and still the same bottom engine, hard to argue with the package
- 997S drove it, loved the fat NA HP/torque available, more fun then when I drove the 996tt or 993tt because I could really hear/feel what was going on with the engine, hate the scattegory dash layout with forced navigation, etc... .also so common, everyone has one, nothing "special" about it

All of these (sans 997 GT3) could be had not too far from $70k, so they sit in the same price band...
You hit the nail in the head, though I wouldn't have a problem dropping $70k on a 10 y/o car.

Aside from all the great attributes of each car, ultimately one's circumstances need to be taken into account. I'm in the minority sticking with a 3.6 but it works for me because I like to use the car daily and I live/work downtown so I rarely leave the area. My saving grace is three bridges that are blocks away from where I live, but otherwise, I don't get the room to bring the car to speed every day. In this scenario, the 3.6 does well enough.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:48 PM
aperalta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nothing like the smell of oil from an air cooled pcar--uniquely Porsche! Aesthetically, the nicest pcar to look at, especially the wide body 993tt (as mentioned earlier, its your opinion that matters most).
Old 05-05-2007, 05:42 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
if this is the real issue, then just stick to 5th gear. i haven't shifted into 6th in a year. 80 mph (my highway cruizing speed) in 5th gear is just about 3500 rpm...if you need to kick it to 130, you will already be in the powerband. a board member let me test out his 993TT once. the boost is intoxicating, but i'm not sure it would make a good daily driver.
Actually the PO already swapped out 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. My old stock 5th gear is now my 6th. Even so, I find some corners, where I would like to stay in say 2nd and power out from 1500 rpm is lacking torque. Downshifting to first puts me at a higher rpm than I would like while staying in 2nd puts me at a point on the torque curve that isn't the best. So during hard driving, I end up shifting more than I would like just to keep the revs up. I find the best pull from my 993 is when I keep the rpms above 3500. I think this issue would be solved with a TT.

Quick Reply: NA vs 993TT vs 996TT