Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NA vs 993TT vs 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:44 PM
BlkC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also in the C4S to TT club. I don't regret it at all.

The only problem with the TT is how quickly you get to lose-your-license speed.

I looked at a 996GT3, 996TT, and a 993TT. I still liked the 993 best, but they're all great cars and to each his own. Mine is a weekend/fun car. Perhaps if it was a daily driver I would have a different opinion, but somehow I doubt it.

I was tempted by the 996GT2 but prices were still quite a bit higher.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:20 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

this is a fantastic question and i couldnt have asked it better... it has been on my mind a lot lately.... switching to a different porsche as a weekend fun driver... i love the smell, character, sound and grunt of my C2S... but the 996 GT3, 996tt and 993tt are all very interesting too.... hell, even the 9977S is even becoming very compelling at the $70k mark... having driven one, very addictive strong NA engine
Old 05-04-2007, 06:59 PM
lthatch
Racer

Honestly, you guys are reading my thoughts...I have driven NA 993s as daily seasonal drivers for 9 years. My current car is a 98C2S with much good stuff: M030 ROW, LWFC, G50-21 transmission, and is a very balanced and reliable performer. Nevertheless, I've been chasing tts for years and am flying to Las Vegas next week to drive an RS-tuned 96 and, hopefully, an 04 GT3. Icing on the cake would be to meet up with a couple of other R-listers who have a modified 996tt and a NA Andial 3.8.
I can relate to the issues of handling, power-to-weight ratios, and the utterly hypnotizing beauty of the 993 design.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:14 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I assumed you have driven the turbos. If you drove one, it's hard to resist the added power and torque. If you do track work, the power becomes all the more usable. For the streets, one rarely needs all that power.

As for the 996tt, it's a better daily driver. Better AC and modern comfort. I chose the 993 (a Ruf BTR in my case) because of the looks and the air-cooled engine. I don't think I could ever warm up to a 996 (tt or GT3) because of the front end look. If I get another Carrera, it'll be a 997 GT3.

Now for another consideration, how about a base Cayman with a 3.8L X50 transplant. Mind Over Motorsport in San Diego can get the engine for $18k. Say $5k install, and $46k (new) for the base car, you now have $70k in a car that can keep up with the turbos, but a much sweeter handling car at that. And that would add variety to the Carrera. I will do a 3.8L X50 in my Cayman after my warranty runs out.

CP
Old 05-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

If your gonna track the car hard, get the 996tt, it is MUCH cheaper to overhaul the motor or buy a crate motor. Rebuilding a 993tt is mucho bucks - ask me how I know.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like the guys said you'll probably want to drive an example of each of the cars.
The choice should match how you plan to use the car.
For me, it's great being able to smoke SC'd chevys but the people w/ GT3's have more fun at the track than I do.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Tom Pepper
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wanted a more powerful and more contemporary model, so I started looking for an affordable "perfect" 996tt. It took about a year but I found and bought a low mileage black Tip 996tt. I love the car...I love the Tip. The Turbo is all I expected and it is amazing to look at. It is truly flawless. The Turbo motor is based on our 964 GT1 block but with water cooled heads. Unlike the NA 996, this is a STRONG and reliable motor. Perhaps the last of the great Porsche motors, except for the similar GT3 engine. Unfortunately, I am going to have to sell it and keep the 993 which I have owned since "day one".

I have not advertised it anywhere and just decided on this recently.

If you would like more information let me know via PM and I will discuss all the details.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 05-05-2007, 01:11 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

As usualy, excellent advice. But now I have more options to consider than I originally asked about. But that is a good thing. If I were to trade the C4S, it would have to be for a car with as much character as this one has. A 997 GT3 is out of my price range. The 993TT and 996TT's are becoming very appealing. I'm still a fan of the 993 body style and the 997 body style. But the prices I'm seeing for some of the 996TT's with the full X50 package is making me think twice. One I looked at was the same price as a 993TT but had 15k miles versus 45k and the X50 option.

I track my cars only 2 to 3 times a year so this is not an overriding issue in the decision. If I could have the perfect car, it would be my C4S with 380 to 400 HP. I guess that leaves SC'ing as an option but I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to just get a TT.

I rode in a 996TT but never in a 993TT and have driven neither. What's driving my thoughts about trading is when I get out of my daily M5 into the C4S, I really notice I have to keep the rev's up in the 3500+ range to wring the performance out of the car. I really had not paid much attention to that before the M5. Not taking anything from the C4S. Everyone thinks the car is very fast, and actually it is; it's just the low end torque I really wish it had. But it is what it is, a great Porsche with 280+ HP, and 250 ft/lbs of torque. I knew that when I bought it. Some of you rightly point out that you really can't take full advantage of a TT on the street. In fact my wife asks me why I need a 400HP car that can run 180mph and I tell her it's not that I will, it's knowing that I can. Besides I get enjoyment in those 80-130-80 bursts. Opportunities for those quick runs are fairly easy to find.

At this point, I think the best thing for me is to take your advice and get behind the wheel of each of them, talk to someone who has SC'd a 993 and give it some thought.

thanks again
Old 05-05-2007, 01:28 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 242 Posts

sc thread here..

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=tiptronic
Old 05-05-2007, 01:40 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Good link. Is TPC the only supplier for superchargers for the 993? Is an intercooler still required as with the turbo? One thing I like with the C4S is no tail. I love the tail on my SC but like the C4S lines without one.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:44 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
What's driving my thoughts about trading is when I get out of my daily M5 into the C4S, I really notice I have to keep the rev's up in the 3500+ range to wring the performance out of the car. I really had not paid much attention to that before the M5. Not taking anything from the C4S. Everyone thinks the car is very fast, and actually it is; it's just the low end torque I really wish it had. But it is what it is, a great Porsche with 280+ HP, and 250 ft/lbs of torque. I knew that when I bought it. Some of you rightly point out that you really can't take full advantage of a TT on the street. In fact my wife asks me why I need a 400HP car that can run 180mph and I tell her it's not that I will, it's knowing that I can. Besides I get enjoyment in those 80-130-80 bursts. Opportunities for those quick runs are fairly easy to find.
If you have an M5, the NA 993 will feel wimpy. I also had an M5. Traded rides with Pin (993 C4S with PSS9s) and fell in love with the handling and driving dynamics. But the low-torque (relatively speaking) bugs me. So I started looking at 993tt, then the Turbo S. Finally got a Ruf BTR. You guessed it, HP and torque is never a problem again.

Happy hunting.

CP
Old 05-05-2007, 01:51 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Good link. Is TPC the only supplier for superchargers for the 993? Is an intercooler still required as with the turbo? One thing I like with the C4S is no tail. I love the tail on my SC but like the C4S lines without one.
http://www.tpcracing.us/products/
Old 05-05-2007, 01:55 AM
Tania W
Racer

Good thread, and nice to hear I'm not the only one with the "what will I get next" dilema.
I love my C4S and thought I would keep it forever. I've driven a 996 C4S and it was a great car, but I can't get past the 996 looks. I'd rather stick with my 993. I also drove an early GT3. Great for track use, but I couldn't live with it on our local roads. It felt alive and responsive but the suspension was way too firm and "crashy" on anything other than a smooth motorway (don't know if it was just that particular car or all GT3s)
Now, the 997 GT3 is my dream car. I've read that the ride is a bit more compliant than the 996 version, and it is by far the best looking 911 since the 993. Haven't driven one (yet) but at the moment it is the only car I would consider to replace my C4S.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking for track friendliness then a GT3 is a better tool. Plus, the 8K rpm will be a song to your ears.

GT3 should also cost less in upkeep... RL member "Old Guy" made the switch from a TT to a GT3 and enjoyed the change. His car is for sale now.

Good luck.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:11 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

funny how we all think about some of the same things.... here is a list from my recent porsche dreams at night...

- 997 GT3 new dream car, but far too expensive
- 996 GT3 probably the next best thing, prices have come down quite a bit, still dont like the 996 looks, and my son could NEVER take a ride with daddy (no back seat)
- 993 TT the ultimate aircooled development, still very expensive, would I miss the NA sounds, not too "responsible" to drop $70k+ on a 10 yr old car
- 996 TT just so easy fast... a GT...so many of them out there, not unqique, too cushy... HOWEVER, a modern day supercar with crazy performance and still the same bottom engine, hard to argue with the package
- 997S drove it, loved the fat NA HP/torque available, more fun then when I drove the 996tt or 993tt because I could really hear/feel what was going on with the engine, hate the scattegory dash layout with forced navigation, etc... .also so common, everyone has one, nothing "special" about it

All of these (sans 997 GT3) could be had not too far from $70k, so they sit in the same price band...

Quick Reply: NA vs 993TT vs 996TT