Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 vs 96-98 993's

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 04:35 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"San Francisco Syndrome"???? I thought that's when you run around with a flower in your hair preaching peace while trying to figure out if your LSD was working!!!
try this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/349361-is-there-an-easy-way-of-testing-if-lsd-is-functioning.html
Old 05-04-2007, 04:43 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CN
Yes, this sounds dumb!!!

When I was 18, I had a Yamaha 750. The 710 light kept coming on so I disconnected the wire as it annoyed me. Who needs a dang 710 anyway (I thought). The moral of the story is... Don't ignor the warning lights as they are trying to warn you about something may be wrong. As I experienced, I ran out of 710 and seazed the engine.
Your ignorance is apparent on this issue. The SAI problem does nothing to affect performance or reliability, it's an emissions thing. Therefore, useless and not worth worrying about. Anyone who wants to spend thousand of $$ fixing it, go right ahead. But it's foolish to do so unless you live in CA or some other **** state.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:53 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Your ignorance is apparent on this issue. The SAI problem does nothing to affect performance or reliability, it's an emissions thing. Therefore, useless and not worth worrying about. Anyone who wants to spend thousand of $$ fixing it, go right ahead. But it's foolish to do so unless you live in CA or some other **** state.
I know of a couple folks who cars are running fine with a lil piece of black tape on the dash board.........it's when you start burning oil you need to be concern...or if ur in a ...**** state...lol
Old 05-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

But...Are not clogged SAI ports the canary in the worn valve guide coalmine (hence so many "premature" valve jobs?)
It seems that OBD1 and earlier 911s can wear their valves out in blissful ignorance - until they consume oil and blow smoke - with no early SAI code/CEL, while OBD 2 cars merely sound the alarm a lot earlier than most of us would be willing to concede a valve job is warranted.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

BTW - 120k miles here and no clogged SAI ports worn valves or CELs. The secret is to drive the **** out of the car everyday (40 spirited miles roundtrip for me), and practice good maintenance habits...
Old 05-04-2007, 05:39 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Edward
Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the board! There is LOTS on this question in the archives. Grab a drink and sit back. But for the record, 95s are simply better.
...ok, that'll get 'em started

Edward
You called it. Page 5 and growing.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:42 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
But...Are not clogged SAI ports the canary in the worn valve guide coalmine (hence so many "premature" valve jobs?)
It seems that OBD1 and earlier 911s can wear their valves out in blissful ignorance - until they consume oil and blow smoke - with no early SAI code/CEL, while OBD 2 cars merely sound the alarm a lot earlier than most of us would be willing to concede a valve job is warranted.
An SAI CEL is not a good indicator of worn valve guides. There is only a vague correlation between the two. A bad SAI check valve or, as pointed out earlier, alot of engine start/stops on short trips are big contributors. Because there are several causes is why some can get an SAI CEL at 25K miles and others not at all. A better indicator of worn guides is oil consumption on an engine that has good compression/leakdown.

-Jim
Old 05-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimbo3
An SAI CEL is not a good indicator of worn valve guides. There is only a vague correlation between the two. A bad SAI check valve or, as pointed out earlier, alot of engine start/stops on short trips are big contributors. Because there are several causes is why some can get an SAI CEL at 25K miles and others not at all. A better indicator of worn guides is oil consumption on an engine that has good compression/leakdown.
-Jim
I remember hearing/reading that clogged SAI ports pointed to very, very early signs of inevitable premature valve wear, but what do I know...As I mentioned earlier, mine has 120k miles on it, it's been three thousand miles since the last oil top up and the oil level hasn't budged...

Thankfully, SOME of the OBD2 variorams appear to be bombproof.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
I must give credit to that thread, it was part of my inspiration.

I just got back from my "Italian tune-up" run on Highway-101. Hope it keeps those ports clean!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:08 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Butzi (chef_jmr)
I must give credit to that thread, it was part of my inspiration.

I just got back from my "Italian tune-up" run on Highway-101. Hope it keeps those ports clean!
Right there with you, brother. If I run into Ponch, John or Grossie on the 405 South tomorrow at 6:30 a.m. on 405 South on the way to Cars & Coffee, I'll tell 'em I'm just doing required maintenance and to check RL for proof
Old 05-04-2007, 11:39 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

1995, why? 156k and counting.........
Old 05-04-2007, 11:45 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

>>>this may sound really dumb, but what is the problem wiht just putting a piece of black tape over the check engine light if the reason is some silly air bag issue. I have done that on other spendy hi tech cars where the problem really wasn't one.<<<

>>Your ignorance is apparent on this issue. The SAI problem does nothing to affect performance or reliability, it's an emissions thing. Therefore, useless and not worth worrying about. Anyone who wants to spend thousand of $$ fixing it, go right ahead. But it's foolish to do so unless you live in CA or some other **** state<<

What do you think happens when the CEL comes on? The ECU defaults into a preprogrammed mode limiting the range of the full mass air flow/O2 feedback system. Sure it will run, but in the 'old days' it was called 'limp in', or 'open loop'. Depending on what fault is generated, it may or may not cause further engine damage and you may or may not notice any change in performance. (most faults today are simply idiot lights, as in Evap Leak, or, you left the gas cap off)
Old 05-04-2007, 11:58 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964

Dude,
Who rammed a stick up your *** today. Not all of us here on rennlist are the worlds greatest expert on everything Porsche like you and California is not a **** state, unlike places down south where the KKK is alive, well and preaching hate.

IMHO, you are a complete & total *** for making such a statement!...................ZP44
Old 05-05-2007, 12:34 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 239 Posts

Old 05-05-2007, 12:40 AM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Quick Reply: 1995 vs 96-98 993's