Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by allill
Finn,

How often do you go through rubber with that much negative camber?
Jeff,

I haven't really paid attention on mileage but I just replaced the rears that from outside were still ok (not much thread but still on the borderline of being ok) but inside were totallyu corded, with metal showing.

I think it might be wirth swap tyres from left to right but haven't though about that yet.

Track tyres wear pretty evenly since the driving is much more aggressive.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:03 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "lack of bump steer"
On many cars like ours with zero or negative scrub radius, a 10mm+ change in offset combined with wider sticky tires makes the front end bump steer and follow road irregularities much more than stock. Most people woudn't notice. Some people would go nuts from it. If Russ is a steering feel fanatic, he might be worried about it.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:00 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

a steering feel fanatic
Thanks John, but no, I have enough "knowledge" through my education on Rennlist to ask about bump steer. That's about where it ends.

Thank you to all the Rennlisters who helped with the above information.

I just "pulled the trigger" and bought them!

Now to learn about tires.... (Any references to threads or suggested search terms?)
I'm currently running P-zeros on my CupIIs. Only because the PO had those on the front and I needed tires for the rears when I bought the car.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:19 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your tire choices will also depend on what camber you are running and also whether you will roll your fenders, but generally for 10" you can use 265-295 and 225-245 for 8.5". I like PS2s but they fit a little wider than my previous SO3s, don't come in 285/30 and the 245 size is hard to come by. Given your concern about rubbing with the more aggressive offset, you could run the PS2 in 275/35 in the rear with 235/40 up front...both these sizes will work with your new rims and this combo will dial out some of your understeer.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,782 Likes on 1,706 Posts

Congrats, those are some great looking wheels.

I've recently done quite a bit of research on tire brands here on RL and by speaking with tire dealers and guys at AX etc. At the end of the whole excercise, my conclusion is that PS2s are the best way to go for DD. Best feedback and best performance in different temps and conditions. The downsides are cost and durability. I guess for people to give you better opinions on tires, you might want to specify what you expect from your tires, what the use is going to be and what conditions you'll be driving under.

PS - The wider offset actually tuned out some of the bump steer and makes the car feel more planted. The nervousness that our cars are prone to at high speeds on long sweeps has been greatly reduced after the spacers were installed.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you what not to buy if you are worried about fitment. The Michelin Pilot Sport Ribs, which are otherwise very good tires (Viken used to love them), have a "rib" that protects the rim lip that protrudes out beyond the sidewall, making the tire a bit wider at that point than it otherwise would. I have no rubbing yet, but the extension of the rib makes the tires look too wide for my car.

Quick Reply: Yet another - will these fit? (rims)