Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Drop Link popped off - fixable??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drop Link popped off - fixable??

I just noticed it today.
Can this this be snapped back in or do I need a new one??

Old 04-29-2007, 02:28 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I am sure it would pop back on, but at this point, the plastic bushing or 'race' is bruised at a minimum. Replace it.

It appears the reason it popped out is the clocking on that perch. Needs to be pointing towards the inside of the car, not so much towards the back end of the car.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:42 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Jeff, I would replace it.
I have posted at the end of Jeff's DIY, a small comment.
After replacing the drop link, with the right clocking of the link, loosen the sway bar from both sides to do this,
and tighten the sway bar bushings, with the car on its four wheels on the floor, after installing the drop links. you have to put the car over a car well (hole).

Last edited by geolab; 04-29-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
Jeff, I would replace it.
I have posted at the end of Jeff's DIY, a small comment.
After replacing the drop link, with the right clocking of the link, loosen the sway bar from both sides to do this,
and tighten the sway bar bushings, with the car on its four wheels on the floor, after installing the drop links. you have to put the car over a car well (hole).
......or with the car on a hoist or jack stands, jack each wheel or hub up until the axle is at normal ride height: then, rotate/clock the drop link mount to allow the drop link to be vertical ... and torque everything.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys!
Old 04-29-2007, 07:56 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is also explained in the DIY--but you need to make sure that when the car is weighted, the link is vertical so that any suspension movement will load the sway bar directly from above, rather than exerting a twisting motion.

If you get any twisting, you will either snap the drop link (pictured above) or loosen the spring perch.

Unweighted, there will be a slight tilting toward the rear, but the key is straight when the suspension is weighted.

(R25.) Install the new drop links between the ends of the rear sway bar and the drop link bracket extending from the Bilstein HD shock using a 15mm socket and a 16mm wrench positioned between the drop link and the rear sway bar. Do not completely tighten.

TIP: It is critical that the rear drop links are properly positioned and tighten, including the drop link bracket on the Bilstein HD shocks. Although it is possible to generally set the drop link orientation with the vehicle raised, it is easier to lower the rear of the car to put weight on the rear wheels. While doing so, you will then want to position the rear drop links and drop link brackets on the Bilstein HD shocks so that the end of the drop link bracket is in the same plane as the end of the rear sway bar when viewed directly from below. Once this is achieved, the rear drop links and drop link bracket/locking collar can be tightened. Proper positioning of these drop links ensure that the rear drop links do not break, twist, or contact the rear suspension components while driving.

Quick Reply: Drop Link popped off - fixable??